Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My grandmother was killed in a car accident. Maybe they should ban automobile-related advertising . . .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    Then alcohol advertising should go, too? That would make the sport appear even healthier!
    Tobacco is 1000 times more suggestive than alcohol though. But answer this; what good would come from tobacco advertising? Name even one positive thing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seamusoldfield
    My grandmother was killed in a car accident. Maybe they should ban automobile-related advertising . . .
    That is a very stupid argument. My mother died from a heart attack, should we ban attacks too? The bottom line is that if tobacco is bad for health, there is NOTHING bad from banning tobacco advertising, nothing whatsoever.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VresiBerba
    Tobacco is 1000 times more suggestive than alcohol though. But answer this; what good would come from tobacco advertising? Name even one positive thing.
    I am a tobacco (only) smoker, and I enjoy my Vodka now and then, (probably more than I should) and I can't think of anything positive about tobacco or alcohol advertising.

That being said, I did not start smoking because of advertising, I have my stupid reasons, but that's irrelevant.
    I think 99,99999.....% of tobacco smoker will say the same. Banning tobacco advertising on F1 cars are not going to help to make me stop smoking or for that matter prevent anyone from starting.
    I'm also not going to buy a Merc, BMW, Honda, Ferrari, Spyker, Toyota or whatever because I watch F1.

The more you tell someone they/he/she can't or are not allowed to do something the better the chance they/he/she will want to prove you wrong.

I watch F1 for the excitement that motorsport can and should deliver. I don't care who advertise what on a F1 car.

Anyone for a mokin:
    Michael Schumacher has not won 7 world championships by driving like a christian motorist, David Coulthard on the other hand...... - J. Clarkson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fly_ac
    The more you tell someone they/he/she can't or are not allowed to do something the better the chance they/he/she will want to prove you wrong.
    Absolutely. That's why making tobacco ads dissappear is a good thing. Smoking is not forbidden, but people are not reminded about it all the time.

In Canada smoking has been reduced greatly in the last two decades (enough that every time I get to Europe it surprises me when I see people smoking everywhere). One of the tools used by the government has been banning ads. Of course it was not the only thing. But it worked.
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fly_ac
    I think 99,99999.....% of tobacco smoker will say the same. Banning tobacco advertising on F1 cars are not going to help to make me stop smoking or for that matter prevent anyone from starting.
    Then I'm one of those 0.00001 per cent. I didn't exactly start smoking because of advertising, and just like you that's a different story, but I choose my brand ONLY because of Yamaha running tobacco advertising in Paris-Dakar. When everyone was smoking Prince (Danish brand) and Marlboro, let me tell you how unique and special I felt smoking a brand few people even heard about, or that cool brand accociated with cool motorbike riders competing in the desert.

Today I'm free from my unhealthy habit, and it was like my life took a new turn when I finally managed to quit. In my opinion motorsport have lost nothing of it's appeal just because there no longer rolling billboards for an unhealthy product.

But answer this; what good would come from tobacco advertising? Name even one positive thing.
    Employment for tobacco farmers.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    ....let me tell you how unique and special I felt smoking a brand few people even heard about, or
    Yes, people do associate with brands to be cool or what ever, but people don't start smoking because of advertising. But please do not misunderstand; I also like to associate myself with certain brands, but not with tobacco products. So that is possibly why the impact of tobacco advertising is not important to me.

that cool brand accociated with cool motorbike riders competing in the desert..
    I smoked that same brand for a short while, only to be different at the time, not for the accociation it had to motorcycles. I know quiet a few motorcycle riders and to be honest I haven't see any of them with that brand of cigarette, some with clothing from that brand (G___o__es) yes, but I guess they won't attempt to smoke that. Well some of them might.

In my opinion motorsport have lost nothing of it's appeal just because there no longer rolling billboards for an unhealthy product.
    I agree completely
    Michael Schumacher has not won 7 world championships by driving like a christian motorist, David Coulthard on the other hand...... - J. Clarkson

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    I agree totally! I can't stand cigarette smoke, but should everything I hate be banned from advertising? My brother died of alcoholism, should I demand that they ban alcohol as well if they are so interested in "health" issues? Maybe I just lost all my tax data on an HP computer that crashed - should I hate HP as a sponsor?
    Which brings up a rather obscure reason I will use in defense of tobacco advertising? There are recovering addicts who without their cigs' would dive right into their illicit drug of choice.
    Upon proper guidance and education these people learn the mechanism that is what we generically call addiction.
    They gain the tools and many master their addictions including smoking. Every product that is sold is advertised, even if all it does is raise cost to the consumer, without changing a single persons mind as to which brand they should use. On a more philosophical, allegorical and metaphoric level,
    didn’t God advertise the apple on the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil to Adam and Eve?

Peace---Out
    May the forza be with you

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    Employment for tobacco farmers.
    And doctors who specialize in pulmonary diseases!
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty