Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Also he doesnt even acknoledge the fact he was proven wrong, just pretends it never happened. How about a "you're right, I'm wrong" Waldo?
    INDY!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by !!WALDO!!
    No, you told me it was based on your number of posts. So you are at least 6 times smarter than me but I see you still can't name the man that painted the pictures from Indy over that radio "damn neared glued to my ear".
    I never claimed to be an expert. You are alone in that endeavor. I have no idea what the mans name was, nor do I care. It was over thirty freakin' years ago. I don't bother with such minutiae. No disrespect to the man, but I heard him once a year and the information he was conveying was way more important than his identity.

See in English words mean something, my words are actually a compliment to you for knowing so much. Yet, you take them as an insult because as you stated you would like to see me leave.
    I took it as an insult because it was an insult. Don't try to pretend that it was anything else.

I got an idea, why not help me with my 1968 thread as you were 18 years old and I was only 14. I still have 23 more races to cover. How about taking 11 of them and writing the story as it occurred in 1968?

Again if you had the radio glued to your ear, you would remember a lot of things. The next race is Milwaukee, why not do it for me as I was returning from school and could only get some of WTMJ's coverage on 620AM near South Bend that day.
    Then you heard more of that race than I did. I said I had the radio glued to my ear for the 500, not every race in 1968.

Taking history seriously is a passion of mine, yet I do not have the time to post 3000 times and go after everyone you feel threatens me.
    You may have been an English professor, but clearly math, or more precisely statistics, clearly isn't your forte. I have been a member here since Feb 2004. That works out to 51 months and I have posted a grand total of 2991 message including this one. That averages out to 58.65 messages a month. You have been here since Feb 2008 and in those three months you have posted a total of 685 messages, as of the time of this post. That averages out to 219.33 messages per month. Tell me again who spends the most time posting here and challenging those who dare to disagree.

You seem to. Me, I drank a we one to Nelson Stacy on the 46th year date of his huge win in the 600.

Bet you forgot.
    You loose the bet. As a matter of fact I was sharing some pictures and the story behind the four foot tall trophy of Nelson's that sits in my living room, with my nephew, wishing I still had a BetaMax machine so I could watch the tape I have of him winning that race.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sid Collins
    INDY!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 16&Gtown
    Sid Collins

Thanks, I kept thinking Sid Nathan. But I knew that wasn't right, he was a local legend behind King Records, where James Brown (and others) got his start.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    I never claimed to be an expert. You are alone in that endeavor. I have no idea what the mans name was, nor do I care. It was over thirty freakin' years ago. I don't bother with such minutiae. No disrespect to the man, but I heard him once a year and the information he was conveying was way more important than his identity.
    I am not an expert, never claimed to be. So the name Sid Collins meant nothing to you. I haven't heard the voice in 32 years but still can hear it.
    That is not minutiae that is the history of the sport. You listen to him for 19 races, me only 11, yet you had no clue to who he was. That's ok, I guess even though you radio was glued to your ear for all those years it just didn't register.

I took it as an insult because it was an insult. Don't try to pretend that it was anything else.
    It maybe could be considered an insult to a thirteen year old but a 59 year old with maturity and life experiences then not.

Then you heard more of that race than I did. I said I had the radio glued to my ear for the 500, not every race in 1968.
    Neither did I as most were not on radio. Yet, I was there by reading about them in the Newspapers and NSSN. So in 1968 what time did the Rebroadcast of the race come on?

You may have been an English professor, but clearly math, or more precisely statistics, clearly isn't your forte. I have been a member here since Feb 2004. That works out to 51 months and I have posted a grand total of 2991 message including this one. That averages out to 58.65 messages a month. You have been here since Feb 2008 and in those three months you have posted a total of 685 messages, as of the time of this post. That averages out to 219.33 messages per month. Tell me again who spends the most time posting here and challenging those who dare to disagree.
    Yet, you post to a bunch of stuff. I started this thread and you could have said nothing but yet you keep digging a deeper hole for yourself.

You loose the bet. As a matter of fact I was sharing some pictures and the story behind the four foot tall trophy of Nelson's that sits in my living room, with my nephew, wishing I still had a BetaMax machine so I could watch the tape I have of him winning that race.

Gary
    Which Trophy is that? I am glad you remembered his biggest win as I did. See you try to make it a competition, as I remember those that for ONE DAY was the BEST at that TRACK.

Maybe that is a sign of someone that has the respect for the history of this sport.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 16&Gtown
    Also he doesnt even acknoledge the fact he was proven wrong, just pretends it never happened. How about a "you're right, I'm wrong" Waldo?
    I was proven wrong about what? Pretending is for children. There is no right or wrong on this issue.

Drivers need to get "rainy day" sponsorship programs. Paul never once did anything for sponsors.

So you see what it got him. Same is true with many many others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am not an expert, never claimed to be.
    Really, you'd never know it by your style of participation here. Not once have I seen you defer to someone else's knowledge. Each and every time you attempt to trump with your superior photographic recall of history.

So in 1968 what time did the Rebroadcast of the race come on?
    Who the hell cares what time it was on? A perfect example of your need to trump with photographic recall.

Yet, you post to a bunch of stuff. I started this thread and you could have said nothing but yet you keep digging a deeper hole for yourself.
    My inital reply in the thread was totally civil and on topic, prompting a reply from you and the snide remark "Again this stuff you should understand." But you remember 100% of all of the messages you write, so you already knew that, right? Look carefully Waldo, over the past two or three weeks I have attempted to reply in a civil way only to be met by your continued carefully crafted vitrol. I have gone out of my way to be non-confrontational in my initial replies and get barbs and insults back.

Which Trophy is that? I am glad you remembered his biggest win as I did. See you try to make it a competition, as I remember those that for ONE DAY was the BEST at that TRACK.
    It was the "traveling trophy" for a race at the old Cincinnati Speedway. (That may not be the exact name, I don't have a photographic memory.) Nelson won the race the last year the track was open. When he moved to Florida, Nelson left all of his silver trophies and a handful of others in the care of my mother, because he had been warned about tarnish in the salty air of Daytona Beach where he was moving. He took all of the plaques off of them and took those with him. Therefore I don't know the specific race. Years latter Nelson sent for the silver and most of the trophies but let my Mom keep the big one from the Cincinnati raceway and two others, none of which have any identification on them. She gave them to me about 15 years ago and they hold a place of honor in my living room, at my dear wife's insistence. Unfortunately, Nelson had passed away by that time so they remain unidentified.

You may focus on the "those that for ONE DAY was the BEST at that TRACK". My focus is a bit wider. http://www.nascar-gas.com/bio-nstacy.htm

Maybe that is a sign of someone that has the respect for the history of this sport.

Or someone with an over inflated view of self.

Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Really, you'd never know it by your style of participation here. Not once have I seen you defer to someone else's knowledge. Each and every time you attempt to trump with your superior photographic recall of history.
    So you would rather read something totally untrue. If someone knows something I do not, I do not post, that simple.

Who the hell cares what time it was on? A perfect example of your need to trump with photographic recall.
    Gotcha!!!!! Shouldn't of answered, you just fell into the quarry.

My inital reply in the thread was totally civil and on topic, prompting a reply from you and the snide remark "Again this stuff you should understand." But you remember 100% of all of the messages you write, so you already knew that, right? Look carefully Waldo, over the past two or three weeks I have attempted to reply in a civil way only to be met by your continued carefully crafted vitrol. I have gone out of my way to be non-confrontational in my initial replies and get barbs and insults back.
    So that was Civil? I have been Civil too. Yet you keep coming back.

It was the "traveling trophy" for a race at the old Cincinnati Speedway. (That may not be the exact name, I don't have a photographic memory.) Nelson won the race the last year the track was open. When he moved to Florida, Nelson left all of his silver trophies and a handful of others in the care of my mother, because he had been warned about tarnish in the salty air of Daytona Beach where he was moving. He took all of the plaques off of them and took those with him. Therefore I don't know the specific race. Years latter Nelson sent for the silver and most of the trophies but let my Mom keep the big one from the Cincinnati raceway and two others, none of which have any identification on them. She gave them to me about 15 years ago and they hold a place of honor in my living room, at my dear wife's insistence. Unfortunately, Nelson had passed away by that time so they remain unidentified.

You may focus on the "those that for ONE DAY was the BEST at that TRACK". My focus is a bit wider. http://www.nascar-gas.com/bio-nstacy.htm
    That track was up in West Chester I believe. Nice Track was there in 1969.
    Travelling Trophies were neat.

Or someone with an over inflated view of self.

Gary
    No, I just like honoring those that made history on a given day.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That track was up in West Chester I believe. Nice Track was there in 1969.
    Travelling Trophies were neat.
    No this was WAY before that. This track was actually in the city limits. I'll ask my dad if he knows the name of the place. It would have been before 1965, for sure. Bceause I know we had the trophies in the house prior to a move that year.

Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No this was WAY before that. This track was actually in the city limits. I'll ask my dad if he knows the name of the place. It would have been before 1965, for sure. Bceause I know we had the trophies in the house prior to a move that year.

Gary
    I know that one ran some USAC Sprint shows and was a "half" mile paved track with banking. I think Gary Bettenhausen won that day.

Marcum's group, ARCA ran a show there as part of the Ohio 500. Guys like Ralph Lathum, Wayne Watercutter, Iggy Katona, Andy Hampton and Benny Parsons.