Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts

Best WRC event of all time?

Certainly, in my view, the best individual performance ever in the WRC. These videos are the original BBC coverage of the 1983 1000 Lakes Rally, in which Hannu Mikkola scored a quite incredible victory. I'll never forget this one. Commentary, by the way, from David Icke.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T-7Eryiy7BE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDPhguJXiA&NR=1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a cople of favourites, 1985 1000 Lakes for the sheer spectacle of the supercars in their pomp.
    Also 1990 RAC, primarily due to the cracking entry which included, at that time six world champions, 32 seeded drivers (a record) + strength in depth throughout the entry, the reigning European champion, a host of national champions and many top Brits in gp A 4WD machinery.
    The competition in that event was great also, 5 drivers in 4 different makes of car led the event, 11 drivers scored SS victories and there were 7 nationalities in the final top ten. The battle between KKK and Sainz was also mesmerising until Kankkunen went off.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c4
    I have a cople of favourites, 1985 1000 Lakes for the sheer spectacle of the supercars in their pomp.
    Also 1990 RAC, primarily due to the cracking entry which included, at that time six world champions, 32 seeded drivers (a record) + strength in depth throughout the entry, the reigning European champion, a host of national champions and many top Brits in gp A 4WD machinery.
    The competition in that event was great also, 5 drivers in 4 different makes of car led the event, 11 drivers scored SS victories and there were 7 nationalities in the final top ten. The battle between KKK and Sainz was also mesmerising until Kankkunen went off.
    Forgot to mention the drive of the rally, which could only have been a certain Colin McRae in the "shed", was setting top three times at one stage and finished top Brit in sixth. This drive was enough to convince DR where the future lay.

Quote Originally Posted by c4
    That was a great event. So too was the 1985 RAC, even though there were many quite early retirements. Never has the British round of the championship ever generated such interest amongst the public, thanks largely to Tony Pond and the Metro 6R4. If only he hadn't made a wrong tyre choice on the final night...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sanremo 1985, without doubt. Rohrl and Audi Quattro S1 E2 against the Peugeot 205 Turbo, asphalt in Liguria, gravel in Toscana, six stages per day to view as spectator.....wonderful years....

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    None of the events from the past few years will get a vote. Mmm, I wonder why???

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    1987 Rally Portugal: Markku Alen in the Delta HF being harassed by Jean Ragnotti in a 2wd Renault 11 Turbo and Kenneth Eriksson 3rd in the Golf GTI....both ahead of KKK in the Delta. Franocis Chatriot also claimed 5th in the second works Renault 11.

Even Jorge Recalde got into the Top 10 in his FIAT Uno Turbo....2 places ahead of Alex Fiorio int he Jolly Club Delta!!!

Good times
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Quote Originally Posted by I am evil Homer
    1987 Rally Portugal: Markku Alen in the Delta HF being harassed by Jean Ragnotti in a 2wd Renault 11 Turbo and Kenneth Eriksson 3rd in the Golf GTI....both ahead of KKK in the Delta.
    That's another of my favourites. Admittedly, Kankkunen had suffered shock absorber problems, but it was still a great event. As I have often said on here, anyone who thinks that little Group A cars with under 200bhp are automatically dull obviously hasn't watched Ragnotti's performance on that rally. It was quite something to behold. Chatriot was spectacular, too.

The 1987 RAC was an excellent one as well, with Kankkunen's then unique defence of his title, Alen pushing the self-destruct button several times, Jimmy McRae ending up third in the Sierra Cosworth, Louise Aitken-Walker's brilliant drive in her 205 GTi, and the hilarious spectacle of all the Vauxhalls, led by Derek Bell, stalling in the water on the live TV stage.

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts

Cool Wonderful Years...

Quote Originally Posted by General Prim
    Sanremo 1985, without doubt. Rohrl and Audi Quattro S1 E2 against the Peugeot 205 Turbo, asphalt in Liguria, gravel in Toscana, six stages per day to view as spectator.....wonderful years....
    Totally agree with you, that was an amazing rally my brother has a video of that rally, that's one of the reason I often visit him
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Quote Originally Posted by pino
    Totally agree with you, that was an amazing rally my brother has a video of that rally, that's one of the reason I often visit him
    The film on the BBC coverage of Röhrl charging along a long, fast stretch of gravel, leaving an enormous trail of dust behind him, is truly spectacular.