Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old Films about World Rally Championship

Hi there,

We have seen several times in this forum some threads about "What DVDs do you have in your collection". But I would like to be more specific. My intention is to know whether there is someone with very old and rare rally films which are not being sold by Duke, APV etc.

I'm wondering whether there are rally fans having some old films, productions, or broadcasted by some TV channel with footages of some WRC event in the past.

Is there any old stuff in your archives???
    Rally 4ever!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's a good point, I've seen many previews of Rally Monte Carlo where they show black and white footage from a long time ago, but I haven't seen this footage anywhere else.

Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
    got some on VHS from early 1980's (Eurosport YLE)
    "San Romolo opettaa"

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    My earliest stuff recorded from the TV onto VHS at the time of its original broadcast is from 1983, and includes WRC and British Open Championship events, plus the Mille Pistes, all shown on either the BBC or ITV. Subsequently, a late-night filler programme on ITV called ITV Sport Classics (rather an oxymoron) showed their coverage of the 1981 RAC Rally, so I have that too.

As for the black-and-white footage of the Monte Carlo, there is a lot of it about, but I would assume that a fair proportion of that from the 1960s (and earlier) is newsreel footage. Whether such as the BBC and other national broadcasters used to carry reports, I don't know. I would assume that there were items of some sort. BBC commentator Raymond Baxter drove one of the works Mini Coopers in 1964, and I would think that he did a broadcast based on this.

Incidentally, the first time that there were proper nightly TV reports on the RAC Rally in the UK was in 1984, when Top Gear Rally Report began.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Got 80 and 81 1000 lakes but the quality is not so good.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The earliest stuff I got is 1984 BRC, ERC and WRC - I recorded everything from tapes to PC.