Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What can we expect from the SX4 WRC?

Now that we're about to see the debut of the Suzuki WRT, there's a lot of speculation from the fans and the media wheather the competitiveness of the car. Remembering how Citroën entered in the top category of the championship (coming from the JWRC too) a couple of years ago, they had a prety good season in 2002 and a great first full one in 2003. Despite differences, we all know the French team had the bests drivers to develop the car (RIP Colin, Sèb and King Carlos), and that Suzuki may not have that type of success, but what can we really expect from the newcoming team, not only for the two rallyes there it will participate this season, but also next year?

I think they'll have a prety good debut, as the objective this weekend is to continue testing the car and to get to the finish. Bernardi will do fine, not looking forward for a great result, but to keep developing the car for sext season.

I hope Suzuki WRT, having the great amount of experience gained in JWRC over the past few years, won't be a new Skoda (slow and unreliable) or a new recently Subaru (fast but unreliable or reliable without having the speed needed). Despite Citroën made the same jump from the Junior category to WRC a few years ago, Ford is the best example of a fast, reliable and winning car and, of course, a good role model.

Good luck Suzuki! My best wishes and welcome to the top of the sport!

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Citroen did not make the jump from JWRC to WRC they had F2 car which was able to win WRC on dry tarmac so it was totally different thing than Suzuki's jump from JWRC to WRC.
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 657 Times in 352 Posts
    Citroen developed their cars years before the WRC debut. Xsara WRC (then called T4) ran first time late 1999, achieved ERC title in 2000 and made WRC debut in 2001 Catalunya, while C4 WRC first ran in 2004 and made debut this year.

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts

In anger

You always have to drive a car in real anger to find limits and where you loose compared to the opposition.

I dont expect too much straight away, but hopefully they are able to get up there during 08 ! It blows hard at the top - just look at Subaru !

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    I hink we should not expect anythingspeciall fom the debut,as it is consedered a testand not thereal attemp for results.

Anyway some isolated good times could show potential of theSuzuki
    Zeque
    Argentina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka
    Citroen developed their cars years before the WRC debut. Xsara WRC (then called T4) ran first time late 1999, achieved ERC title in 2000.
    Don't remember Citroën winning the ERC title in 2000. I know Thiry drove the Kit Car version in that years championship, though it was a tough year for him. T4 won the 2000 French Championship with total dominance of Bugalski.

Back to Suzuki, I don´t expect much of them, but that won´t be shame either. Reliability is important.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think they'll be cautious on day 1, more agressive on day 2 and hopefully try hard the last day. In any case they'll be way off the pace but I expect them to show some promise.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't expect them to finish in the points, as they said a number of times, it's only testing, not competition. They have to finish, so I would image that they will go for it on the last day if they perform ok in the first two.

I wish for Suzuki to become a real WRC contender, unlike Subaru. :/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some top 10 times with a finish around 12-15...
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 178 Times in 78 Posts
    We have to remember that this is a test, they don't have the best driver in the world, and the car has never done a rally before.

It all comes down to £££'s?or $$$ lol. Does anyone know what kind of a budget they are running on?

Japanese manufactures don't usually do thing by halves in motorsport and fingers crossed Suzuki wont either. I can't see them being another Skoda/Hyundai etc, i don't think anyone could be so naive in todays world of rallying to believe that success will come without cost. The top end of the WRC (Ford/Citroen) really are streets ahead...only a fool would go into this game at half throttle!