Page 72 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear!

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I'm just looking forward to see the Jaguar F-Type. Normally I find the power tests a bit dull, I personally find group tests of more reasonable cars more entertaining. I used to like the used car challenges before they became totally scripted, but the Top Gear specials are always very fun, Bolivia, Africa, Vietnam etc, I'm sure there are more possibilities here that they haven't explored.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    I finally stayed awake long enough to watch the most recent episode and even the hosts were making fun of the current format.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Having been a keen viewer of the Drive 'Chris Harris on Cars' channel on YouTube I find it interesting to see shorter, less informative films of cars several months after seeing Chris Harris review it. For example:

[youtube]fJQ4hQSusjE[/youtube]
    Which was done in January, or:

[youtube]IElqf-FCMs8[/youtube]
    Which aired in April, or:

[youtube]ruFXKEIPTvA[/youtube]
    From 6 weeks ago.

I think that Top Gear still has it's place though, the Drive reviews aren't as easily accessible for most people and it doesn't quite have the entertainment factor. The problem is that I'm not quite sure exactly what the place of Top Gear is, and I don't think the producers and crew know either. The 'jokes' are generally getting far too old and stale, things like banging on about Dacia and the set ups that rival You've Been Framed for obviousness (e.g half of the Hovercraft sketch).
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Never miss it!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They go in a nice, fast, straight, line. Anything else, not so much...

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    anyone else that thinks that the new Jaguar F-type looks like cross breed between an Aston Martin and a Maserati 3200GT?
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    The F-type is prettier than any Aston. The rear lights are to die for.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan
    I think that Top Gear still has it's place though, the Drive reviews aren't as easily accessible for most people and it doesn't quite have the entertainment factor.
    Agreed.

The fact that nobody in the audience knew what a Hennessey Venom tells you all you need to know who TG is aimed at.

The Electric SLS was handled very well given the complexity and technology involved, but then the BMW 1M and Pagani Huayra I thought were poorly reviewed that resorted to cliches.

Chris Harris isn't perfect either. His review of the Golf GTi was absolutely dire and I thought Auto Express did a much better review without their tame racing driver.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJan
    The problem is that I'm not quite sure exactly what the place of Top Gear is, and I don't think the producers and crew know either. The 'jokes' are generally getting far too old and stale, things like banging on about Dacia and the set ups that rival You've Been Framed for obviousness (e.g half of the Hovercraft sketch).
    There is a formula such as the big race, the dicking about in the garage and real life test of a machinery of some such, road trip cum group test, more dicking about in cars but they are running out of ideas for fillers. There's only so much you can test a car and doing it with races have bored me for a number of years now.

I don't mind the jokes. They're still good IMO - schoolboy humour doesn't particularly tire me. Jezza does what he does best: a troll with a microphone though Hammond isn't particularly funny.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    But little beauties like Webber "Dad told me not to hit boys" make up for any of the other areas where the show is lacking

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Just saw the last episode of Season 20. I feel a little sad that if the same experiment of putting all the motor vehicles that Australia built in one place... there'd be about two dozen and that's it.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!