Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

Johnny Herbert - wasted talent?

According to Alan Henry he was!

That left me flabbergasted when I flicked through F1 Racing mag!

Henry defined 'wasted talent' as drivers who went on a path of self destruction - others listed were Rene Arnoux, JPM, Jan Magnussen but no way Herbert asked to have his legs crushed, nor lacked motivation. Poor Herbert literally had to go through blood, sweat and tears to live the F1 dream after a horrendous accident at Brands Hatch.

Thoughts?

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    He must have been smoking that stuff again.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    I would also point out that this was the same person who said Fernando Alonso would be lucky to win another F1 race ever.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    I would also point out that this was the same person who said Fernando Alonso would be lucky to win another F1 race ever.
    Did Alan Henry really say that? He is more stupid than I thought he was then.

Herbert could have been so much more if not for his accident, but people tend to forget that when in Lotus he was usually faster than Mika Häkkinen in the same car.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    Herbert could have been so much more if not for his accident, but people tend to forget that when in Lotus he was usually faster than Mika Häkkinen in the same car.
    He was one of my favourite drivers when I really got into F1. Mika was usually quicker in quali but Herbert was better in races.

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    I remember the excitement when Johnny finished fourth in his first Grand Prix in Brazil in '89. Unfortunately, when circuits requiring harder braking came up, it became apparent that he had not fully recovered from the Brands crash.

His record against Hakkinen at Lotus gives a glimpse of what might have been. I was delighted when he won his three GPs, and equally thrilled for him when he won Le Mans with Mazda.

Rather than a wasted talent, I tend to regard Johnny as a "talent thwarted". He had all the credentials - a top karter, Formula Ford Festival winner and British Formula 3 champion.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Did Alan Henry really say that?
    Yes he did - it was in F1Racing a few months back.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Did Alan Henry really say that? He is more stupid than I thought he was then.
    So far he's right though
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think Herbert was always a strange one. When he was on form, the man was amazing. I remember 1999 when he raced the Stewart cars, and won at the Euro GP after a difficult season, and from that point on in the season, he was amazing. So the potential was there, but we rarely saw it.

I'd probably rate him like Heikki out of todays crops of drivers.

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    It would be interesting to know whether Johnny himself felt that he should have achieved more, or whether he is just grateful to have had such a lengthy career at the top, considering the accident in 88.