Page 1153 of 1269 FirstFirst ... 15365310531103114311511152115311541155116312031253 ... LastLast
Results 11,521 to 11,530 of 12690

Thread: WRC Testing

Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    The latest video preview 'The WRC Magazine' shows the Hyundai Rally1 car test.

Both Neuville and Tanak are interviewed and are talking quite optimistically about the new car for 2022. Tanak is pretty cheerful on the learning aspect and you would not suspect any chance of him retiring.

Neuville says he is enjoying the 'boost' to 500bhp which is quite a surprise to handle, especially on gravel.

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_right View Post
    Considering how much Ott has been testing lately, I truly believe that the Monza absent is just because Hyundai is so much behind. He is testing in Italy, gathering as much info as possible, then all the mechanics and engineers, who are also needed in Monza will travel without any COVID restrictions to there, do the rally and others (maybe even Ott) will go to the factory and based on feedback develop the car. And I wouldn't be surprised that early next week we can see Thierry taking over the testing in Italy.
    Yeah, that's so far the explanation that makes most sense to me. Real "personal reasons" like illness in family etc. don't line up so well with all the testing.

4. Likes: WRC1 (16th November 2021)
    Tanak in the Rally1 interview:
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Considering how much Ott has been testing lately, I truly believe that the Monza absent is just because Hyundai is so much behind. He is testing in Italy, gathering as much info as possible, then all the mechanics and engineers, who are also needed in Monza will travel without any COVID restrictions to there, do the rally and others (maybe even Ott) will go to the factory and based on feedback develop the car. And I wouldn't be surprised that early next week we can see Thierry taking over the testing in Italy.
    I still don't understand this theory. "How much Ott has been testing lately", not any bit more than Neuville? And like I said, the teams cannot test the new cars unlimitedly, there's only 30 extra days allowed. I understand Ott is good at developing cars, but how would his presence at the factory help the engineers, assuming they cannot do any testing at the factory? When they do two days of testing, they likely get a good set of data and comments from the drivers, and know what they must work on, without getting any more input until the next test with the new changes. Finally, I wouldn't believe the team could develop the new car while a WRC event is ongoing. Too much important personnel would have to be in two places at the same time, or at least thinking and concentrating on two things via messages from the factory (engineers, mechanics, drivers, bosses etc)

7. Likes: becher (16th November 2021)
    Liked 488 Times in 188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I still don't understand this theory. "How much Ott has been testing lately", not any bit more than Neuville?
    I'll rephrase this. Considering how much Hyundai has been testing lately. I think everyone agrees and Hyundai has said it themselves that compared to others they are behind in development and they have a lot to do. Monza rally itself takes at least a week with all the travelling, recce etc. Now Ott can just focus on testing and no other extra activities.

And like I said, the teams cannot test the new cars unlimitedly, there's only 30 extra days allowed.
    True, but they still need to use those days and it is already in the middle of November. And as you said, these are extra days... so there should be some normal testing days days also? I think they try to use all of them and not on the last days because they need to have time to react on the feedback they got from testing. And all this has to be done before the homologation deadline which I don't know but someone from another topic said that it is in the beginning of January. It is only 1.5 months...

I understand Ott is good at developing cars, but how would his presence at the factory help the engineers, assuming they cannot do any testing at the factory? When they do two days of testing, they likely get a good set of data and comments from the drivers, and know what they must work on, without getting any more input until the next test with the new changes.
    Agree, I think with the feedback from Thierry and Ott it is enough to do and it was just an idea but still this can't be ruled out.

Finally, I wouldn't believe the team could develop the new car while a WRC event is ongoing. Too much important personnel would have to be in two places at the same time, or at least thinking and concentrating on two things via messages from the factory (engineers, mechanics, drivers, bosses etc)
    Knowing how much they are behind, do you really think that they would pause the project for at least 1 week? I really can't believe it and I think they have enough personnel for both tasks. They have more people in the team than go to rallies. Or for example do you think that Loriaux will be in Monza?

Extra info: In Estonia, today we had this rally preview where one journalist and two (ex) rally drivers were discussing what is happening in WRC and what will happen the upcoming rally. They said this for sure, that everything is OK with family and no-one has died there and all is OK. They were rather disappointed in the announcement and said it should have been something more believable. Also they thought that the testing was the most probable reason why Ott is absent. This is my personal belief but I think they have some inside info also as this YouTube podcast is sponsored Ott's personal sponsor and as two quests were rally drivers then they also should know something. I think rally drivers talk to each other and something has leaked for sure.
    Last edited by flat_right; 16th November 2021 at 14:22.

Hyundai Motorsport released a statement confirming the team changes for Rally Monza.

“We have a last-minute change in our crew line-up for ACI Rally Monza,” the statement read. “Sadly, Ott Tänak (and Martin Jarveoja) will be forced to miss the event due to personal family matters. We wish Ott all the best and we can’t wait to see him back in action with the team in 2022 !"
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    With all the Rally1 testing vids people were starting to wonder if Tanak goes to Monza so Hyundai felt the need to repeat themselves?

Liked 108 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    With all the Rally1 testing vids people were starting to wonder if Tanak goes to Monza so Hyundai felt the need to repeat themselves?
    Eh?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    True, but they still need to use those days and it is already in the middle of November. And as you said, these are extra days... so there should be some normal testing days days also? I think they try to use all of them and not on the last days because they need to have time to react on the feedback they got from testing. And all this has to be done before the homologation deadline which I don't know but someone from another topic said that it is in the beginning of January. It is only 1.5 months...
    But as you have seen Hyundai has been testing the current car all along so they don't have much reserve from the "normal 2021 test days" left. I haven't counted but I would assume Hyundai has already used half of its 30 days for the Rally1 car. If you take the car out five times with three drivers (even Solberg has driven it), it makes 15 days. And good to remember that according to Adamo they did four days of tarmac testing in the summer without any footage surfacing.

Deadline is indeed 1st January 2022, but between Tänak's announcement and Monza they have tested only once, so it doesn't seem like they're in a super big hurry that would require Tänak to skip Monza. Or if they are, those few days wouldn't matter anyway.
    Knowing how much they are behind, do you really think that they would pause the project for at least 1 week? I really can't believe it and I think they have enough personnel for both tasks. They have more people in the team than go to rallies. Or for example do you think that Loriaux will be in Monza?
    Of course a person like Loriaux who has assumedly never worked on the current car has nothing else to work right now than the new car, but I would assume the few main engineers are as important in Monza as in the new car development.
    Extra info: In Estonia, today we had this rally preview where one journalist and two (ex) rally drivers were discussing what is happening in WRC and what will happen the upcoming rally. They said this for sure, that everything is OK with family and no-one has died there and all is OK. They were rather disappointed in the announcement and said it should have been something more believable. Also they thought that the testing was the most probable reason why Ott is absent. This is my personal belief but I think they have some inside info also as this YouTube podcast is sponsored Ott's personal sponsor and as two quests were rally drivers then they also should know something. I think rally drivers talk to each other and something has leaked for sure.
    Well this is interesting...
    Last edited by AnttiL; 17th November 2021 at 05:31.