Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

Grid penalty + fuelling allowance

I would have put this in the Hamilton penalty thread but that's been closed.

Just a query as to whether the fuelling restrictions will be applied to Hamilton based on his actual Q3 qualifying time (assuming for a moment he gets into Q3) or his adjusted start position after his 10 place penalty is taken into account.

So will he have to start from say P11 but with the fuel he finished Q3 with or will he have the freedom to put whatever fuel he wants in like any of the other runners from P11 on?

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Fuel should certainly be based on his actual Q3 qualifying time IMHO, but I don't know the rules.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Fuel will be according to where he finishes in Q3. As the penalty is applied after qualifying by simply taking 10 from his position. So presuming he gets into Q3 then he will have to qualify with race fuel.

The person in 11th position will start the race 10th with whatever fuel they like.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
    My understanding is that any car that makes it into Q3 has to start on the fuel allowance they qualify on.
    If they don't even attempt the final qualifying but still made it into Q3 then they have to inform the officials what fuel allowance they want.

Basically if Lewis wants to be 11th then he has to qualify on his regular fuel load, get pole then take the 10 place hit.

So as I understand the rules looking at it yesterday he has to run the normal fuel set up just as any other qualifying session and suck up his punishment like a man

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    hurry up people before jannepi closes this thread too. freedom of speech became a myth ever since he was made one of the GODS.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eu
    hurry up people before jannepi closes this thread too. freedom of speech became a myth ever since he was made one of the GODS.
    Hhmmmm..... Jan's NOT a GOD....

Even though... Andrea was a GODDESS !!!

Gonna be a tough call for McLaren....

Hamilton's 10 spot penalty may force them to go with very light fuel in Q-3
    hoping to wind up (after the penalty) in 11th or 12th, refueling very early at the start of the race.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    It depends, how competitive McLaren is at Magny-Cours. The answer will come during Q1 and Q2 probably if not earlier. If it's among the quickest cars, then probably there won't be a problem - try to qualify with a "normal" fuel load and fight for a position in Top2. But if the car is good enough for P4-P5 on merit, then it's becoming difficult. A very light fuel load to get P11 on the grid?

I don't think heavy fuel load is beneficial (unless there is a SC), because he would start somewhere among places P15-P20 and it's really difficult to fight up from there. And those, who start from similar places or a bit ahead, will be running with heavy fuel load too, so he'll be stuck behind them for quite long anyway.

Hamilton is usually aggressive at the starts, so I guess after starting from P11 he could already be in a point-scoring position by the end of the first lap.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Or he could crash, into Alonso most likely.
    Formula 1

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trumperZ06
    Gonna be a tough call for McLaren....

Hamilton's 10 spot penalty may force them to go with very light fuel in Q-3
    hoping to wind up (after the penalty) in 11th or 12th, refueling very early at the start of the race.
    What good would that be? He'll be back with the "monkeys" in no time.
    They'll fuel him heavy and hope he manages to get 4th or 5th place. Of course they will fuel Heikki even heavier, so that he doesn't interfere with Lewy's quest for 4th place!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    McLaren already hinted that Lewis will have a very long first stint. Read it somewhere on P-F1.
    Formula 1