Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Chancellor's pre-budget report: transport changes

£5 extra tax on 75% of flights to pay for environmental programmes
    Inflation rise of 1.25p/L from midnight tonight on fuel duty
    Incentives for bio-fuels for cars and trains
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And you are surprised?? After we all endured record crude oil prices throughout the summer with oil priced in the $70+ bracket which fed through to 95 RON unleaded being priced at just under £1 per litre, there was evidence there that the increased prices didn't mean that anyone was driving any less.

Therefore when the price of a barrel of crude dipped below $60, there was obviously some slack in the system which could be taken up by increasing fuel taxes.

Now the government will no doubt tell us all that this extra revenue is going to fund green initiatives (which ones? where? who will benefit?) but really we all know that it is just going to go into the melting pot of tax expenditure.

There is a perception in the media that we are all going to have to put up with higher fuel costs, but this is just spin to make us feel like we aren't being ripped off when the fuel duty goes up.
    Adventure without risk is Disneyland.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Good job I filled up yesterday. Petrol is expensive enough already without putting it up more

From February, air passenger duty will rise from £5 to £10 for most flights.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Some of the airlines may be getting up in arms about this hike in their passenger duty, but I don't believe an extra fiver will be an undue turn-off. It's hardly a massive dent in the nation's pocket.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Considering for most people flights are an occasional once or twice per year thing, then an extra £5 will make zero difference IMO.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Considering for most people flights are an occasional once or twice per year thing, then an extra £5 will make zero difference IMO.
    And if it does, tough s**t — those people won't be able to fly. Amongst all the recent talk about possibly needing to increase air fares for environmental reasons, few people have pointed out that flying isn't an inalienable right. As with so many other things, if you don't have the cash, you won't be able to do it. I mean, I'd quite like to have an Aston Martin DB9 but as I can't afford it, I can't have one.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    And if it does, tough s**t — those people won't be able to fly. Amongst all the recent talk about possibly needing to increase air fares for environmental reasons, few people have pointed out that flying isn't an inalienable right. As with so many other things, if you don't have the cash, you won't be able to do it. I mean, I'd quite like to have an Aston Martin DB9 but as I can't afford it, I can't have one.
    I agree fully Perhaps it's just me but I'd rather go for slightly more expensive holidays and not be around the sort of people to whom £5 is going to make or break them. My airfare for my two week holiday last year was about £900 and if it was slightly more I would have still gone and I would have still enjoyed it immensely
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree fully Perhaps it's just me being slightly snobbish but I'd rather go for slightly more expensive holidays and not be around the sort of people to whom £5 is going to make or break them. My airfare for my two week holiday last year was about £900 and if it was slightly more I would have still gone and I would have still enjoyed it immensely
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I agree fully Perhaps it's just me being slightly snobbish but I'd rather go for slightly more expensive holidays and not be around the sort of people to whom £5 is going to make or break them. My airfare for my two week holiday last year was about £900 and if it was slightly more I would have still gone and I would have still enjoyed it immensely
    I agree!

This puts me in mind of the wonderful scene from I'm Alan Partridge in which Alan is in conversation with the two Irish TV executives, and says that he's never been to Ireland. One of them says, "You know, that always amazes me, when you think that it's only 49 quid on a plane", to which Partridge replies, "Yes, I think that's kind of what puts me off."

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree!

This puts me in mind of the wonderful scene from I'm Alan Partridge in which Alan is in conversation with the two Irish TV executives, and says that he's never been to Ireland. One of them says, "You know, that always amazes me, when you think that it's only 49 quid on a plane", to which Partridge replies, "Yes, I think that's kind of what puts me off."
    It may seem terribly "Hyancinth Bucket" but I'd be happier not to have to deal with "those" types on an aircraft and in an airport. It's always funny to see people who don't get to fly much The grip they usually have on the armrests when a 777 powers up on the runway is quite comical. Even better in turbulence