Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    OH, you must be kidding. Bring back the chainsaws ? Sure they were brutal, and harder to ride. Why don't we just bring back Drum Brakes, that will sort em out. lets make them ride with solid rear ends, and really shake their teeth out. How many 2 strokes do you see on the road these days ? Why would a manufacturer bother with 2 stroke tech, when it is so out of date. I remember the first year of the 4 stroke era, when 2 strokes were still able to enter, they couldn't keep up with the 4 strokes, so why go back in time ? Perhaps we should get the riders to wear the old pudding helmets and goggles too.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bring back the dustbins!
    Get off my lawn

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFX...
    When Moto GP was exciting????? er that would be before it existed actually back in the heady olden days of Grand Prix 500cc screamers when men were men and the kids all rode the 80cc class.

Cant remember much that excieted me since Doohan retired.....
    Phillip Island 89 was the best race I have ever seen, been nothing really since that could match the real GP legends Rainey, Doohan, Gardner, Sarron and the rest of the old guard mokin:
    Firstly 2-stroke sucks the big one, noisy and irritating. Secondly I never saw the 500s but that Sachsenring race that Corny started the thread with was undeniably exciting.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Must admit I loved the 2-strokes. Something about the noise, smoke, power, etc
    2000 Italian GP at Mugello was a classic; Rossi took the lead with 2 laps remaining and promptly fell off, leaving Biaggi for the win, who himself fell off on the last lap. Capirossi won follwed by Checa and McWilliams.
    Remember reading in MCN last year that there could be a future for 2-strokes due to modern technology.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "Anyone" who knocks the 500 screamer era.... quite obviously has never seen them race!

I feel sorry for em actually, you missed the best riders on the wildest machines ever to take to the race track....
    #1 #7 #13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have watched the bikes since around 1985, and must say that I do not miss the 500cc bikes. Sure, it was great racing, but, the racing should somehow relate to the street IMO. Superbikes are great, as the bikes directly relate to what you can buy in the showroom. Motogp, though not related to street bikes, has an impact on road bike technology, and future products. I can't think of a 2 stroke road bike available in the showroom, apart from 50cc 2 stroke scooters. Why are Honda struggling with 250cc 2 stroke racing, because they have stopped developing the bike, as they consider it a waste of time. 4 strokes are the way to go.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wish I was watching back when it was just the 500cc championship. While I've always loved motorcycles you can thank the Faster documentary for turning me onto street bikes and motorcycle racing in general. So my ability to judge "when racing was exciting" is a very narrow view.

Give me any race, in any class, riding any type of machinery where you still have no idea who is going to win on the last lap and I call that an exciting race. We had lots of that in recent years and I'm sure we will see it soon, but I can't remember the last race where that was the case.

With any luck it will be a Pedrosa vs Lorenzo end to the season with the results decided in the last round. With even more luck Rossi or Stoner will have a chance at stealing the glory from both Spanish riders.
    go speed racer go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well relating Moto GP to the street is like saying F1 should be similar to the street? 500's may not be the same as production machinery but the topic here I believe was more to do with when racing was exciting? Anyway since I started watching bike GP in the mid 80's nothing has come remotely close to being as exciting as the screamer 500's.... And to think I thought it was getting boring/easy with the big bangers, let alone the 4 stroke era! Its been totaly lame since 2000 and a one horse race. 06 was the first sign of things starting to turn around actually with the tyre rules being finally addressed, 07 and so was great for the thrashing Casey dished up great to see and well deserved, 08 will be better still with Horhay, Pedrosa and Casey so far looking like fighting for the title and glory....
    #1 #7 #13

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxu05
    I have watched the bikes since around 1985, and must say that I do not miss the 500cc bikes. Sure, it was great racing, but, the racing should somehow relate to the street IMO. Superbikes are great, as the bikes directly relate to what you can buy in the showroom. Motogp, though not related to street bikes, has an impact on road bike technology, and future products. I can't think of a 2 stroke road bike available in the showroom, apart from 50cc 2 stroke scooters. Why are Honda struggling with 250cc 2 stroke racing, because they have stopped developing the bike, as they consider it a waste of time. 4 strokes are the way to go.
    While I understand your point, I always thought the 500's/Moto GP class were prototypes - similar to F1. If you want showroom, Superbikes is for you - as are Touring Cars, Rallying ,etc

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFX...
    "Anyone" who knocks the 500 screamer era.... quite obviously has never seen them race!

I feel sorry for em actually, you missed the best riders on the wildest machines ever to take to the race track....
    What gave it away? Was it when I said that I never saw 500s? :

I've seen 500s at Goodwood and the like and while the racing may have been fantastic the noise really gets on my t**s.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.