Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hill: McLaren move right for Alonso

Having found this article by coincidence:

Former world champion Damon Hill believes Fernando Alonso has made the right decision in switching to the McLaren team for 2007.

The Spanish driver has moved to the British squad after winning two titles in a row with Renault, joining McLaren after they endured their first win-less season in a decade in 2006.

Despite that, Hill believes the move will help Alonso prove that he can make a contribution and win with another team.

"It has been a bold move by him, he's a brave driver and he shows that in every decision," Hill, speaking at the fourth Motor Show Festival in Zaragoza, Spain, was quoted as saying by Marca.

"It's a very risky bet but I think it's the best decision he could have made.

"For a driver it's very important to show that it's him who is making a contribution to the team. When you are in the same team for a long time people might start to think that success is the result of the car more than the driver.

"With this decision, Fernando wants to prove that he can win with another team. It's the same thing Valentino Rossi did when he moved from Yamaha, it's a big risk, but it shows the quality of the man," added Hill, refering to the MotoGP champion who left the powerful Honda team to switch to rivals Yamaha.

Although Hill says it's too early to make predictions for 2007, the 1996 world champion would bet on Alonso to win a third straight title.

"It's still early to talk about favourites. Nevertheless, Fernando is responding better than I had expected initially. If I had to bet money I'd put it on Alonso," Hill added.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

But in retrospect, Hill went from WDC at Williams to midfield at Arrows...I'm not sure he's the best one to judge when it's right to change teams.

As for Alonso, time will tell...
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    But in retrospect, Hill went from WDC at Williams to midfield at Arrows...I'm not sure he's the best one to judge when it's right to change teams.

Well said mate
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Oh that was too easy wasnt it?
    Ayrton Senna, Legend. R.I.P.

\"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. Because we are competing. We are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for a victory. It is not to come third, fourth, fifth or sixth. I race to win\".

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Well to be fair it wasn't his choice to change from Williams...

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    Well to be fair it wasn't his choice to change from Williams...

Having almost won in the Arrows, Hill also then went to Jordan, showing he could win in something other than a Williams, so I'd say he's well qualified to comment on Alonso's move.

It is a risky move. Credit to Alonso for making it.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1

Having almost won in the Arrows,.
    But he did not.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Hill also then went to Jordan, showing he could win in something other than a Williams, so I'd say he's well qualified to comment on Alonso's move.
    Did he won any race after Williams?
    Michael Schumacher has not won 7 world championships by driving like a christian motorist, David Coulthard on the other hand...... - J. Clarkson

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fly_ac
    Did he win any race after Williams?
    Yes!

You have to remember with the Alonso move it wasn't "I've just won two world championships, lets now look for a new challenge" it was more like "Holy crap, Renault are going to pull out of F1 and Ron is offering me mega £££, I'm off!"
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fly_ac
    Did he won any race after Williams?
    You, my good man, need a lesson in F1 history:

The 1998 Belgian Grand Prix.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah!! it was more based on what alonso thought would give him a better chance for WDC...
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese: