Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Reports - Santander and Alonso to switch allegiance to Ferrari for 2009 and beyond

Interesting development this.....

.....and of course Santander's 'RED/WHITE' colour scheme should fit in well with the Scuderias colour scheme...

If this is a goer, would the signage on the rear-wing be at the expense of 'Etihad Airways' or 'Marlboro'?

Hopefully Ferrari FINALLY go tobacco free but I cant see it from Philip Morris unfortunately -

The Santander chairman does seem a real petrol head and committed to the sport however which is a good thing for whoever gets the Santander deal into 2009 - Ive spotted him on TV on grid walks at many of the races since 2007...always with Uncle Bernie closely in toe!

So, will we see a Santander-Alonso-Ferrari tie up in 2009? You read it here first if we do!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...09105737.shtml

Ongoing Alonso rumours
    Santander, Alonso, set for Ferrari switch
    09/07/08 10:57

Major McLaren sponsor Santander, a Spanish bank, is to switch allegiances to Ferrari for 2009 and beyond, according to reports.

German magazine Sport Bild claims that the deal is worth up to 25 million Euros per season, and could involve the driving services of former champion Fernando Alonso.

Santander began sponsoring McLaren last year, coinciding with 26-year-old Alonso's multi-season contract to race with the Mercedes-powered outfit.

His relationship with the team famously turned sour, however, and it now emerges that Santander wants to follow suit and depart.

Sport Bild says the Santander-Ferrari-Alonso deal involves lettering on the drivers' overalls as well as front and rear wing signage, and a 30 million Euros per year contribution to Alonso's retainer.

Alonso said at Silverstone that he is waiting until as late as September before determining the identity of his team for 2009.

Fascinatingly, Ferrari - albeit with both current drivers already under contract - often announces its next driver line-up at Monza, which this year takes place on September 14th.

Santander boss Emilio Botin was at Silverstone for last weekend's British Grand Prix.

The Spanish newspaper Diario AS speculates that Alonso's team-mate at Ferrari next year would be Kimi Raikkonen, following Felipe Massa's disastrous showing at Silverstone last weekend.

"I don't know if the rumours are true," Ferrari test driver Marc Gene told sport.es, "but I don't see there would be a problem having Kimi with Alonso, or Felipe with Alonso, or staying with what we have now."

Source: GMM
    © CAPSIS International
    2006 GO!
    > Scott Speed
    > Red Bull Racing
    > Scuderia Toro Rosso
    > Sebastian Vettel

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Not sure I believe this....Santander, through it's Abbey brand uses Hamilton heavily in its ads. However, if they do go I can't see it being a problem for McLaren as Lewis is easily the most marketable drivers on the grid. I think Santander got plenty of decent PR from the British GP this year without Alonso
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bild isn't generally a reliable source is it? I guess that this is possible, but I'll believe it when I see it. Massa had a shocking race but he is joint leader in the championship at the moment, I don't really think it's fair to write him off as a result of that. Alonso's also made a number of errors in races this year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Could we see a Marlboro Mclaren again. It was their early involvement with Mclaren in the '70's that let to team uniforms.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator/61
    Could we see a Marlboro Mclaren again. It was their early involvement with Mclaren in the '70's that let to team uniforms.
    On a British team, with Fag ad banned. Two hopes, Bob and No.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I'd be pleased if Alonso ends up with a top team like Ferrari next year. I'm sure he'd get along with Kimi or Massa.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    While it is possible, remember that this is BILD we are talking about.
    Iceman: Adjective 1)Rapid, swift 2)Nickname of Kimi-Matias Räikkönen, a legendary Formula 1 driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hope it's true, would love to see him in a Ferrari.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can't believe it
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    I don't know the validity of this report. But Ferrari need him! IMHO
    May the forza be with you