Page 53 of 1499 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455631031535531053 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Loeb did a very reasonable time, 8th out of 17, all with more F1 experience then him, 1,7 seconds behind the fastest, Sato in the Torro Rosso.
    R.I.P. all WRC heroes

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    you can see the times of the test here (last column indicates how many laps the drivers did)

http://www.rally.gr/default.asp?menu...ticle_id=15628

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    albeit in a 2008 car which is maybe alot quicker than the 2009 cars being tested.
    ------------------------------------
    But you can call me Buzz
    email: buzz@pixar.com

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Sebastien was not the only 2008 car running slicks, so I still think his time is quite impressive given his lack of F1 experience.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt
    No, not new at all. In fact, I've been involved as long as there's been a world championship, about 34 years in all.This is exactly the reason I asked the question - fully anticipating the answer.

Remembering my time serving as crowd control marshall on the 1977 Heatway I can't help wondering how long an event has to have been a part of the scene to be considered "of historic significance".
    There are many events that have provided good service since the 70's - Acropolis, New Zealand, San Remo etc... Do they not have "historic significance"?

If you are to have events that are exempt in an otherwise rotational system surely those events must offer something special.
    I can recall a time when Finland's 1000 Lakes Rally and GB's RAC were held in higher regard than other events. Finland perhaps still is, GB I don't believe so.

Tomi's on the right track, in my view. Quality of the event and what it offers ought be the determining factor.
    Finland wins accolades for it's organisation as, in fact, has Australia for much of it's time in the WRC. Australia has also enjoyed status as the teams most popular event whilst NZ is renowned as the driver's favourite. Other events have other attributes.

Surely we live in age in the 21st century when results and performance have more significance that mere history.
    Finland is still a great event, GB is barely a shadow of what it was, but in my earlier post what I had said I would hope for wouldnt be mere protection of position for some select events, but also the freedom to run a proper event, a Rally GB with Grizdale and Kielder would still be a great and testing event.
    I'd love to see 4/5 events given freedom to run old style, treated almost like a Masters Series within the championship, I'll bet some recently retired drivers could be enticed back to something like this.

I disagree with you regarding history though, the Monte Carlo rally may have its troubles, but it is still the best known rally. I'm sure for competitors good hotels and compact loops are all lovely but this whole thing is a 'sport' funded by marketing, and history, profile, global interest are all very much linked when it comes to events.
    Deep down I'm a sound bloke!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wink Prodrive go slowly in oriental hands?

The Kuwaiti enterprise investment took over 40 per cent of pro drive.
    This publication came from both parties today.

Source:
    http://www.rallye-magazin.de/home/index.html
    :cool: You Can´t Loose What Your Never Had.

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    So are we going to see "Kuwait Team Subaru" and "Abu Dhabi BP Ford" next year then?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So Apax partners already own 50%, and Kuwait Enterprise Investments 40%, so DR, only holds 10% assuming he has all remaining shares...

....Brilliant. Another bit of the UK silverware sold.
    But you can call me Buzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    here is official statment

http://www.prodrive.com/p_releases.html?id=199

they state TID bought 40%, so I assume they have bought Apex share, as he is still largest shareholder.
    But you can call me Buzz