Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shortest time for Pole Man to lose the lead

I was thinking, Robert Kubica lost his lead very quickly. So I was wondering what is the shortest time for the driver on Pole to loose the lead and most places lost in one lap (Two seperate records), not including stalls.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know the answer to your question, but on a related subject I do observer that Felipe is a very quick qualifier, and has been for some time now. But has he ever won a race where he wasn't leading at the first corner? I don't believe so. He is certainly quick, but his racecraft seems less then some of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by FIA
    I was thinking, Robert Kubica lost his lead very quickly. So I was wondering what is the shortest time for the driver on Pole to loose the lead and most places lost in one lap (Two seperate records), not including stalls.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The time taken to lose the lead would be hard to measure definitively, since official timing is only done at 3 points throughout the circuit. As for most places lost on one lap, Teo Fabi at the 1985 German GP (dropping to eighth) is one bad start from pole that springs to mind but I doubt that is the record, there's bound to be some instance of a driver on pole spinning or something on the first lap that I can't think of off the top of my head...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    True, so how about number of places lost after the first corner, not incluidng spinners.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    In Suzuka 1998 Schumacher was on pole but stalled and had to start from last, so he lost the lead at the start of the warm up lap
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Not embarrasingly bad, but Riccardo Patrese started on pole in Mexico '91 and exited turn one in 4th.

But my boy was on form that day, quickly passing Alesi (IIRC), Senna, and teammate Mansell before stretching his lead to over 25 seconds.

It was the last time he led the WDC.

I remember Frentzen at Monaco in 1997. Both he and Villenueve, second on the grid, started on slicks when it was raining.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8FDtcjJMjQo

MS was so focused on blocking MH that i think he only realized the silver car behind him was being driven by DC a few laps later

this is one for the books

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Well, there is also the 1994 Italian GP at Monza where David Coulthard spun off and stalled on the warm-up lap! I think that's a pretty short time to lose pole in, not including stalls...

He was later allowed to start from pole in a re-start after Eddie Irvine triggered a first-corner pileup.

But I would think that the French GP of the same year has to be a much shorter time then Kubica took to lose the lead...and Schumacher was 3rd on that grid!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eu
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8FDtcjJMjQo

MS was so focused on blocking MH that i think he only realized the silver car behind him was being driven by DC a few laps later

this is one for the books
    Hi guys, Im new to this forum. I'd like to chime on this and say Im surprised Micheal Schumaker made that mistake at the start there. What year was that btw? I missed that race evidently.