Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fix the Indy 500

The Indy 500 used to be a race where manufacturers could build a one off entry in an attempt a win (what was once) one of the most prestigous races in the world.

The rule changes at Indy during the last 12 years have removed that possibility and in turn, have diminished it's prestige in global motorsports.

For this series to attract new engine manufacturers and grow in popularity, they need to change back to the day when Indy was a place of competition, innovation and yes, even a place of bending the rules.

There's a reason why Bonneville is still relevant to the manufacturers. They can lay claim to having the fastest hybrid or diesel or electric car.

This is the same reason why Le Mans is still relevant.

Hyundai might not care about winning the ICS championship. But they might like a win at Indy in their resume. A win that would mean much more if 25% of the field were something other than Honda's.

Spec racing is NASCAR. And it is at the heart of what is ruining NASCAR. So why would any series seeking to differintiate itself in the marketplace follow a failing strategy?

Diversity in the entrants is what built Indy into the prestigous race it once was. Only diversity will restore that prestige.

This goes beyond a new engine package for the ICS. The rules for the Indy 500 need to look back in order to move forward so that the embarrasment of the last 12 years can be put way behind it.

Until then, the Indy 500 is a race on the sechedule just like any other race. It just happens to be run at a place that is historical because of what was done before. But history can just as easily replace it, if it's place in history isn't carefully guarded.

That's my opinion anyway.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rex I agree but it isn't going to happen.
    There isn't enough money out there and the return in ivestment doesn't justify the cost.

To build a car to run just the Indy 500 would cost Millions of $$$ to design, build and develop. Even then they would be at a disadvantage to teams that run the whole series and get all the development info and practice.

BTW When was the last time a totally one off built chassis/engine package won the Indy 500?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Everyone keeps talking about getting back to the roots of Indy.. Front engined roadsters and all that crap...

But if you see the video they show at the Indy museum, it talks about how manufacturers used to come to Indy to test new vehicles and technologies.

So to me, the race car that has the most in common with the original intent of the Indy500 is a Lemans Prototype.

I know.. I know.. thats too much thinking out of the box... I'll shut up now. :

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Rex I agree but it isn't going to happen.
    There isn't enough money out there and the return in ivestment doesn't justify the cost.

To build a car to run just the Indy 500 would cost Millions of $$$ to design, build and develop. Even then they would be at a disadvantage to teams that run the whole series and get all the development info and practice.

BTW When was the last time a totally one off built chassis/engine package won the Indy 500?
    Once the rules change, it probably wouldn't happen for several years. But if the rules do not change, it will never happen. It took 12 years to break it. It will take that or more to fix it.

And while a chassis/engine combo would be ideal, a new engine rule is all that is really required to put Indy back to the place where manufacturers place it on their radar.

When is the last time someone other than Audi won at Le Mans?

When is not what will challenge engineers. How is what challenges them. Put the how back into the rules, and the challenge will bring back the prestige of the Indy 500.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with both of you. The problem is as well that the series is struggling since the split and now merger, so a spec series is what we have. Idealy you want to make it more appealing to the small time constructor who wants to try and make a name for them self, sadly though the small time constructor needs a big time cheque to make it happen and which top team would risk running with them? Its a shame because you are right, however it isn't the end of the world and the series is still going through difficult times even just getting some of the fans back. A lot of us are gone because we can't see the event and the new TV package in the US may loose more fans.

If we could turn the clock back to 1995 then maybe we could convince the monkeys that started throwing c*** at each other to act a little more civil.
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH
    So to me, the race car that has the most in common with the original intent of the Indy500 is a Lemans Prototype.
    Adopt the same engine rules and there is where you could save a manufacturer on the development costs. They could compete for a win at Le Man and add the Indy 500 for a few dollars more.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Try different fuels, different engines, but then someone will be moaning that car A is so much faster than car B or C it isn't fair.

TEll them go buy Car A, then you have spiralling costs and that is what TG didn't want when he started the IRL. We'd have 20 cars instead of 26 all season possibly....It worked in CART for a while till TG got Honda and Toyota to jump ship, then everything collapsed really. Chasis went down to two, and to one engine supplier.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rules which are more open to interpretation and not to surpress development is a good idea, but even the ACO at Lemans want the P2 classes to be made slower.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rex, in principal I agree with you. But at this point I think that having an open sort of rules package would kill the whole thing. Cost containment is the name of the game right now, like it or not.

Just look at the ALMS. They are completely open. But what if Audi decides to pull out of P1. Conventional wisdom says the whole thing implodes. I happen to think that is wrong and that a buch of "privateers" will step up, but my opinion doesn't really count for much. So they will do anything in their power to keep Audi around. Pretty much the same situation with IRL/Honda
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The same with F1 if all the manufactures got out then the privateers would come back, the series would begin to pick up again with new developments, but as soon as you allow the big companies back they want to control it, it becomes their big marketing tool, and experiment. Sadly though we don't seem to be getting much experimenting. Even Penske doesn't do anything to exciting with his cars.......