Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #27 shuts down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unhappy #27 shuts down

Slugger Labbe, crew chief of the #27 Toyota for Bill Davis Racing says that the team has suspended operations due to lack of funding. The #27 may run Talladega but sponsorship money is needed to keep this team afloat.

jayski.com
    I solumly swear I'm up to no good :devil:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bill Davis Racing is on the ropes ...

I noticed that Johnny Benson Jr had been withdrawn from the Bristol entry list ...
    I thought Bill Davis Racing might scale back the #27 but I didn't expect them to shut down ...
    the sponsorship dollars are more important to the teams than ever before ...
    sadly the mid-pack & back teams will continue to have sponsorship woes ...
    any team not in the the top 35 in owners points could have problems getting sponsorship.
    2008 ESPN Stockcar Challenge MSF Champion :D
    2007 Yahoo! Boogity Boogity Boogity Champion :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFanStan
    any team not in the the top 35 in owners points could have problems getting sponsorship.
    So maybe its time to give some serious thought to NASCAR franchising starting places to teams. Then a car is guaranteed to get into the race and the sponsor gets the exposure they need to justify their expenditure.

I know that this is controversial, but it does make very good business sense and could be the future model for NASCAR...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasman
    So maybe its time to give some serious thought to NASCAR franchising starting places to teams. Then a car is guaranteed to get into the race and the sponsor gets the exposure they need to justify their expenditure.

I know that this is controversial, but it does make very good business sense and could be the future model for NASCAR...
    That's what Formula One does. It does offer value for the team owners, but it's a shame that it exclueds anyone not in the "club".
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Pesonally I'm not fond of anything but the fastest 43 cars in the field. No provisionals, period. The way it should be. Many of the smaller teams would get in week to week on speed alone, but the top 35 and provisionals knock them out. Last seasoon, how often were the toyotas well in on speed but knocked out py a provisional. That's a wrong as it gets in racing.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So you mean that a guy can win over 10 CUP races or be a previous CUP champion
    but have engine failure on his qualifying lap & he has to go home ???
    Whether you like them or not, provisionals are needed !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFanStan
    So you mean that a guy can win over 10 CUP races or be a previous CUP champion
    but have engine failure on his qualifying lap & he has to go home ???
    Whether you like them or not, provisionals are needed !!!
    Bingo.

Without some kind of provisional system, you would need to have some kind of a qualifying system that would give everyone 2 or 3 chances to qualify.

Hey, engine failure? It could be something as simple as a leaking tire.

There's no other major racing series that I know of that doesn't have either some kind of guarantee to make the field (provisionals) or multiple qualifying attempts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yep - I agree with that too.

Talk about shaking up the field. I am amazed at this provisional thing. Weird rule - I can understand it because the 'crowd' want to see the stars, but how do the future stars emerge if they are routinely sent home every week.

And surely the crowd want to see the best cars out there rather than the best names, no?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb

As they say, "the cream will rise to the top" ...
    if future stars have the talent & have a competitve car/team, they will make the race on speed* ...
    however any driver with a non-competitive car/team will soon drop out of the top 35 in owners points.

Making the race doesn't assure making a large number of points,
    accumulating good points requires consistant good finishes,
    just making the top 35 in owners points doesn't keep them there,
    the driver/car/team have to perform or else they will drop out of the top 35 in owners points.

speed* = the 7 fastest qualifiers will earn their way into the race.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colinspooky
    yep - I agree with that too.

Talk about shaking up the field. I am amazed at this provisional thing. Weird rule - I can understand it because the 'crowd' want to see the stars, but how do the future stars emerge if they are routinely sent home every week.

And surely the crowd want to see the best cars out there rather than the best names, no?
    At least in NASCAR, they get a chance. NASCAR walks a fine line between protecting the guys who make the sport and giving others a chance.

In Formula One, how do they get a chance if they are not part of the exclusive club. How can they get a chance at the biggest race in the world, the 24 Hours of LeMans, when it is by invitation only?