Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't really see the problem with the current format.

Though I think a lot of time would have been saved to just keep the old 12 lap format, but insist at least 1 lap is done within the first 15 minutes.

In a perfect world (for me anyway), I'd scrap qualifying altogether. And the grid would be in reverse to what championship standing order is.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PolePosition_1
    I don't really see the problem with the current format.

Though I think a lot of time would have been saved to just keep the old 12 lap format, but insist at least 1 lap is done within the first 15 minutes.

In a perfect world (for me anyway), I'd scrap qualifying altogether. And the grid would be in reverse to what championship standing order is.
    Can't live with this one PP.

On tracks like Monoco, you will have a FI winning. What's the point in that?

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    I think qualifying should be a 1 hour session.

Low fuel so the quickest car/driver gets pole on speed not race strategy

Every driver must set a competitive lap time in each 15mins segment.

No knockout feature or anything like it.

Simple
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Can't live with this one PP.

On tracks like Monoco, you will have a FI winning. What's the point in that?
    Yeah, I accept I'm in the minority here, and can fully appreciate why people are against that.

But for me, everyone would be in the same boat, so no one would be unfairly disadvantaged.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I think qualifying should be a 1 hour session.

Low fuel so the quickest car/driver gets pole on speed not race strategy

Every driver must set a competitive lap time in each 15mins segment.

No knockout feature or anything like it.

Simple
    Whilst I can see the appeal of such a system. Such a system would just totally discourage overtaking and close racing.

Whilst F1 is about being the fastest combination winning. I think a more important part is race craft and racing wheel-to-wheel.

And putting the fastest car first and slowest last. Your doing the very best you can to limit racing.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PolePosition_1
    Whilst I can see the appeal of such a system. Such a system would just totally discourage overtaking and close racing.

Whilst F1 is about being the fastest combination winning. I think a more important part is race craft and racing wheel-to-wheel.

And putting the fastest car first and slowest last. Your doing the very best you can to limit racing.
    But F1 is all about being the fastest, and getting to the finishing line first. Why should some effectively be penalised by doing that job better than the others?

I guess the answer to that has become "for the sake of the show"
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    This idea that putting the fastest cars at the back is a flawed one in my opinion.

It works when 1 or 2 fast cars are at the back but not when ALL the fast cars are at the back. It's no easier for a Ferrari to pass a McLaren for 18th than it is to pass for 1st. If you put the Ferraris, McLarens and BMWs at the back then they'd have to pass each other as well as the Renaults, Toyotas etc, which they struggle to do now.

I think all you end up doing is gifting wins to mid-grid teams who are fast enough to pass the Hondas and fast enough to pull out a big enough lead to stay ahead of the quick guys who are fighting at the back for 16th place.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Dear FIA,

Regarding qualifying: hows about this for a radical idea?

An hour long session, right, where all cars are free to run as much or as little as they choose, use whatever tyres they want, and however many sets they want, and however much or little fuel they want.

Thennn......at the end of the session, I've devised a little technique for sorting the cars into order. Bear with me on this, but what you do is for each car, take the fastest lap time they recorded in that session, then arrange the cars from fastest to slowest.

Hey presto! You have your starting grid for the race.

Don't like it? Oh well here's an idea more in thinking with your principles:

A one-legged sack race where competitors carry weights in the bottom of their sack proportionate to the number of championship points they have scored, where the leading 10 finishers play sixes with a loaded dice, eliminating further four competitors, before a game of Russian Roulette (sponsored by Bridgestone of course) to decide who sits on pole. Much more entertaining, right?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V12
    Dear FIA,

Regarding qualifying: hows about this for a radical idea?

An hour long session, right, where all cars are free to run as much or as little as they choose, use whatever tyres they want, and however many sets they want, and however much or little fuel they want.

Thennn......at the end of the session, I've devised a little technique for sorting the cars into order. Bear with me on this, but what you do is for each car, take the fastest lap time they recorded in that session, then arrange the cars from fastest to slowest.

Hey presto! You have your starting grid for the race.

Don't like it? Oh well here's an idea more in thinking with your principles:

A one-legged sack race where competitors carry weights in the bottom of their sack proportionate to the number of championship points they have scored, where the leading 10 finishers play sixes with a loaded dice, eliminating further four competitors, before a game of Russian Roulette (sponsored by Bridgestone of course) to decide who sits on pole. Much more entertaining, right?
    Dear V12

Although I have rather a punishing schedule, I feel that as head of the FIA, I have to consider your proposals in detail.

The first idea is just diabolical and only a certified halfwit would dream up such a masochistic trial to inflict on the general public. After having a run-in with the great unwashed earlier this year, I can only conclude that they don't deserve the disgraceful humiliation you propose and will not treat them to such a depraved spectacle. I don't see why we should treat them

Your second idea is much more logical and the work of a genius. I suggest we canvas opinion from the teams and implement it as soon as practical. In fact, if you could figure out a way of getting medals for the first 3 pole setters (just to keep little Bernie happy. He's feeling a bit unloved now the bint has left home), a point for every person in a even qualifying position and some way of making sure anything associated with Ron Dennis starts from the back, we'll just say we have agreement from all the teams and implement it anyway.

Keep up the good work. Please remember to change your name to V4 to reflect the new engine configuration we're going to bring in under the "cost cutting" chestnut (yes, the teams are still falling for that one) and I'll see you at my "special" Christmas bash in London. Bring your own Gimp mask.

Friendly whippings

Maxypoo XXX

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I donīt like being the devilīs advocate here but I think itīs the teams that came up with this silly idea not FIA