Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    The GPM has a massive amount of potential, and with the organisers switching suppliers from Nicholson-McLaren developed Cosworth engines to Mechacrome (a company with close ties with Renault) and the tyres from Avon to Michelin the competition should be on a more even keel with engine reliability more certain and better tyres than they run in F1! Obviously coverage is a concern, not for me personally as I have Sky Sports, but on a wider scale the series would benefit from having decent terrestrial coverage, but the reason it doesnt wasnt because the series was unwilling to grant the BBC the rights, it was because the BBC wanted dates confirming 18 months in advance, something which I personally think is utterly ludicrous, especially considering a new series such as GPM. Its good that GPM are lowing the age limit and letting drivers like Johnny Herbert race, personally I think the driver formula should be 40+ and at least 5 years out of F1, so if lets say Micheal Schumacher fancied having a go he'd have to wait until he was 43 as he retired when was he pushing 38 (indeed he is now 38, just a couple of days ago).

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Silverstone race was just showed today on Channel Ten. What a brilliant race.

I'd much prefer it if it was shown within a month of the actual race though, and not as filler during the non-ratings period.

I saw the idea of Jean Alesi that GPM events should take place on Grand Prix weekends. Fantastic idea! Coverage wouldn't be so much of a hassle (in theory, anyway) and would provide great entertainment alongside F1 and GP2.
    The idea sounds appealing to me as the V8SC event at the OzGP which I will be attending was called off, so another series which I enjoy and pay attention to would be very nice for Albert Park!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I haven't seen one race, unfortunately. I was told by someone on another site that the races are shown on Speed on Wednesdays, but I checked the schedule on Speed today & of course, there is no GPM race.

Would anyone be kind enough to spare me a dvd copy? I'll trade? PM me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The lastest press release I have found for GP Masters seems to be on Johnny Herberts web site dated 4.1.07. Check it out if you haven't already and watch out for the imminent relaunch of the gpmasters.com web site.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    johnthephysio, thanks for the info Hopefully the site re-launch bodes well for the series as a whole and it can really establish itself in 2007.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    When the series started, I had great hopes for it. The race in Kyalami was promising. However, it seems to have disappeared from the radar somewhat,
    with a decline in media coverage.

The concept remains a fine one, and the latest rumours about new drivers signing up bode well. However, some anomalies need to be resolved. The age limit and eligibility criteria, mainly. Also, what is the series trying to achieve? I can see parallels with the Golf Seniors Tour, which started out as a bit of knockabout fun, and developed into a product almost on a par with the regular tour.

Care must be taken so as not to alienate some of the older, iconic stars. This could happen if younger, fitter, "lesser lights" start to dominate. Paradoxically, the pure sporting credibility of the series would be enhanced if this were to happen.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    I saw the idea of Jean Alesi that GPM events should take place on Grand Prix weekends. Fantastic idea! Coverage wouldn't be so much of a hassle (in theory, anyway) and would provide great entertainment alongside F1 and GP2.
    The idea sounds appealing to me as the V8SC event at the OzGP which I will be attending was called off, so another series which I enjoy and pay attention to would be very nice for Albert Park!
    Could be embarrassing, though. The GP Masters race ends, and most of the crowd gets up to leave........

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GP Masters and F1

I heard it suggested that one of the issues about staging a GP Masters at the same venue as an F1 race, is having sufficient space in the Paddock.......that said, hypothetically there is also the timing of the races to consider. If GP Masters was a scheduled as a warm up to the main event, I agree it could make the F1 race appear relatively dull, if you exclude the start and first hand full of laps that is. For all the initial GP Masters spectators frustrations i.e. no terrestial TV coverage last year and, more recently, August's atrocious weather and pre race engine complications, the racing is very close with, at Silverstone, the lead changing hands every few minutes.

On the other point raised, the younger drivers pitted against older drivers does, for some entusiasts, provide the opportunity to make comparisons not previously possible i.e. Nigel and Johnny? could prove to reignite interest. Watching Hans (Stuck) and Alex (Caffi), the GP Masters official test driver, battle it out in the wet for 4th and 5th at Silverstone proves a point that the experience, which comes with age, is often an advantage.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkFan
    Could be embarrassing, though. The GP Masters race ends, and most of the crowd gets up to leave........
    You can see why Bernie might not like the idea of sharing the bill with GPM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnthephysio
    For all the initial GP Masters spectators frustrations i.e. no terrestial TV coverage last year and, more recently, August's atrocious weather and pre race engine complications, the racing is very close with, at Silverstone, the lead changing hands every few minutes.
    Indeed The racing was close, and everyone enjoyed themselves, even Nigel despite all his trials and tribulations
    Quote Originally Posted by johnthephysio
    On the other point raised, the younger drivers pitted against older drivers does, for some entusiasts, provide the opportunity to make comparisons not previously possible i.e. Nigel and Johnny? could prove to reignite interest.
    Just imagine in a couple of years time...Schumacher v Hill all over again Unlikely to happen, but you never know.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    I can't imagine Damon doing it. How about Schumacher v Hakkinen v Alesi in a few years' time? That would be something to see.