Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 0-60 mph times

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    @ Nenukknak:
    Are you trying to tell me something that you just know from hearsay? You have been an 8-year-old kid when the GpB cars had already left rallying...

Audi built a total of 220 Sport quattros (134 red, 48 white, 21 blue, 15 green, 2 black), and definitely not 240. About 170 road going units were sold to privateers, while Audi self used 45 of the 220. The unwinged car was the Audi Sport quattro for both, street use and rallying. The winged car was the Audi Sport quattro S1 (some may call it the 'E1' version of the Sport quattro). There have been no WRCs of Audi Sport that were called 'E2' by them.

And the Audi AG never used a capital Q for the quattro, as the Italian word is written with a small q.

BTW, you don't need to tell me anything about the Ford RS200 'Evolution'. I was with Martin Schanche when he debuted the first ever RS200 'E' (in RX we use the tag 'E2') at the 1986 British RX GP in December at Brands Hatch. One week later we were together with John Taylor and Stig Blomqvist at Bologna in Italy where Schanche did the second 'Memorial Bettega' on invitation by Ford. Stig, who used a 1.8 litre WRC that weekend, had a test drive with Martin's 2.1 litre RS200 to call it subsequently an "absolutely undriveable car". The Ford RS200 'Evolution' was homologated purely for RX and about half of the 20 cars were regularely used in the ERC between 1987 and 1992.
    RX = You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rx-guru
    Without watching the entire clip this is the true Rally GpB stuff of the mid 1980s and I am almost certain that exactely those WRC cars did the 0–100km/h sprint never in under 3 seconds. BTW, did you ever see those beasts live during their time or do you know them by watching old videos only...?
    Born in 1974, do your counts and Nenukknak pwned you ^^

Btw, who cares about RX ? We are talking about Gr.B cars acceleration.
    And they could do those performances (100km/h in less than 3 sec), you can know whoever and whatever, bragging about your age, knowledge and friends, it still remains a fact you can't deny.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    @ Nenukknak:
    Are you trying to tell me something that you just know from hearsay? You have been an 8-year-old kid when the GpB cars had already left rallying...

Audi built a total of 220 Sport quattros (134 red, 48 white, 21 blue, 15 green, 2 black), and definitely not 240. About 170 road going units were sold to privateers, while Audi self used 45 of the 220. The unwinged car was the Audi Sport quattro for both, street use and rallying. The winged car was the Audi Sport quattro S1 (some may call it the 'E1' version of the Sport quattro). There have been no WRCs of Audi Sport that were called 'E2' by them.

And the Audi AG never used a capital Q for the quattro, as the Italian word is written with a small q.

BTW, you don't need to tell me anything about the Ford RS200 'Evolution'. I was with Martin Schanche when he debuted the first ever RS200 'E' (in RX we use the tag 'E2') at the 1986 British RX GP in December at Brands Hatch. One week later we were together with John Taylor and Stig Blomqvist at Bologna in Italy where Schanche did the second 'Memorial Bettega' on invitation by Ford. Stig, who used a 1.8 litre WRC that weekend, had a test drive with Martin's 2.1 litre RS200 to call it subsequently an "absolutely undriveable car". The Ford RS200 'Evolution' was homologated purely for RX and about half of the 20 cars were regularely used in the ERC between 1987 and 1992.
    A lot of people call the S1 the E2. It's just the way it is. Me? Personally I call it the S1 but E2 is also perfectly acceptable.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Helstar
    Born in 1974, do your counts and Nenukknak pwned you ^^

Btw, who cares about RX ? We are talking about Gr.B cars acceleration.
    And they could do those performances (100km/h in less than 3 sec), you can know whoever and whatever, bragging about your age, knowledge and friends, it still remains a fact you can't deny.
    Blimey chap, I don't give even 1 cent in return for your 2 cent. Prove your so-called "fact" by serious references instead of trying to read your knowledge out of old videos or gossip. And if you can't – on yer bike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    A lot of people call the S1 the E2. It's just the way it is.
    Okay! People can also call an apple a pear. As long as they do not try to make the world believe that an apple is a pear...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    @ Nenukknak:

If I believe you than I would again hear it from hearsay, so what changes then?? Everything I know from that era is from hearsay, since as you so wisely point out I was too young to even know of rallying back then.

But that doesn't mean I haven't read the books of respectable authors/reporters that are at least as if not more credible than you as a source (I don't know you, so this is nothing against you)

I'm not denying that Audi didn't build 240 sport quattros, I was just explaining the homologation procedure. Most of the S1s were simply converted to the E2.

The unwinged car for the road and the one used for rally, were certainly different. hence the S1 for the competition version.

As even Roehrl calls it the E2 and never uses the term S1, I'm gonna go with my version on this one. I can also imagine that what is stated on homologation papers is different than what is popular reference (even by AUDI).

One more thing I will say. For you as a reporter to discard my knowledge (be that correctly or false)/comments on the basis that I was just a kid and just hear it from hearsay is pretty pour, and is an arrogant and stupid viewpoint. Ok, we get it, you are old, you were there and that makes you mister know it all.
    While I (as young as I am) read about those things by reading books/articles just as you as a reporter probably make. By your rationale, who reads your articles still doesn't know anything because he wasn't there. What's the point of journalists then?
    Rest in peace Richard

Liked 657 Times in 352 Posts
    David Williams on Klein's Rally Cars, page 382:
    "Some regard all short Quattros as S1s, but if so, some were more equal than others. The 1985 evolution, with its cowcatcher front spoiler and huge rear wings, was a very different machine that restored Audi's self-respect, if not it's dominance and was homologated as Quattro E2".

Both Martin Holmes' World Rallying 8 and 9 (1985, 1986) call it "Audi Sport Quattro E2".

Both Rallycourse 1985 and 1986 call it "Audi Quattro Sport S1".
    Additionally, Martin Sharp on 1985 technical review (page 46) writes "but with the development the S1 chassis - relocating as many ancillary components as possible in the rear of the car - Audi got its static weight distribution to 52 front / 48 rear".

Jeremy Walton refers to it in Rallyworld 1986, writing "It took another evolution of the Quattro (July 1985's winged S1)" (page 123).
    Also in technical specification list it's title "Audi Sport Quattro S1".

Both Graham Robson's "MRP Rally Library vol 1: Audi" and "Kimberley's Rally Team Guide 1" were printed before the car debuted.

So, both E2 and S1 are used to refer to the latest spec Audi quattro. But neither Holmes' World Rallying 7 (1984) nor Rallycourse 1984 call the short quattro as S1, instead use name "Audi Quattro Sport" (the place of word "Sport" being different between them).

I'd call that indecisive except that there is no evidence of calling the first version as S1.

I call 'em Audi quattro Sport and Audi quattro S1 respectively (with small q, S1 reserved solely for 2nd evolution and without the word "sport").

Liked 657 Times in 352 Posts
    Just my 2c, I am not going to get involved in this argument any further.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka
    Just my 2c, I am not going to get involved in this argument any further.
    Smart

By the way, the way you stated it is how I always thought it. The latest info I got comes from "the rise and fall rallying wildest cars". The english part leaves some to be desired, but the german part reads:

"The sport quattro was homologated at 1st of may 1984 with number B264. It had 150mm knocked off its wheelbase while now a conventional 5-cylinder engine benefitted from a new head with four valves per cylinder plus an increased compression ratio to raise the power by at least another 50bhp. And they did a limited run of special cars to enable a simultaneous evolution to give them a modest rear wing to improve downforce and kevlar body panels to lighten the whole package as well as widening the wheel arches. The weight balance was addressed by moving the oil cooler to the boot. This car was generally known under the name Sport quattro, although officially it was named the Sport Quattro S1."

This source gives me homologation numbers and dates, so I also suspect that they have gotten the names under which the cars were homologated. And till I see homologation papers stating otherwise, I'll believe this.

Now this is also my last comment on this insignificant, totally off the subject, stupid (although fun ) debate. I rest my case, believe what you will.
    Rest in peace Richard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blimey chap, I don't give even 1 cent in return for your 2 cent. Prove your so-called "fact" by serious references instead of trying to read your knowledge out of old videos or gossip. And if you can't – on yer bike!
    First of all, mentally you are just an arrogant child even if you are phisically 80 years old.

Second, I was there ah

Third, just rush in the first page and see what other people have reported. Serious references.

Last but not least, whatever I ride/drive is still better than your