Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

DC to call time on his F1 career at Silverstone?

I know this rumour does the rounds every few months, but the BBC are reporting that Coulthard may use today's (Thursday's) press conference to announce his retirement.

David Coulthard is expected to announce at the British Grand Prix that he will retire from racing in Formula One at the end of the season.

The 37-year-old Scot, who has won 13 races in a 14-year career, has admitted recently to considering his future.

He is participating in an official news conference at Silverstone on Thursday and may make the announcement there.

Coulthard, who has driven for Williams, McLaren and Red Bull in F1, was unavailable for comment.
    It is not known whether he will continue to be involved in the sport, although newspapers have speculated that he might take on a role as a TV commentator with the BBC next season.
    Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...rs/7487186.stm

If it's true, some members here will be pleased as they've been calling for his retirement for several years.

Me, I reckon DC has nothing left to prove. He was placed in a difficult situation, replacing Ayrton Senna at Williams, and a few howlers (such as crashing on his way into the pits) aside perfomed admirably.

Clearly McLaren saw his quality, as he became practically part of the furniture. Never quite on the level of Mika or Kimi, he nevertheless was a dogged and consistant performer. One-lap qualifying was his only real weakness.

Many, including myself, expected his move to Red Bull to be a one-year deal before his retirement. The team seemed intent on projecting a youthful image and it was hard to see where DC would fit in. However his technical input has proved invaluable and he's clearly enjoying being reunited with Adrian Newey.

Anyway, it's only a rumour. At the moment.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Well if DC did announce his retirement I suspect his press conference would not be full of the bland comments I've been ranting about and if he does, as he said earlier this week: "...boo hoo, you know? There are a lot of worse things that can happen to you. You just move on to the next challenge."
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I've never liked him really (too much whinging) but will sort of be sad to see him go. He was never (IMO) WDC material but certainly a solid finisher and he has done fairly well at Red Bull and has generally been solid throughout his career (which is fairly impressive in it's length).

However I do believe that it is time to move over, F1 is about young guns these days and DC is soon going to be old enough be other drivers' Dad
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Oi, he's only a year older than me! Anyway, if he'd become a father at 16 then that kid would easily be old enough for F1 now

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    Oi, he's only a year older than me! Anyway, if he'd become a father at 16 then that kid would easily be old enough for F1 now
    Guess the dream of driving in F1 is pretty much over for you then?

Actually at 23 it's also over for me :S

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    My F1 dream hit the rocks the first time I got into a kart aged about 10 and realised I was, to be frank, crap

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    DC will make a great ambassador for a myriad of sponsors.

He is extremely articulate, and is always good for a quality soundbite.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    In an interview on ITV-F1, Sir Jackie Stewart says he "thinks it's time for David to move on and enjoy the rest of his life", adding that he'd make an excellent commentator (which may explain why the BBC seem ahead of the pack with this story ) and that he thinks DC is "mature, speaks well and has good mind managemet".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    My F1 dream hit the rocks the first time I got into a kart aged about 10 and realised I was, to be frank, crap
    I hear that. Since taking up sprinting this year I've been repeating the mantra "As long as you have fun....as long as you have fun"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've always seen DC as Mr Average in F1. I wasn't suprised by this and frankly I do think it's time for him to move on. Best of luck DC!
    Everyone Loves a Slinky. :)