Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rally of Canberra Media Release

82 entries are now locked in for next week’s Rally of Canberra, including Guy Wilks, current British Rally Champion, driving a factory-prepared Honda Civic.
    The rally of Canberra will be the largest forest rally seen in Canberra since the heady days of the famous Castrol International of the 1970sand this large field confirms the ACT event as one of Australia’s most significant rallies.
    The Rally of Canberra is the second round of the prestigious FIA Asia Pacific Rally Championship (APRC) the second round of the Australian Rally Championship (ARC) and a round of the PCD Engineering ACT Rally Series. Its three rallies rolled into one, and featuring a a wide variety of world-class machinery. The rally starts in Garema Place in the heart of Canberra’s CBD at 6:30pm next Friday night (May 9) with a ceremonial start.
    This is the 21st running of the Rally of Canberra, making it the longest running international rally in Australia. Canberra is famous for rallying worldwide since the late 70’s when stars like Finland’s Ari Vatenen and Stig Blomqvist competed, with special stages on roads in yet-to-be-completed ACT suburbs.
    Asia-Pacific teams are entered from Malaysia, India, Japan, New Caledonia and Australia. A record number of crews from overseas have entered the rally.
    Canberra is the home to Neal Bates, Canberra’s own three-times Australian rally champion and the current leader in the 2008 Australian Rally Championship after a superb win in WA in the Toyota Racing Development rally team, where he competes against his team-mate, Simon Evans, last year’s championship winner who is out to knock off the “boss” in his similar S2000 Corolla.
    ACT local businesses are also winners with teams and spectators flocking to the rally, drawn by the city’s proximity to the rally course and its world-class food, entertainment and accommodation. Canberra’s stunning scenery will be featured on Network Ten sports coverage and in press coverage around the world an extra bonus to the ACT.

Liked 252 Times in 68 Posts
    Looks like a strong field. Boosted by the inclusion of the ACT series, over 35 cars just from the ACT.

We are competing in the EVO 6.5 Lancer that has been converted from tarmac spe over the last couple of weeks. We are only doing the ACT part of the event, cashing in on the $355 entry fee

Ray
    2007 Australian Rally Champion Driver Class P3
    2011 Australian Rally Champion Codriver Privateers Cup and Premier League,
    2014 Australian Targa Champion Codriver Late Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No Mineshaft this year How can you have Rally of Canberra with out it??

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Mineshaft has not always been included in the ROC. As with all rallies, stages are rotated around. Although there has been a safety concern after Jerie's efforts last year and previous accidents.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm planning to go and watch the Canberra Rally and haven't been there before. Seen plenty of rallies in Europe and to get the right feeling I'd like to and check it out in the bush not in a designated specator area. Does anyone know any good spots? I thought of going and checking out the Mineshaft, but as this is not included this year I've been left empty handed. A tricky hairpin, a jump or just a place where I could see a lot of the track maybe?

Help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone wants to joing from Sydney let me know. Will be leaving tomorrow (Saturday) morning around 5 o'clock to make it there for the first stages.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    First car starts the first stage (Tidbinbilla) at 7:40am. You could possibly catch some action at 5 ways off Paddy River road. Then the second stage also runs in that area and you might be able to see them at Cottage Five (a hairpin turn) or there is a short section that is parallel to Paddy river road (with a 90 degree left turn).
    Mark Kent - The older I get, the faster I was

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for that info. I'm not familiar with the area so could you give the directions a bit more precisely. Are you going to watch it somewhere yourself?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll be helping out in Tidbinbilla, then doing some spectating after that.

To get to Paddy River road, head out along the Cotter road from the Weston Creek area (suburbia). The Cotter road eventually turns into Paddy River road. Just keep going and no doubt you'll see some cars parked on the side of the road in the better viewing areas. There are some stage maps on the Roc web site (http://www.roc.com.au). Print them off and it may be of some help to you. The Cottage Five access road is the point marked as an optional remote refuel.
    Mark Kent - The older I get, the faster I was

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great. Had all the maps sorted. Just wasn't sure which particular spot you meant. Does anyone know of any place where the cars would catch decent air? I guess it would be the best idea to rock up to a place that seems to have attracted other specators as well.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why is it that dirt events are so cheap to enter and yet things like Targa West/Tasmania etc cost thousands for competitors to enter?
    wrc.smugmug.com