Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Customer Cars The Way to Go!!!!

Formula One has now been shown what the future could look like if Customer Cars are allowed.

Toro Rosso have shown that with good drivers and a powerful engine the Sister team could actually beat their Main Team, and this could make Formula One much more exciting with the Series suddenly depending more on the quality and skills of the drivers than the machinery.

This would be marvellous for the Fans and give the smaller teams a shot at mixing it with the big boys once they have talented drivers.

Surely teams like Williams and Force India must be looking at todays result with mixed feelings wondering if this may be their best hope of being competitive.

When the dust settles surely the Customer Car Issue must be the real story behind today`s race.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    F1 teams look at new customer car proposal
    SEPTEMBER 8, 2008
    http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20742.html

Formula 1 teams are studying a new proposal from the Formula One group that will allow for the continued use of customer cars in 2010 and beyond
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    I know it sort of goes against the ethos of F1, but it would have no complaints from me. If it makes for a far more competitive Championship, then bring it on.
    As a fan of both F1 & WRC, they both need a dose of realism. F1 is hung up on 'Constructors' building their own chassis - which is understandable, but currently unrealistic. Bring on the 'Customer' cars. Surely more cars with a possibility of challenging is what everybody wants?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    It's a tricky situation. I certainly want competitive teams in F1, but at the same time I don't want teams that have always been in for the long haul (like Williams) to get boned because they actually design and manufacture their own cars.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt
    F1 teams look at new customer car proposal
    SEPTEMBER 8, 2008
    http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20742.html
    I bet D Richards is chuffed to hear that......not!
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mervyn charter
    Toro Rosso have shown that with good drivers and a powerful engine the Sister team could actually beat their Main Team, and this could make Formula One much more exciting with the Series suddenly depending more on the quality and skills of the drivers than the machinery.
    Personally, I think that is a simplistic view. STR can stay alive when beating its A-team, because they have the same title-sponsor, so Red Bull probably doesn't care that much which of their teams is ahead; or at least they can get something good from it.

But a real B-team beating its parent team is likely to lose support. I would think that's part of the reason Honda pulled the plug on Super-Aguri. And weren't there talks on STR about to be sold?

I don't really think that a win in very tricky conditions by a B-team that happened to score a very talented driver this season shows much promise for the future. Weak teams have raised to the front on an occasions similar to yesterday's, but it didn't last in the long time: Jordan scored a victory at Brazil in 03, and two years later they were gone. Same with Stewart's win in 99, or Ligier's in 1996, or Arrows' almost-win in 97.
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote
    Personally, I think that is a simplistic view. STR can stay alive when beating its A-team, because they have the same title-sponsor, so Red Bull probably doesn't care that much which of their teams is ahead; or at least they can get something good from it.

But a real B-team beating its parent team is likely to lose support. I would think that's part of the reason Honda pulled the plug on Super-Aguri. And weren't there talks on STR about to be sold?

I don't really think that a win in very tricky conditions by a B-team that happened to score a very talented driver this season shows much promise for the future. Weak teams have raised to the front on an occasions similar to yesterday's, but it didn't last in the long time: Jordan scored a victory at Brazil in 03, and two years later they were gone. Same with Stewart's win in 99, or Ligier's in 1996, or Arrows' almost-win in 97.
    Yeah, STR is already for sale and was having problems finding a buyer... until yesterday.

I wonder if RBR can nab that engine from them? Seb sure won't mind!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote

Sad, but true.

PS: Good to see you a bit more active on the forum, again.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    In order not too disadvantage teams that build their own chassis, maybe they should impose a simple condition, that the engine and the gearbox can't be the same make as used by the chassis provider.

You would say that this might be too harsh, but hey, STR just proved that it's possible to make it work with lots of work and dedication.

And it is certainly still way cheaper than having your own R&D department and having to build your own chassis.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    In order not too disadvantage teams that build their own chassis, maybe they should impose a simple condition, that the engine and the gearbox can't be the same make as used by the chassis provider.

You would say that this might be too harsh, but hey, STR just proved that it's possible to make it work with lots of work and dedication.

And it is certainly still way cheaper than having your own R&D department and having to build your own chassis.
    I would also add to that a condition that all engines should be compatible to fit in any chassis as a rule (i.e standard design on mountings etc.), making a change a bit more seamless and much less hassle to a customer team.