Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 276775767778 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear!

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    but will it get as high viewing figures for the BBC?
    Not worldwide; it probably won't last long enough on freeview either.

BBC Worldwide has changed its stance on releasing programs as first run on free to air. If the show gets released in May 2016 on BBC domestic TV, it will be shown on pay networks first and the free-to-air networks maybe in 12 months beyond that.

I predict that Top Gear Mk3 will last for two seasons because BBC Worldwide will have cut its nose off to spite its face.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I think after nearly a decade avoiding Top Gear I might start watching it again. Chris Evans is perfect due to his handling of busy radio and TV shows and knowing how to control multiple guests. They may have hired too many presenters but it'll take a series to find its feet. I'm glad they've got EJ, I think he'll be entertaining and we may hear some of the stories he was never allowed to tell on the F1 show.

I'm a long time subscriber to Amazon Prime and I think one program I will avoid is the ex Top Gear trio.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Matt LeBlanc: Keep - he's got the same sort of annoyed delivery as either Humphrey Lyttelton or Jack Dee.
    Sabine Schmitz: Keep - she plays off the stereotype of the German work ethic well; she's prepared to talk back.
    Eddie Jordan: Keep - he should cultivate the image of a confused old man (even though he was/is a keen businessman who once ran an F1 team).
    Chris Evans: Let Go - he's a kind of overly excited shouty man who still thinks he's on Radio 2 or The One Show.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    They just need to fine-tune the studio sections, otherwise it's been problem-free for me so far. Well, that and the fact that Chris couldn't pronounce Porsche properly and Matt couldn't say Jaguar properly, which made last week's group test of one of each (and a Mercedes, which neither of them had trouble with) a little grating at times.

Chris has clearly tried to replicate TFI Friday with his studio presenting style (I noticed Danny Baker's name on the writing credits too) and that needs to go. It's noticeable, watching earlier and later versions of Top Gear v2.0 (2002-15 era), how the audience interaction declined over time.

They did address my one criticism of the opening programme, where they returned from the Viper v Corvette feature and didn't come to a conclusion about which was better; last week's show did reach a proper verdict on the McLaren. What TG v2.0 did well, however, was entertaining features on more ordinary cars, and it remains to be seen how (or if) they can do that (the SUVs are about as close as they've got so far). Hopefully there'll be a Cheap Car Challenge at some point too, but otherwise they've done a good job at keeping enough links to the previous incarnation while giving it a fresh feel. The rallycrossisation of the celebrity lap for instance - that works for me.
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    THought the show last night was really good, loved the Ferrari and Focus pieces and Ken Block stuff is always silly but entertaining. I've seen a lot of criticism, apparently it was too 'car based'. Seems odd to me, a bit like tuning in to watch Strictly and complaining that there's too much dancing.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Tomorrow night's edition could be the acid test - it's a Cheap Car Challenge, which was always one of the best parts of TG v2.0. But they've combined it with one of the epic races, which could either be a stroke of genius or... not.
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    After falling viewing figures in this first season, Chris Evans has stepped down already.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I don't think Chris Evans was the problem but more the tired format of the show. I expected something different, not a rip off of all Clarksons jokes and the reincarnation of Richard Hammond aka Eddie Jordan.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I agree Henners. I thought they would go in a different direction and maybe return to a more sensible car show. Not that personally I would have watched that. Mind you I didn't watch this version either lol

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I watched it, for the most part it was good but people had already made up their minds. Evans, Sabine and Jordan were all weak links, MLB a bit wooden but shows promise and is a decent driver. Stand out were Reid and Harris, it's almost like choosing motoring journalists for a motoring journalism show was a good idea.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.