Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MotoGP Qatar 2008

Season 2008 - Fogarty: Toseland can win on debut

Eurosport - Sun, 06 Jan 10:26:00 2008

James Toseland can stun the Moto GP world by winning on his debut in Qatar, according to World Superbike legend Carl Fogarty.

Toseland, 27, will ride for the Tech-3 Yamaha team this season after winning his second World Superbike title in 2007 with Ten Kate Honda.
    And fellow Briton Fogarty, who is the most successful rider in World Superbike history with four world crowns and 59 wins, sees no reason why he cannot shake up the Grand Prix paddock right from the word go at the Losail circuit in Doha.
    "I think he'll be really fired up and I'd love to see him win a race - I really would," Fogarty told Motorcycle News.
    "There is no reason why he can't. All he's doing is riding a bike that's a little bit faster and a little bit lighter - that's all. At the circuits he knows like Qatar - where he's already won in Superbikes - he can go out and win the race.
    Fogarty knows what he is talking about. He finished sixth as a wildcard in only his second Moto GP race - the 1990 Swedish Grand Prix - at a time when his only international competition had been in endurance events and road races.
    He is convinced that Toseland, with two WSBK titles and 16 wins to his name, is in a much better position to take a race victory against the likes of Valentino Rossi and world champion Casey Stoner.

But he insists that the key to success is getting enough testing mileage under his belt before the season starts.
    "He needs to get plenty of testing and not get fazed by the big names," Fogarty added. "I'd love to see him win at Donington especially, although that would make me well jealous."
    No Briton has won a Moto GP race since the late Barry Sheen triumphed at the Swedish Grand Prix 27 years ago.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Fogarty = Freaking Knob Head... Nuff said..
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've never heard him back another British rider like that, though...

I do think JT has what it takes to run at the front in MotoGP. As for taking a title, well that's a whole different kettle of chips...
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree with all the above posts. Fogarty is a tool, but, he does have a point. I think that Toseland is the best prospect for Brits to be up at the pointy end for once. I don't think he will be a threat for the title this year, but I can see him on the podium at least once this year.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tha_jackal
    Fogarty = Freaking Knob Head... Nuff said..

The forum censor would break if people wrote the real words they thought about Foggy.

As for Toseland being a front runner I'm not so sure. Both Bayliss and Edwards took a while to settle in and I consider them to be better SBK riders.

I would hope that Toseland will do well this season but there is some tough competition and I don't expect to see him standing on the top step.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bayliss and Edwards are hardcore WSB competitors, certainly. But look at the figures:

Number of WSB titles

Bayliss - 2
    Edwards - 2
    Toseland - 2

Only Corser can match that. Toseland is up there in serious company.

Toseland is younger, fitter (well, Bayliss is no slouch) and I daresay hungrier than Bayliss and Edwards when it comes to MotoGP. He also has a level head and the good old Brit 'never say die' attitude. I think it will be interesting to see how he goes in the next 2 or 3 years.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bayliss could ride the Tour de France so he's not fitter than Troy but with time on his side, JT should be able to learn to adapt well and he will show he deserves to be in MotoGP. Winning first time out is a dream though.
    Bayliss was a victim of a poor bike on a contract year not because he couldn't cut it.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    Bayliss and Edwards are hardcore WSB competitors, certainly. But look at the figures:

Number of WSB titles

Bayliss - 2
    Edwards - 2
    Toseland - 2

Only Corser can match that. Toseland is up there in serious company.

Toseland is younger, fitter (well, Bayliss is no slouch) and I daresay hungrier than Bayliss and Edwards when it comes to MotoGP. He also has a level head and the good old Brit 'never say die' attitude. I think it will be interesting to see how he goes in the next 2 or 3 years.

Let's be honest though Edwards and Bayliss won when there was some serious competition (mostly from each other). I stopped watching SBK a while back so not sure what it's like but I seem to remember Toseland and his team mate just walking away from the rest.

That sai he is a superb rider no doubt but I just don't think he'll do that well this season. As for hungrier I don't think that any one rider has more desire to win than another.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    '' All he's doing is riding a bike that's a little bit faster and a little bit lighter - that's all ''

I like Foggy, but this is a complete joke
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Foggy= A legend in his own hand!, and full of more BS excuse's than a politician as to why he couldnt hack it in the 500's. I still clearly remember Foggy rubbishing Doohan because he reckoned Mick was not good enough/scared to come ride SBK against him back in the day....

That said I hope JT does do well, he seems way more talented and much less of a pin head than the 'great one'
    #1 #7 #13