• Resign Immediately

52 75.36%
  • Remain as President.

11 15.94%
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The FIA

I know the last thread on Max was closed but I think that the wider question of the FIA and it's credibility needs to be discussed.

The FIA and it's relationship with F1 should be mutually respectful and conducive to the good of the sport and safety of the participants.

It is my opinion that the relationship has been brought into question.

Why?

1. The relationship between FIA and FOM is too close. Max and Bernie are seen as one and the same, making decisions that appear to be based on commercial rationale rather than for the good of the sport.

2. It is perceived by a lot of people that the FIA favor Ferrari.

3. The head of the FIA is known more for his personal vendettas (i.e. Ron Dennis) and verbal attacks (i.e. JYS) than for anything constructive.

4. Leaving out his father's political views and here say, Max Mosely has been publicly exposed using prostitutes (which may result in criminal action).

5. There have been numerous examples of mismanagement / poor decision making that have damaged the sport and even brought it into disrepute.

6. F1, in recent years, has been allowed to deteriorate as a sporting spectacle by FIA decisions and legislation that has consistently been detrimental to good racing.

So, at the very least, I believe Max needs to be replaced by a figurehead who commands respect throughout the sport and hopefully, the relationship between the FIA and F1 can be rebuilt.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I've always thought the relationship between the FIA, Formula 1 and the wider motorsport world to be a strange one.

As far as I know the FIA is the ultimate sanctioning body for all worldwide motorsport, and they delegate this responsibility to national bodies such as the MSA in the UK, which in turn may saction series orginisers such as TOCA.

I think there is a conflict of interest in there in that not only is the FIA the worldwide governing body, but it is effectively directly in charge of one of the sports it sanctions, namely Formula 1. This could, and probably has resulted in situations where the FIA has acted against the interests of other sports in order to protect Formula 1.

IMO, the organisation of Formula 1 should be removed from the FIA and given wholly over to FOM or other body and the FIA should assume the role purely as a governing body with no direct say in the day to day running of the sport, or at least no more say than it has over other sports, e.g. IndyCar.

I apply my point equally to the WRC and WTCC too.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I've always thought the relationship between the FIA, Formula 1 and the wider motorsport world to be a strange one.

As far as I know the FIA is the ultimate sanctioning body for all worldwide motorsport, and they delegate this responsibility to national bodies such as the MSA in the UK, which in turn may saction series orginisers such as TOCA.

I think there is a conflict of interest in there in that not only is the FIA the worldwide governing body, but it is effectively directly in charge of one of the sports it sanctions, namely Formula 1. This could, and probably has resulted in situations where the FIA has acted against the interests of other sports in order to protect Formula 1.

IMO, the organisation of Formula 1 should be removed from the FIA and given wholly over to FOM or other body and the FIA should assume the role purely as a governing body with no direct say in the day to day running of the sport, or at least no more say than it has over other sports, e.g. IndyCar.

I apply my point equally to the WRC and WTCC too.
    The FIA's reputation in F1 has been severly compromised over a number of years and this latest scandal is indicitive of this.

The fact that people thing Max is too powerful is obvious in that people think he will just brush it off and ignore it as he does with anything he chooses too.

I think that a branch and root review of the FIA role and structure needs to occur.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My personal issues with max don't stem from his recent activities (though they don't help).

It's the complete lack of accountability and oversight on his decisions that concerns me.

We all go on about motorsport, but that is, in reality, a small part of the FIA's remit.

it is the peak body for auto clubs (rac, adac, racv etc) around the world, and max is elected by and answerable to these people. however, does anybody know how these delegates are posted to their positions?

does anybody know the process that needs to be undertaken to change a delegate whose decisions they are dissatisfied with?

in australia, it is theoretically possible, though practically impossible, to change the club's representatives by vote. most people join a car club to have somebody help them when their car breaks down in the rain, and they couldn't care less about politics. if a good candidate wants to run, they have little chance of having enough little people vote to make the election valid, regardless of whether they win by one vote or 10 votes to one.

then, the sitting board member usually resigns mid-term, allowing the board nomination of another person (of similar mind, naturally) rather than facing an election.

one alternative is the shemozzle that became of the NRMA once major politics got involved.

yet it is from this noble, democratic and member-driven scenario that max has drawn his power.

a representative of the will of motorists, indeed...
    the wise man does at once what the fool does finally - macchiavelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What is needed is an M Mosley replacement in the FIA who cares about Motorsport and to want to enhance its functionality, not just a vehicle [ no pun intended] for [as in Mr Mosley's case] arrogant statements that reflect an apparent need for a seedy demonstration of his "Power'.

One Adolph H had similar traits....

The off track activities are of no concern to me but the Mosley attitude in FIA terms is to be deplored and does NOTHING but harm the sport generally.

Power corrupts etc.....

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    I think Knockie's point about the relationship between the FIA & FOM is a good one. Max and Bernie are so closely linked going back to FOCA's battle with FISA, where they essentially fought for control of F1 against FISA President Balestre.

On the surface their roles should be clear enough - Max runs the rulemaking body and Bernie the commercial side of the sport - but the reality is they are seen as running the sport together and that is not a good thing IMHO.

The FIA President is responsible for a wide range of motoring (not just motor sport) issues and should be above the day to day running of any one particular category of motor sport (again IMHO!).

I guess one of the reasons for the FIA President being seen as directly in charge of F1 is that F1 is the 'jewel in the crown' of motorsport. It is the most high profile of all the categories that fall under the jurisdiction of the FIA, and therefore the FIA President, who ever they may be, is always likely to be closely involved.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I think Knockie's point about the relationship between the FIA & FOM is a good one. Max and Bernie are so closely linked going back to FOCA's battle with FISA, where they essentially fought for control of F1 against FISA President Balestre.

On the surface their roles should be clear enough - Max runs the rulemaking body and Bernie the commercial side of the sport - but the reality is they are seen as running the sport together and that is not a good thing IMHO.

The FIA President is responsible for a wide range of motoring (not just motor sport) issues and should be above the day to day running of any one particular category of motor sport (again IMHO!).

I guess one of the reasons for the FIA President being seen as directly in charge of F1 is that F1 is the 'jewel in the crown' of motorsport. It is the most high profile of all the categories that fall under the jurisdiction of the FIA, and therefore the FIA President, who ever they may be, is always likely to be closely involved.
    Very valid points and this is demonstrated perfectly by people associating F1 and Max rather than the FIA and Max. This latest fiasco being a case in point.

Well, if you're reading this Max, then leave, just leave with a loss of dignity and respect rather than the ignominy of being sacked.

Then, a new head can start rebuilding the FIA's credibility and learn not to get too close to sports.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey T
    My personal issues with max don't stem from his recent activities (though they don't help).

It's the complete lack of accountability and oversight on his decisions that concerns me.
    I agree.

Why can't he just...LEAVE?!

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1

Some good points raised here. There is always confusion when it comes to F1/ FIA stories, even supposedly informed journalists don’t know the difference.
    The FIA is the governing body of World Motorsport. The 3 sanctioned World Championships are F1, WRC and WTCC. The President is Max Moseley, he is not the Boss of F1. However the FIA make the rules for the various sports. Bernie is/was Vice- President, though he is boss of Promotional Affairs. He is not the Boss of F1, as far as I know.
    As much as I like F1, I also like WRC, WTCC, and feel they don’t get a fair crack of the whip. It could be said that the FIA show favouritism to F1 at the expense of the other 2. Particularly when the WRC was doing well 5-6 years ago, then strange rules came in, and has gone down the drain ever since.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Yet, he's stonewalling calls to step down. Perhaps this quote explains the ethos of the man...
    I think perhaps JYS hit a nail in an interview with Tony Dodgins. Mention was made of the now infamous "halfwit" comment...:

"I got a handshake from Max the other day...He said, 'let's forget all that. It's the past. He ran into me and he was his gushing self. There's no conscience there..."
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993