Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts

Ron Hedgeing his Bet?

I find the revelation of Ron being personally responsible for the salvation of Heikki fantastic!!
    This has been discussed on other threads, but the story has taken on a life of it's own!

"Team boss Dennis makes no bones about his belief that Renault, led by outspoken Italian Flavio Briatore
    with whom there is no love lost, did no favours to Kovalainen last year before replacing him for 2008 with Nelson Piquet."

Is he trying to make it sound like Flav ditched Heikki for Jr?
    http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...29001728.shtml
    Where was all this salacious info before Heikki beat Hamilton?

"Dennis said Kovalainen, whose F1 debut was dismissed as 'rubbish' by Briatore,
    'lost his motivation' in 2007 as he was 'misguided' in how to go about things like physical preparation."

If I'm not mistaken Heikki ran a big time Marathon within days of the end of last season!
    Perhaps Ron is talking about physical preparation more specific to F1.

"Then when we spoke to him you could just see that look which says it is in there
    if we could just get his self-belief back, get him into a position where he knew what he had to do."

My god!!!
    Ron, you wouldn't be hedging your bet in the event that LH is beaten by your new masterpiece of self improvement

L. Ron Hubbard Dennis!..... I do like the sound of it !!

Cheers! Ah... no thanks I think I'll pass on the elixir of positive brainwas.. I mean thinking!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    L. Ron Hubbard Dennis...that's a new one!

And yes, I think he is talking about physical preparation regimes as directed by the teams. Remember it was Ron who, as a team boss, first implemented specific training regimes to his drivers.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let's remember that Heikki is also the kid who beat M Schumacher in the finals at the race of champions a few years back. He didn't do all to bad in GP2 either, barely being beaten by Nico at the wire.

Heikki wasn't as impressive as perhaps I would have thought last year at Renault. He certainly doesn't seem to be very far behind Lewis's talent in the Mclaren. This kid could very well be the upset of '08.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by jjanicke
    Let's remember that Heikki is also the kid who beat M Schumacher in the finals at the race of champions a few years back. He didn't do all to bad in GP2 either, barely being beaten by Nico at the wire.

Heikki wasn't as impressive as perhaps I would have thought last year at Renault. He certainly doesn't seem to be very far behind Lewis's talent in the Mclaren. This kid could very well be the upset of '08.
    Not only do you (and myself) as well as a lot of other people that have been paying attention
    have this feeling.(that Heikki could be the upset kid) Ron is trying to take credit for it! Thus this thread!!
    (which BTW has a mis-spelling in the title) If I was being less subtle I would have titled it:
    "Where the He!! Does Ron Get Off Claiming That He Made This Kid Out of A Discarded Piece of Crap"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ron is simply taking after Angelina Jolie by adopting "sons" from all over the world and giving them a better life!

(Of course you're bound to get a rebellious one now and then...i.e. FA)
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    I'm not sure how Renault does their fitness and mental training, but there has been stories about McLaren's work in the last months since they work with a Finnish fitness centre and have a Finn for a team doctor. According to Kovalainen, McLarens approach physical and mental training is more professional than what they had at Renault.
    In that sense Dennis's comments, which BTW are similar to what he has said before the first race, wouldn't be far off the truth.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    I'm not sure how Renault does their fitness and mental training, but there has been stories about McLaren's work in the last months since they work with a Finnish fitness centre and have a Finn for a team doctor. According to Kovalainen, McLarens approach physical and mental training is more professional than what they had at Renault.
    In that sense Dennis's comments, which BTW are similar to what he has said before the first race, wouldn't be far off the truth.
    Yes I understand their is a difference in being fit for max results in F1, and the fitness required to run 26+ miles! That is a point well taken! I just get the impression, and in fairness to Ron it may be media driven, and blown out of proportion, that their is way to much emphasis on what a reclamation project he had to have been, coming in! Throw in the timing, and it's a little fishy to me!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ridiculous. heikki had no problems at IMO the most difficult race of last season (Fuji), and that was close to the end of the season. he had no problems finishing in second place, and holding off the to be world champion raikkonen. now, i do possibly agree with the fitness and mental preperation thing, but to suggest that by taking on heikki, ron dennis has personally been responsible for the salvation of a particularly mentally tough finn, who, on the face of it, had a pretty damn good rookie season, is to be an insult to the finn. kovy was unlucky at reno, seeing as how briatore wanted fernando and piquet jnr. this year. however, kovy was not mclarens first choice either. if, and this is a big if, kovy had been relentlessly pursued by mclaren when alonso left, then i think ron would have grounds for this claim. but, he wasn't. just after heikki has outqualified and outraced lewis, these comments start emerging.
    I didn't know chickens were capable of being vicious.

Quote Originally Posted by ottostreet
    ridiculous. heikki had no problems at IMO the most difficult race of last season (Fuji), and that was close to the end of the season. he had no problems finishing in second place, and holding off the to be world champion raikkonen. now, i do possibly agree with the fitness and mental preperation thing, but to suggest that by taking on heikki, ron dennis has personally been responsible for the salvation of a particularly mentally tough finn, who, on the face of it, had a pretty damn good rookie season, is to be an insult to the finn. kovy was unlucky at reno, seeing as how briatore wanted fernando and piquet jnr. this year. however, kovy was not mclarens first choice either. if, and this is a big if, kovy had been relentlessly pursued by mclaren when alonso left, then i think ron would have grounds for this claim. but, he wasn't. just after heikki has outqualified and outraced lewis, these comments start emerging.
    Thank you!
    Because what you expressed in this post elaborate's on my reasoning for starting it!
    Some of Ron's comments are quite bazarre!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    A guy who is able to run the Marathon is more than enough fit to drive an F1 car for 90-120 minutes at top levels.
    The only thing needed that is different is neck muscles training.

As for Ron and McLaren being the ones who revolutionized physical training in F1, that's bull-brownies! There was a guy called M. Schumacher who was the fittest from the beginning to the end of his F1 career, and he never drove for the McTeam.

The only time Ron had to implement harder physical training was with JPM!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro