PDA

View Full Version : Deal Between CCWS and IRL Is Rumored to Be Done!

heelntoe
10th February 2008, 16:55
Goldcoast.com is reporting that the deal is done and that Motegi has agreed to a date change in principle. I still think we won't hear the details until at least Tuesday, but CCWS is done.

Chaparral66
10th February 2008, 17:58
Well, the devil is in the details. I'd like to see the mechanics of the agreement.

heelntoe
10th February 2008, 18:41
Well, the devil is in the details. I'd like to see the mechanics of the agreement.

Indeed. As expected, all kinds of stuff is already pouring out, the most interesting of which is that the '08 CCWS would have been killed anyway based on Walker and NHL bailing out and that they had major influence on the speed of the deal.

Rogelio
10th February 2008, 19:09
So, if the deal is "done," does that mean that they are only going to run 3 Champ Car races (LB, Edmonton, Surfers)? Also, which cars will race there? I take it they will be IRL cars?

heelntoe
10th February 2008, 19:14
So, if the deal is "done," does that mean that they are only going to run 3 Champ Car races (LB, Edmonton, Surfers)? Also, which cars will race there? I take it they will be IRL cars?

So far, yes. They have a bunch of Dallaras that will be used for '08

Chaparral66
10th February 2008, 19:21
Indeed. As expected, all kinds of stuff is already pouring out, the most interesting of which is that the '08 CCWS would have been killed anyway based on Walker and NHL bailing out and that they had major influence on the speed of the deal.

That's what I don't like. Way too fast. 2009 would have been a better starting point.

fan-veteran
10th February 2008, 19:24
As someone stated, and i would say - this is not purely a merger but an absorption of CCWS by IRL. I hope for good. (If the deal is done of course)

Cart750hp
10th February 2008, 19:24
That's what I don't like. Way too fast. 2009 would have been a better starting point.

I agree, it all seems like they were all rushing per media's article. But we never know what's behind closed doors. If KK all planned out to "sell" the series to IRL, why Sebring test still occured? Could be a cover up or could be "incase" there's no merger happening? But I agree, it's too short of time to do it but I do understand whatever the reason why they must do it asap.

Robert Ryan
10th February 2008, 19:51
Amerged CCWS and IRL would be a new Legal identity. CCWS had not renewed the Surfers contract as far as I know for 2008. We now know A1GP is pretty keen to get onto the Surfers Event and Alan Jones has been making a lot of approaches to the new Queensland Govt about that.

mark123
10th February 2008, 19:56
what the hell would goldcoast.com know!!

when curt from the indystar goes into print - then beleive it. until then, its all speculation and in this case, incorrect press.

heelntoe
10th February 2008, 20:00
what the hell would goldcoast.com know!!

when curt from the indystar goes into print - then beleive it. until then, its all speculation and in this case, incorrect press.

Actually, no. I suggest you watch Robin Miller and Derrick Walker on TV tonight at 11:30pm Indy time on channel 6

mark123
10th February 2008, 20:26
i've read the article - they still have ryan brisco driving for team australia in cc!!!!

don't get me wrong, I think the merger will happen, but i think that this article is mostly guess work surrounded by a lot of BS!!

Robert Ryan
10th February 2008, 20:36
I think the merger will happen, but i think that this article is mostly guess work surrounded by a lot of BS!!

Agreed on that. The Goldcoast Bulletin would be rather biased as regards how wonderful a merged organisation would be.

bzcam
10th February 2008, 20:40
In case anyone is looking for the article its here:

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/02/11/7646_gold-coast-top-story.html

BZ

garyshell
11th February 2008, 06:34

There is no way that a "lame duck" 2008 season could exist. If the sponsors and teams know now that 2008 would be the last season anyway, how many would line up at the first 2008 race? None.

Gary

Chaparral66
11th February 2008, 07:06
There is no way that a "lame duck" 2008 season could exist. If the sponsors and teams know now that 2008 would be the last season anyway, how many would line up at the first 2008 race? None.

Gary

"Lame duck"? We don't even have an agreement confirmed yet. We know they are talking. Why try to shove this thing down everybody's throat this season, after we just had CC testing in Sebring, with Spring Training to follow at some point? Besides, CCWS hasn't shown much ability to get sponsors (due to alway being late getting the ball rolling) these last few years anyway, why would this year be any different?

MAX_THRUST
11th February 2008, 11:50
Nothing is too fast, we have been waiting 13 years for this lets make it happen.......

jwhite9185
11th February 2008, 12:51
As someone stated, and i would say - this is not purely a merger but an absorption of CCWS by IRL. I hope for good. (If the deal is done of course)

Exactly - only 3 CC races and using Dallara's with i assume Honda engines = CCWS rolling over and selling out to the IRL. A true merger would use both Dallara, DP01, Cosworth and Honda. They would also have a more even split on the races.

Latka Gravitz
11th February 2008, 13:52
Here's 6: http://www.theindychannel.com

Robin Miller was on Speed News last evening with a short segment.

Since I'm in Colorado, I have no way to view channel 6 in Indy. Maybe someone there has TiVo'd the story and could post a little on You Tube?

heelntoe
11th February 2008, 14:05
Here's 6: http://www.theindychannel.com

Robin Miller was on Speed News last evening with a short segment.

Since I'm in Colorado, I have no way to view channel 6 in Indy. Maybe someone there has TiVo'd the story and could post a little on You Tube?

Someone posted the transcript over at TF. One of the more colorful comments from RM was about KK, where he said "this guy can't even keep his lies straight"...it was in response to the press release KK/GF put out saying the deal was scuttled by the media...apparently KK had been on the phone with RM nearly a dozen times in the days leading up to this saying so many different things, he couldn't keep his story straight.

millencolin
11th February 2008, 14:32
its the goldcoast.com... thats not even a legit news site

so everyone calm down!!! anything from goldcoast.com has to be taken with a grain of salt... no wait, make that a whole packet of salt. Same can be said for the Gold Coast Bulletin.

heelntoe
11th February 2008, 14:43
its the goldcoast.com... thats not even a legit news site

so everyone calm down!!! anything from goldcoast.com has to be taken with a grain of salt... no wait, make that a whole packet of salt. Same can be said for the Gold Coast Bulletin.

Yes, we know already...but with TG and Co. RIGHT NOW in meetings with Honda in Japan to move Motegi to make the deal work, and most every news outlet separate of Goldcoast.com covering it, the story has enough truth to now be taken very seriously.