Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's hear is for Red Bull for...

for having FOUR non-paying drivers.

especially STR. I mean, how many teams that size don't try to go after paying drivers?

I think it's cool that Red Bull hires the best drivers they can afford instead of taking a pay driver

way to go Red Bull!
    "Approach racing like billiards - bash the ball too hard, get nowhere." Juan Manuel Fangio

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    I agree. It is refreshing to see this, particularly when we hear rumours that Berger and STR are, shall we say, on the lookout for finance. Surely the best way to raise stable finance long-term is to raise your performance by having half-decent drivers in your cars.

It's great to see a company like Red Bull not being intimidated by the big teams, and having REAL ambition. It has been suggested that STR have spoken to some very big name drivers in recent months.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Having real ambition means keeping DC in your team?
    Getting Adrian Newey could be considered a step towards that but unless DC is strictly a test driver for a really good car coming next year, he is never going to get you some real cutting edge in the driving department.

As for STR, they must have fished around but ended up with the same driver combo as last year..the much hyped Liuzzi did not do that well in the v10.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In the case of Toro Rosso assuming the drivers are Liuzzi and Speed, the kind of are pay drivers its just that their company that has backed their careers owns 50% the team.
    Extremely impressed with the first 43 laps of Bourdais' race

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeall
    In the case of Toro Rosso assuming the drivers are Liuzzi and Speed, the kind of are pay drivers its just that their company that has backed their careers owns 50% the team.
    You can't be a pay driver for those who pay you!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    You can't be a pay driver for those who pay you!
    That's true but I think the analogy Mikeall made is valid. Are Speed and Liuzzi at STR because of their ability or because Red Bull is trying the cover the investment it has made in their careers? I don't think they have earn't the drive on merit, much like a pay driver doesn't. The only real difference is the direction the money goes.

An article in F1 Racing this months states that Berger approached Mika Hakkinen, Juan Pablo Montoya and Sebastien Bourdais about drives for 2007. JPM and Bourdais were already committed in the USA and Hakkinen proved to be too slow in his McLaren test so nothing has come of the approaches.

If Berger was happy with the drivers he had he wouldn't be looking at other guys. OK, he's looking for a "name" to help with sponsorship but Liuzzi has had time to establish himself and I'm sure Speed would garner more interest from American sponsors than Bourdais, who's French.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    An article in F1 Racing this months states that Berger approached Mika Hakkinen, Juan Pablo Montoya and Sebastien Bourdais about drives for 2007. JPM and Bourdais were already committed in the USA and Hakkinen proved to be too slow in his McLaren test so nothing has come of the approaches.
    I can't imagine what JPM would think about driving for STR! I think Mika at STR would be a sad sight for a 2 time WDC.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    If Berger was happy with the drivers he had he wouldn't be looking at other guys. OK, he's looking for a "name" to help with sponsorship but Liuzzi has had time to establish himself and I'm sure Speed would garner more interest from American sponsors than Bourdais, who's French.
    That's why in 2008 it might very well be Bourdais and Speed.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    speed needs to get on the gas this year and pound the **** out of luzzi. If not he is a good candidate for a top champ car drive!!!!
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Christian Klien would punk either one of these wana be's
    May the forza be with you