Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061
    Liked 3,104 Times in 1,672 Posts
    It goes back to the main question. Is MSport doing everything to win one or both titles (even with limited budget)?

The answer seems to be no for 2022. It's "good enough" effort to keep the business running and Ford reasonably happy.

Tbh I can't really remember when was the last time they went all in during the last 10 years. Maybe something like 2011?
    2017-2018 they pushed and used money for driver title, but 2017 manu title was "unexpected success" (Tanak seemingly improving a lot and DMACK dominating two rallies with different tire), for 2018 they seemingly already gave up on manu title. (much less priority for other drivers than Ogier).

2. Likes: AndyRAC (27th October 2021),AnttiL (27th October 2021)
    Liked 445 Times in 225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    It goes back to the main question. Is MSport doing everything to win one or both titles (even with limited budget)?

The answer seems to be no for 2022. It's "good enough" effort to keep the business running and Ford reasonably happy.

Tbh I can't really remember when was the last time they went all in during the last 10 years. Maybe something like 2011?
    2017-2018 they pushed and used money for driver title, but 2017 manu title was "unexpected success" (Tanak seemingly improving a lot and DMACK dominating two rallies with different tire), for 2018 they seemingly already gave up on manu title. (much less priority for other drivers than Ogier).
    Well I guess it depends if they have the money to fund another driver or not. Ultimately they can only be as serious as the budget allows.
    On the other side, it depends on the desire of someone like Mikkelsen to put up the funds to get into the car….but then I would also understand guys being a little cautious with their cash until they have seen how competitive the Puma is.

4. Likes: AndyRAC (27th October 2021)
    Liked 10,435 Times in 4,162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    This is something which has been puzzling for me all the time. How on Earth could they be happy with this? If I was them I either go for it fully or I don't bother spend any money at all.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

6. Likes: AndyRAC (27th October 2021),pantealex (27th October 2021)
    Liked 856 Times in 475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    This is something which has been puzzling for me all the time. How on Earth could they be happy with this? If I was them I either go for it fully or I don't bother spend any money at all.
    I quite agree; in the end, it seems as if they're possibly somewhere in between.....

However, I've seen some comments that suggest they put as little in as possible - if M-Sport are unsuccessful, then it's not cost Ford too much; whereas if M-Sport win/do well, then it reflects well on Ford who can bask in any glory.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

8. Likes: AnttiL (27th October 2021)
    Liked 3,104 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Yes, it seems that since it's MSport competing and not "Ford WRT" they do it like Andy says.

After Goodwood this year with Ford execs present I had some hope Ford is more serious with the Puma, but since then it seems like it's "same old" and they are just going for max PR for least money.

That's imo basically the story with Loeb as well and reason why he most likely doesn't pay. Sure his development feedback is likely usefull, but it's not like he is the only driver ever involved in developing a fast car (the most dominant car in last 15 years was udoubtedly Polo). But when he tests the car or starts, massive PR is assumed.
    Funnily enough I would say PR value diminishes if he starts too many rallies and doesn't fight for top spots in them. (see his PR value from Sweden 2019 for example). So there's imo very little chance that he will do more than some 4-5 rounds.