Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Just how good is Stoner?

1. Can he keep up his constant demolition of teammates?

2. How many more years of riding at this level (or higher) will it take for Stoner to become a motorcycling 'great' the same way that Rossi or Agostini or Hailwood are?

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    How good is Stoner? Very.

1. Unless Ducati find someone else capable of taming the bike he'll keep bashing them into next week.

2. At least 5 or 6 years. At the minute he has 1 championship when the bike was very quick, now he needs to convert lesser machinery into championships. The Rossi/Yamaha switch was impressive because everyone had been whinging about how poor that bike was. Given a Vale cash injection and Jerry Burgess it was a race winner out of the blocks.

Oh and he's got to be less boring . Assen was llame in terms of a scrap for the lead.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Without a doubt he's good but is he more exciting to watch than Rossi? I dont think so
    Colin McRae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sure he's good, maybe the best in the world with his Ducati? But next to that, he's for sure the most boring GP rider at the moment(Y)
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1. Can he keep up his constant demolition of teammates? Not sure that it is his constant demolition more than the others not lifting their game to compete. I would expect that he will not keep demolishing his team-mate when another competitive rider (in terms of on that machine) is found but I can guarantee that he is looking forward to the challenge.

2. How many more years of riding at this level (or higher) will it take for Stoner to become a motorcycling 'great' the same way that Rossi or Agostini or Hailwood are? It probably depends on the judge. To me there are very few true greats in global terms and I rate very few riders as great. Mind you this is because I only rate those riders that I have seen ride whether that be on television (watching their career) or in person.
    There is absolutely no doubt (IMO) that CS can one day make the all time great list but I feel that he needs to sustain a high level of performance (consistency), overcome adversity and setbacks and win a few more championships.

Quote Originally Posted by St3ve
    Without a doubt he's good but is he more exciting to watch than Rossi? I dont think so
    I recognise what you mean but I suppose it comes down to what one wants to see when watching (and that is not criticism).
    Me, I just enjoy watching the rider input as he/she tries to control the beast of a bike while hitting their same lines and markers, the symetry of man and machine, the sheer ness of the bikes and so on.
    Whether a race be won by 15 seconds or has 15 bikes separated by 1 second, I can enjoy it based on what I look for in a race.
    Of course, a close hard fought battle can provide far more 'edge of seats' viewing than a runaway, but for me each can well be equal in many terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Corny
    Sure he's good, maybe the best in the world with his Ducati? But next to that, he's for sure the most boring GP rider at the moment(Y)
    Just wondering, how is Stoner boring?

Or do you mean the manner of his wins?

Garry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    indeed the way he wins, I haven't even seen him cheering to the public in Assen for one time!

Next to that, he's ALWAYS complaining about something..

I've heard him pushing his fans away when they asked his signature!

the only thing that is not boring about him, is his bike and its sound..
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corny
    indeed the way he wins, I haven't even seen him cheering to the public in Assen for one time!

Next to that, he's ALWAYS complaining about something..

I've heard him pushing his fans away when they asked his signature!

the only thing that is not boring about him, is his bike and its sound..

Well, in the complaining department he sure is not alone as all riders complain when things go wrong, and often even when things go right. CS is no worse in the complaining department than most other riders, just that due to his position as both World Champion and Rossi challenger he gets a lot or air play on the media. Personally, for me it is not even 'complaining' as it is his job to ensure that everything is right in terms of meeting his end goal, if he has to voice a concern then so be it.

Interesting also that you comment about his 'allegedly' pushing fans away as I have heard the complete opposite from a number of people. Actually, I know of a number of people who have actually found him very accomodating, pleasant and only to willing to please when they have spoken with or asked him a question.

Mind you, the circumstances are crucial as these people all made sure that he was not in 'race mode' as every rider will be somewhat 'prickly' when they have that race face on.

Garry

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    People are used to Rossi being champion who is a very flamboyant character, both on and off the bike. Stoner is one of these people that just wants to win, whereas Rossi seems to enjoy the fight to win and I think that is the difference.

Most riders display some sort of passion, Nicky, Colin, Vale, Loris, they're all riders who where their heart on their sleve where people like Pedrosa and Stoner are much more introverted
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yep Stoner is a great rider but for me personally its more enjoyable to see a great battle at the front of the field lets hope that happens at the next round
    Colin McRae

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It seems that many people expect CS to be a rock star or an entertainer. There have been a few riders that have been extroverts, Barry Sheene, Rossi spring to mind. I have watched Lorenzo try to emulate Rossi with his post race celebrations, and IMO, just looks foolish. I would rather that CS does his own thing, and that's just what he does. If there is a problem with the bike, he says it, if he makes a mistake, he says it. I don't like to see riders have a problem, and smile at the camera like everything is cool just to appease the sponsors. Mick Doohan told it like it is, Bayliss tells it like it is. I guess that's the way Aussies are, NO BS
    Sandra O is YUMMY