PDA

View Full Version : What Car?

shazbot
10th February 2008, 18:18
When the merger happens I wonder what car will be used? I guess the Dallara is numerically stronger so that makes sense. In that case what happens to the DP01? Surely they can't be moth balled after just one season?! How many Champ teams will actually go to the IRL? Can Dallara make that many cars between now and the season start? Questions, questions!

BobGarage
10th February 2008, 18:33
Can Dallara make that many cars between now and the season start?

there are reportedly 50 new and used dallaras sat around ready to go.
Dallara wouldn't have to make a single new car.

994ever
10th February 2008, 18:51
My opinion: The DP01 is no prize, and ought to be mothballed.

That said, the Dallara is an abomination. Beyond the somewhat suspect safety record, it has produced terrible racing. Less importantly but still significant to some, I've yet to see a single person refer to it as attractive aesthetically.

ChaimWitz
10th February 2008, 19:14
It all comes down to three things:

1) Availability and logistics. There are approximately twice as many Dallaras are there are Panoz DP-01s. They are also know quantities on an oval and they are "Honda ready" in most cases.

2) Cost and Time. The Dallaras will be the far cheaper option rather than commissioning another 20 to 30 Panoz-DP-1s to equip the entire IRL field (and converting cars to Honda installations if that is needed). Time is short so the path of least resistance will win.

3) Reality. ChampCar is going out of business. This is not a merger. A unification perhaps but one in which the ChampCar side has zero control of any aspect. Logic and common sense dictate that the IRL is going to a new car in a year or two anyhow so why not use what they already have.

Think about, it wasn't that long ago that entire fields (60 cars annually including spare cars) of ChampCars and in some cases, engines were often obsolete after a single season.

fan-veteran
10th February 2008, 19:19
I've yet to see a single person refer to it as attractive aesthetically.
I like it, seriously. No joke.

994ever
10th February 2008, 19:22
I like it, seriously. No joke.

I stand corrected. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That said, and as I indicated, I don't think that is particularly important. The other factors I mentioned are much more troubling, imo.

nanders
10th February 2008, 21:45
I stand corrected. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That said, and as I indicated, I don't think that is particularly important. The other factors I mentioned are much more troubling, imo.

If you put the '79 F1 cars next to the Indycar they seem quite similar in shape.

vintage
11th February 2008, 02:06
The Dallara looks like an anteater. The needle-nose of the car is the single ugliest aspect of any modern race car. The Panoz and G-Force IRL cars are beautiful in comparison. Maybe they should go back to the Lolas!

SoCalPVguy
11th February 2008, 02:12
The Dallara looks like an anteater. The needle-nose of the car is the single ugliest aspect of any modern race car. The Panoz and G-Force IRL cars are beautiful in comparison. Maybe they should go back to the Lolas!

You just have to remember the very old Johnny Cash song "I don't like it but I guess things happen that way".

As I said before, CCWS=Beta, IRL=VHS

If they can get togther for a full season or two, a new formula for engines and chassis will be promulgated that will look a lot better than the current needlenose's and will work on both road and oval courses. We just need to be patient through a transitional year or two.

EagleEye
11th February 2008, 02:41
When the merger happens I wonder what car will be used? I guess the Dallara is numerically stronger so that makes sense. In that case what happens to the DP01? Surely they can't be moth balled after just one season?! How many Champ teams will actually go to the IRL? Can Dallara make that many cars between now and the season start? Questions, questions!

If things stay on course, they will use the Dallara chassis. That really is a non-issue.

Not sure about the future.

nanders
11th February 2008, 03:07
You just have to remember the very old Johnny Cash song "I don't like it but I guess things happen that way".

As I said before, CCWS=Beta, IRL=VHS

If they can get togther for a full season or two, a new formula for engines and chassis will be promulgated that will look a lot better than the current needlenose's and will work on both road and oval courses. We just need to be patient through a transitional year or two.

They're both obsolete ... we need something that = ipod.

garyshell
11th February 2008, 06:08
Guys,

Don't forget the Dallara only has one more year on its planned lifecycle.

Gary

MAX_THRUST
11th February 2008, 16:19
Maybe they will choose to run the Dallaras on the ovals and the DPo0928fjjw9ty45n what ever it is on the road courses. Still won't be enough time to get new ones and would the IRL teams be able to fund those cars????

I hate to say it go to the IRL cars if not bring back the REYNARDS AND LOLAS.

Most of the IRL teams who are ex CART will have a couple stored up somewhere......sure Lola won't mind building spare parts....#

No its definately gonna be the Dallara's. If that car was your baby you'd drown it before it got to school, so the other kids didn't take the *****.