Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Heroes

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts

The Real Heroes

I was interested to read Mark Webber's comments about the challenge of Eau Rouge. His reported comments ended by saying:
    "It is natural that guys will say, back in the day it was more dangerous, but actually what Senna and co drove, they were pussies compared to what Jack Brabham drove. The sport moves on. The real heroes were back in the 1960s and 1970s."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70260

Do you agree with Webber that the real heroes raced in the 60's/70's?
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    I think ALL racing drivers are heroes.

I think it goes back to Stirling Moss' question of whether Schumacher would've pulled same moves in Moss' era. Moss answered no because Schumacher would've died but I have no doubt that Schumi would've pushed to the limit one way or other because that's why all drivers are heroes, they pushed the limits of their cars, some better than others.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Yes. Cars in the 80's, 90's and today have so much downforce that going through Eau Rouge is still challenging, but not as bad as it used to be.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    We have no idea what todays drivers would have done driving the 60's or 70's cars. They might have been a bit worse but also better.

Belittling today's drivers just because the cars evolved so much is based on an absolutely wrong logic.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Yes. Cars in the 80's, 90's and today have so much downforce that going through Eau Rouge is still challenging, but not as bad as it used to be.
    True but the drivers have big balls and pushed the limits in different ways. For example, when Mansell and Senna went wheel to wheel they used their race cars like a game of chicken eg. Spa 87??, Portugal 89.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I was interested to read Mark Webber's comments about the challenge of Eau Rouge. His reported comments ended by saying:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70260

Do you agree with Webber that the real heroes raced in the 60's/70's?
    No, because the real heroes, if we are going by safety regulations compared to horse-power, drove silver cars in the mid 1930's.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    F1 has evolved, and different skills are needed. Would an old time driver have been able to cope with the media pressures of today? Would they have had the determination to make it to the top, as I think its fair to say its harder to get into F1 now than before. Would they have had the same technical knowledge as required today?

Would they have had the same race craft skills as today?

Its just evolved. Whereas personally I think drivers had more "balls", I don't think the less or more skilled, its just the skills needed to succeed have changed.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    For me it was the guys that used to race with no real idea of what safety was, surprised they could all sit down given the size of the balls they must've had
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    No, because the real heroes, if we are going by safety regulations compared to horse-power, drove silver cars in the mid 1930's.
    That was my first thought when I read Webber's comments
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I agree with an opinion expressed in another thread that current F1 and that one we saw in the early years of F1 can well be considered as different sports. In different eras different driver qualities have had more importance and so-called different racing disciplines shouldn't belittle each other. I don't think anyone says that for example baseball players are better sportsmen than cricket players or whatever. : It would sound like apples and oranges comparison.