Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wilson - Helio pass

What is the racing world coming to when a driver has to let another car past into the lead because an official says so? This kind of overly intrusive officialdom has to stop. Drivers need to fight for position (within reason) and this kind of thing depresses me. Fans want to see drivers fighting for position not being handed the lead because someone who's never even sat in a race car says so.

Senior Member The instant classic's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shazbot
    What is the racing world coming to when a driver has to let another car past into the lead because an official says so? This kind of overly intrusive officialdom has to stop. Drivers need to fight for position (within reason) and this kind of thing depresses me. Fans want to see drivers fighting for position not being handed the lead because someone who's never even sat ina race car says so.
    i agree, but i do that the fact that indycar doesnt play faves like other racings do
    Thats The Way Of The Road.Thats The Way She Goes.Sometimes She Goes Sometimes She Doesn't Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    * but i do like that the fact* LOL sorry
    Thats The Way Of The Road.Thats The Way She Goes.Sometimes She Goes Sometimes She Doesn't Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They really should have given him a warning first. I'm a big Wilson fan but he probably shouldn't have won that.

Wheldon's accident worked out well for Dixon didn't it?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Katz
    They really should have given him a warning first. I'm a big Wilson fan but he probably shouldn't have won that.

Wheldon's accident worked out well for Dixon didn't it?
    i disagree with wilson prob not winning, helio car fell off, i wolud agree with everyone thats mad over this,, if helio was right on wilson bumer and just couldnt pass him,,but wilson took off after passing helio,

but anyway this gives me some reasons to call into wind tunnel tonight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Helio's my favorite driver, but that call was legit IMO. His blocking was egregious, and that call was consistent with race control throughout the season. They had a couple "gimmes" at the start of the year, but by a few races in they were assessing penalties without a warning. The difference is that it was usually to cars much further back in the field. The only aspect of it that I kind of have an issue with is that Helio was in championship contention. If anyone else had done that blocking, I'd agree with the call. But due to his racing for the championship, I can kind of see how Helio should have been given a warning. That said, 20 points or 30 points, Dixon's got the championship.

As far as why 3 was slow, I think he was on fuel mode 1 and Wilson was on 3 or 4. Helio couldn't get knob to turn up hp until he was already caught blocking. IMO the fuel strategies really screw up the racing. These cars also have a "push to pass" style button for full-rich that Wilson could have been on. Barnhart talked about this button last week on Trackside radio. It's not the same power as a turbo boost, but would have been enough for Wilson to make those moves. Otherwise, I think both cars were about the same speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Generally, from what I've read, the racing rules on blocking are that you can make one move, not two. When Helio went inside to block, that was his one move. When Wilson swung outside and Helio swung outside to get the angle on the turn, that was the second move. I don't know if the officials explained it that way or not, but that was how they used to explain it when Scott Sharp did it several times.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Helio has been warned about blocking in the past. During drivers meeting prior to every race they are warned about blocking and the penalty for it. Helio was definitely blocking.........therefore Wilson was allowed to take the position. Wilson won legitimately. Learn the rules and live with them. Old3Fan has spoken! End of Story.
    :dork: 1 of Original 100 Members

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In between concrete walls move like that is idiotic and Wilson was on his tail all the time and after the pass he was gone. Faster driver is a winner. Helios problem was that he was in best [Peske] car beaten by a driver that never raced there and was is a car made of scraps. Justin you are the man!!!
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I guess I'm just old fasioned then. For better or worse racing should be decided on the track not from some air conditioned race control room. From a drivers perspective I'd feel the win had a little of the gloss taken away. Maybe Justin would have got passed, maybe not. Maybe they would have taken each other out. Maybe not. This is what racing is all about in my book. This is a competion between drivers and their machines. Time was when both overtaking and defending was a skill. Of course there are exceptions but you have to take the rough with the smooth.