Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    Well off the toip of my head, there were post-war entries from Maseratti and Ferrari. But we aren't talking about chassis/engine combinations here, are we? This thread is about engine manufacturers.
    Maybe do some research on this as Ford and Studebaker made multi car efforts. You did bring up one off efforts to win the 500. That was the only time. This was a full factory effort. Most others were garage efforts or a rich guy buying a car.

Which I also believe produced a Maseratti/Offy.
    There were that chassis and engine combos.

I know, I know. The chance that CART passed up is the sole source of all AOWR and the Indy 500's problems. It had nothing to do with any of the events by other parties that followed.
    How can any of the other things happen if they sanctioned the 500? No IRL, no split no nothing.

So 33 car's starting with 32 car's failing to qualify is your idea of Indy struggling to fill the grid?
    Only 34 cars qualified. 34-33=1

STP, Penzoil, Domino's Pizza, Marlboro, Target and many more all paid to be at Indy at one time or another. But that was when the TV audience and the series exposure was much larger.
    Only Target survives and most left in the mid 1990s.

I didn't think you'd be able to post a reply without a personal insult.
    Never insulted you but you do me all the time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Regardless of who qualified and why, they did not struggle to find 33 entrants. A scenario that is currently the norm.
    So entries are more important and cars that can challenge to win. 1000 people is better even though the place holds 250.

And for all the talk about the need to control costs, it appears that the formula in 1983 allowed people to enter cars on a limited budget.
    Yup and how many of those cars showed up on the CART schedule?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by !!WALDO!!
    So entries are more important and cars that can challenge to win. 1000 people is better even though the place holds 250.
    And the current system of begging people to enter, produces the best fields that have ever run at Indy? Sure, ok...

I'm not sure what your fixation on CART is all about, but I have yet to point to CART as the model that should be followed. All I am saying that the model you are defending is flawed. And if pointing to CART as also having been flawed is your only argument in defense of the current model, then it would be better for you to just to admit that the current model is flawed.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So this was your attempt at a complement?

"You claim to be a fan but every real fan knows this."
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And the current system of begging people to enter, produces the best fields that have ever run at Indy? Sure, ok...
    Begging? Never been done.

I'm not sure what your fixation on CART is all about, but I have yet to point to CART as the model that should be followed. All I am saying that the model you are defending is flawed. And if pointing to CART as also having been flawed is your only argument in defense of the current model, then it would be better for you to just to admit that the current model is flawed.
    In 1983, WHERE ELSE COULD YOU RACE YOUR INDY TYPE CAR?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You claim to be a fan but every real fan knows this.
    I didn't think you'd be able to post a reply without a personal insult.
    At the risk of being accused of picking nits, I again question how a teacher of English could not consider the first quote above as an insult???

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So this was your attempt at a complement?

"You claim to be a fan but every real fan knows this."
    Not an insult but a FACT. It appears you didn't know this. I can't help you with that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In the good old days, when the cars weren't all clones, there was a big spread. I'd much rather have the good old days, with folks trying all kinds of funky ideas, most of which won't work out, than have the current situation. I think there are a lot of folks in that camp, which is why we see paltry crowds at most venues.

http://www.champcarstats.com/year/1994.htm

HALF the races that year, they sent cars home early because they lacked pit space, space on the track, or CART just decided they were too slow and sent them home, because CART had the luxury of doing that.

Now, looking at things today...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Begging? Never been done.
    Really? What would you call what happened the year before and the year of the now infamous quote by "king George"... Thirty three is just a number... ??? Begging sounds like an apt description.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not an insult but a FACT. It appears you didn't know this. I can't help you with that.

Hmm, so hypothetically speaking, calling you pompous wouldn't be an insult then, right?

Gary