Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Perhaps they should have a height chart like at some roller coaster rides stating that you must be this high to get on the ride. Poor Dani and Loris would be out of a ride
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fat and proud! (well kinda)

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMaster
    proves (to me at least) that any advantages of being lighter than the competition is minimal and plays little bearing in the overall results.
    Therefore if the weight is such a minimal factor, lets just combine the bike and rider weight and move on.

Unlike the 60 something kg poster above, I also raced and was over 100kg at the time.

My weight was not a great disadvantage around corners, but sure hampered me down the straights!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, two of British 125cc racing's stars of the last few years are Chaz Davies and Leon Camier. Chaz is 6 foot tall, while Camier's 6'3" (he was smaller than that when he was in 125's, of course, but still huge compared to the others). So the combined bike and rider weight worked pretty well for those guys.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I really don't think that the riders weight should be entered into. I think the minimum weights for the bikes should be set, but the riders weight should not be considered IMO.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've heard quotes and comments from several riders and team members in MotoGP regarding Dani's weight over the years. It seems that everyone in the know agrees that Dani has no weight advantage or disadvantage. His size might lend to better aerodynamics in some parts of a track but he also has less body weight to through around in other parts of the track.

A good rider and team learn how to setup a bike and ride it according to their own strengths and weaknesses. Good communication between rider and team and a bike that the rider can manipulate into fitting his riding style is what is important. It's as simple as that.
    go speed racer go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a skinny bugger :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mach24
    Therefore if the weight is such a minimal factor, lets just combine the bike and rider weight and move on.
    Or, why fix what ain't broke? I just reckon it becomes more of a pain in the ass adding more regulations and increasing the chances of controversy when a combo doesn't fit within the wieght limits. When does the rider's weight count, before the round or after the race? I think for the sake of keeping things simple then things remain the same.

Unlike the 60 something kg poster above, I also raced and was over 100kg at the time.

My weight was not a great disadvantage around corners, but sure hampered me down the straights!
    What class did you race Mach (not 250 proddies I'll bet! )? There's always seems to be a big bloke racing in the superbike class and they just leave you thinking, the poor bloke's on a hiding to nothing the way sportbikes are getting smaller and smaller. It really is generally a small (in stature) man's sport.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It took 2 cows to make me a set of leathers!

I raced a GSXR600 which was quiet large in comparison to the R6, ZX6 and CBR but it was a slug in a straight line with me on it.

However when I let a mate ride it he went on about how much grunt the thing had.

Combine the weights pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I raced a GSXR600 which was quiet large in comparison to the R6, ZX6 and CBR but it was a slug in a straight line with me on it.

However when I let a mate ride it he went on about how much grunt the thing had.

I must disagree. The weight is set for the bikes, and that's it IMO. If I weigh 120 kg, and Pedrosa weighs 50kgs ? So Danis' bike must weigh 70kg more than my bike with this formula. So, I will be riding an RCV, and Dani must ride a Goldwing to keep the weights even.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxu05
    So, I will be riding an RCV, and Dani must ride a Goldwing to keep the weights even.

At least he'd be more comfortable than you, and he'd be able to listen to the radio.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So a vested interest eh? I don't think they'll have a 250kg combined racing weight!

Quote Originally Posted by maxu05
    I must disagree. The weight is set for the bikes, and that's it IMO. If I weigh 120 kg, and Pedrosa weighs 50kgs ? So Danis' bike must weigh 70kg more than my bike with this formula. So, I will be riding an RCV, and Dani must ride a Goldwing to keep the weights even.
    At least the Goldwing has a reverse gear when he overshoots the straight as it runs out of brakes!
    Get off my lawn