PDA

View Full Version : Statement from Champ Car regarding merger rumors.

anthonyvop
8th February 2008, 18:19
I received this at:Friday, February 08, 2008 1:02:26 PM

Here is a statement from Mr. Kalkhoven and Forsythe.

February 8, 2008

Statement from Kevin Kalkhoven & Jerry Forsythe, Champ Car co-owners:

Unfortunately, leaks and media reports about a possible unification of
Champ Car and the Indy Racing League (IRL) have significantly hampered
discussions. Over the past three years, we have fielded and offered
several proposals regarding unification of the two premier U.S.-based
open-wheel racing series, but we have been unable to reach an acceptable
solution. Discussions currently are at a standstill, and we therefore
are proceeding with plans to continue as Champ Car.

BobGarage
8th February 2008, 18:28
discussions.

well done Robin Miller you $&*%!!!

DavePI2
8th February 2008, 18:37
That denial says it all, the merger is on. That denial sounds about as true as those issued by all the politicos the day before they drop out of the presidential race.

David

Breeze
8th February 2008, 18:43
At the very least KK and GF are telling Miller to STFU!! :laugh:

h2oman
8th February 2008, 18:48
Nice to see I will be seeing DP-01's at LB again!

DBell
8th February 2008, 19:05
It's been amusing to see the fuss caused by yet another merger/buyout rumor. Whenever one of these comes out the internet becomes like a bunch of Charlie Brown's trying to kick the football when you know Lucy is going to pull it away. For future peace of mind try this: I will believe in no merger until all the teams are on track racing against each other. :)

HoustonCartFan
8th February 2008, 19:11
Everytime the talks heat up someone backs out and blames "leaks". Is everyone involved 5 years old? I thought TG/KK/JF etc were astute business people. Just get the deal done, find out who all was leaking business info, and fire those people. That is what real business leaders would do.

I, for one, am tired of it all and want AOW united. If it cannot be united please end the agony and shut it ALL down.

Then we could get on with watching F1 and NASCAR.

ChaimWitz
8th February 2008, 19:12
I received this at:Friday, February 08, 2008 1:02:26 PM

Here is a statement from Mr. Kalkhoven and Forsythe.

February 8, 2008

Statement from Kevin Kalkhoven & Jerry Forsythe, Champ Car co-owners:

discussions. Over the past three years, we have fielded and offered
several proposals regarding unification of the two premier U.S.-based
open-wheel racing series, but we have been unable to reach an acceptable
solution. Discussions currently are at a standstill, and we therefore
are proceeding with plans to continue as Champ Car.

Really? And just how is ChampCar going to pull together a field for Long Beach? We will see soon enough if anyone has any confidence in anything ChampCar's owners say. Kevin can scrape his burned toast as much as he wants to but it will still taste and smell like burned toast.

HoustonCartFan
8th February 2008, 19:15
Really? And just how is ChampCar going to pull together a field for Long Beach? We will see soon enough if anyone has any confidence in anything ChampCar's owners say. Kevin can scrape his burned toast as much as he wants to but it will still taste and smell like burned toast.

Agreed, If KK lets ChampCar turn into a burned out, useless shell I predict he may be vilified more than TG.

dataman1
8th February 2008, 19:16
That denial says it all, the merger is on. That denial sounds about as true as those issued by all the politicos the day before they drop out of the presidential race.

David

I agree! The statement released by CCWS owners is just a cover your a** move.

Rogelio
8th February 2008, 19:18
Therefore, according to KK and Forsythe, the rumor mills is hampering any hope of reunification? What the **** is he talking about. Who is he trying to *****! The media and the internet have nothing to do with a possible merger. Champ Car and the IRL are supposed to be "professional" businessess and you would assume a "rumor" or "leaked" information is not going to stall the talks of a merger.

If KK actually made this statement it leaves a lot to be desired. We have not heard from KK or any of the other Amigos for months. How about a little reassurance that the season will take place. How about a little bit of confidence, like hang in their die-hard Champ Car fans.

Shame on KK if these are his actual comments. We are not to blame, nor is Robin Miller for "stalling" possible merger talks. We know damn well that if they wanted to keep this secret, it would be kept secret. Not to mention, other than those of us on this forum, and a handful of media members, who really cares about AOWR!

Chris R
8th February 2008, 19:19
Did this statement actually come from Champcar? It is not on their website (at least not when I looked a couple of minutes ago). Just want to confirm it is the real deal and not the result of another "leak"....

In any case, one would hope that they could do the deal regardless of press coverage - there are at most 5 people with a direct equity stake in both series. While those series owners are beholden to certain contracts etc. - I doubt any of those could not be overcome with some semi-skillful negotiations as long as everyone truly wants to make it happen....

heelntoe
8th February 2008, 19:23
Therefore, according to KK and Forsythe, the rumor mills is hampering any hope of reunification? What the **** is he talking about. Who is he trying to *****! The media and the internet have nothing to do with a possible merger. Champ Car and the IRL are supposed to be "professional" businessess and you would assume a "rumor" or "leaked" information is not going to stall the talks of a merger.

If KK actually made this statement it leaves a lot to be desired. We have not heard from KK or any of the other Amigos for months. How about a little reassurance that the season will take place. How about a little bit of confidence, like hang in their die-hard Champ Car fans.

Shame on KK if these are his actual comments. We are not to blame, nor is Robin Miller for "stalling" possible merger talks. We know damn well that if they wanted to keep this secret, it would be kept secret. Not to mention, other than those of us on this forum, and a handful of media members, who really cares about AOWR!

Come on folks, this is KK we're talking about. It was what, a handful of days ago he was saying he saw nothing from TG about an offer and now this. Please...TG's on a plane to Japan shortly and we won't know much else until about Tuesday, imo. There are a mountain of details for this to happen, but it's happening.

dataman1
8th February 2008, 19:27
[quote="Chris R"]Did this statement actually come from Champcar? It is not on their website (at least not when I looked a couple of minutes ago). Just want to confirm it is the real deal and not the result of another "leak"....

The message is real. I received it via e-mail directly from CCWS Operations.

gofastandwynn
8th February 2008, 19:29
Did this statement actually come from Champcar? It is not on their website (at least not when I looked a couple of minutes ago). Just want to confirm it is the real deal and not the result of another "leak"....

The message is real. I received it via e-mail directly from CCWS Operations.

Nice to see who are the real guys trying to stop a merger...

anthonyvop
8th February 2008, 19:34

I received it directly from Champ Car.

nanders
8th February 2008, 20:04

David
I'll agree with this if what MarkC says "02/08/08 According to AutoRacing1.com sources, a Champ Car team just had an IRL car delivered to their shop, which is more evidence a merger may be at hand." is true .....

...... and what Curt Cavin says "02/08/08 International Speedway Corp., which owns several tracks that host races on the IRL's schedule, recently refused a request to move the April 27 race at Kansas Speedway in order for the Japan race to take that date." is true as well ... and depending on what "recently" is.

garyshell
8th February 2008, 21:25

Yes, if these were two publicly traded companies and they were in the midst of the required due diligence period and leaks started affecting stock prices this would be plausible. But NONE of those things are true, so what the hell is KK talking about. This is the second time we have heard this "rumors" undid our planned merger. BULL HOCKEY.

Gary

SoCalPVguy
8th February 2008, 22:18
Statement from Kevin Kalkhoven & Jerry Forsythe, Champ Car co-owners: Unfortunately, leaks and media reports about a possible unification of Champ Car and the Indy Racing League (IRL) have significantly hampered discussions. Over the past three years, we have fielded and offered several proposals regarding unification of the two premier U.S.-based open-wheel racing series, but we have been unable to reach an acceptable solution. Discussions currently are at a standstill, and we therefore are proceeding with plans to continue as Champ Car.

I call BS on Kalkoven - blaming leaks and media reports as an excuse to not get this done is totally lame and an unacceptable excuse, it's a slap in the face of us real fans who want AOWR to become a more premier series with all top talent in one location.

If that's your attitude I hope you go broke tomorrow and CCWS dies because that is no leadership position, jeeze blaming leaks and press coverage on killing the deal, get real... KK, you wouldn't last a day in a real business if you can't a little heat - how the heck did you get this far ???

jimispeed
8th February 2008, 23:54
I call BS on Kalkoven - blaming leaks and media reports as an excuse to not get this done is totally lame and an unacceptable excuse, it's a slap in the face of us real fans who want AOWR to become a more premier series with all top talent in one location.

If that's your attitude I hope you go broke tomorrow and CCWS dies because that is no leadership position, jeeze blaming leaks and press coverage on killing the deal, get real... KK, you wouldn't last a day in a real business if you can't a little heat - how the heck did you get this far ???

Why do you blame him?? Maybe it's not KK that's stalling......

lele
8th February 2008, 23:57
To say the media is a spoiler in the merger is such an embarrassing cop out. The truth is that the merger isn't going through because they don't want it to. Kevin and the gang are fooling themselves if they believe this is a good thing. I have gone to several races over the years, but I am done. Somehow the guy only hears what he wants to and sadly, that information is distorted. So fine, another year that fans are kicked in the gutt. Nice job.

lele
9th February 2008, 00:03
How Do We Get Kk To Hear Us Our Frustrations? Is There A Website? A Person? Who????? And I Do Believe Kk Has Taken The Heat Off Tony George By His Own Hand. What An Idiot.

I'm Ready To Call Long Beach And Ask For A Refund. And By The Way, I'm Tired Of Seeing Barely 15 Cars In A Field. It's Ridiculous And Not Good Racing.

cartpix
9th February 2008, 00:04
Why do you blame him?? Maybe it's not KK that's stalling......

Stalling for what? So there's no time left, to make it happen? Why? So CC can go on with another lack luster season of musical chairs, with rent a rides, until they have to come up with enough Mexicans to pull off the Mexico City race? Or maybe he just wants to prove to us, that he can make it through a season without canceling a single race. What exactally is he stalling for, Jimmy. Maybe they'll bring several bags of letters, addressed to Santa Clause, to deliver to KK, like in Miracle on 43rd Street, and Champ Car will be saved.

Jeff

CCFan
9th February 2008, 00:34
Stalling for what? So there's no time left, to make it happen? Why? So CC can go on with another lack luster season of musical chairs, with rent a rides, until they have to come up with enough Mexicans to pull off the Mexico City race? Or maybe he just wants to prove to us, that he can make it through a season without canceling a single race. What exactally is he stalling for, Jimmy. Maybe they'll bring several bags of letters, addressed to Santa Clause, to deliver to KK, like in Miracle on 43rd Street, and Champ Car will be saved.

Jeff

I agree, cartpix.

If there's a chance to make it happen this year, then they should go for it & use 2008 to work out the bugs & grease the skids for 2009.

If they don't get it done now, then we have another whole year for someone to find a reason NOT to do it. That would be unbearable after 13 years.

tbyars
9th February 2008, 00:55
I received it directly from Champ Car.

You would think the folks at CCWS would know how to spell Mr. Forsythe's first name correctly.

beachbum
9th February 2008, 00:58
"Discussions currently are at a standstill, and we therefore are proceeding with plans to continue as Champ Car."That is a very odd statement. The implication is that if discussions were ongoing, they weren't going to continue as Champ Car. It almost sounds like they feel they are forced to now plan to continue only because talks have "stalled". If they really believed in Champ car, I would have expected a much stronger statement than one that reads like a lament.

I suspect that little quote will puff out the chests of those who have been apoplectic over the possibility that Champ Car may cease to exist, but the fact that KK felt the need to state they have been working on this for three years should make the cheerleaders pause. If KK and GF really thought they could go it alone, or even win the "war", they would have told the IRL to buzz off, not try to make a deal every year.

So if the "deal" stumbles, KK and GF will polish off the cars and wallets and try to stumble onward for another year. Sad, really sad.

Chaparral66
9th February 2008, 02:49
well done Robin Miller you $&*%!!!

Right. And I suppose Robin Miller is responsable for Ford leaving CCWS, a messed up TV deal, and AJ Almendinger and leaving. *Sheesh* :rolleyes: .

cartpix
9th February 2008, 02:55
Right. And I suppose Robin Miller is responsable for Ford leaving CCWS, a messed up TV deal, and AJ Almendinger and leaving. *Sheesh* :rolleyes: .

Don't forget global warming...

Jeff

Chaparral66
9th February 2008, 02:58
Of course. How silly of me to forget...

gofastandwynn
9th February 2008, 05:52
I am still trying to understand how KK could a leak about a merger would bring it to a halt....unless he is out to **** somebody....and that somebody finds out...

jimispeed
9th February 2008, 05:55
I am still trying to understand how KK could a leak about a merger would bring it to a halt....unless he is out to**** somebody....and that somebody finds out...

Maybe it's not KK, and it's someone else who has issue with it behind the scenes!!

CCWS77
9th February 2008, 06:21
I am still trying to understand how KK could a leak about a merger would bring it to a halt....unless he is out to **** somebody....and that somebody finds out...

Simple explanation for that. But it is not very pleasant. If the deal would allow KK and GF to walk away with a pocket full of cash, give TG everything he wants, but screw over anyone else involved in CCWS such as employees, track venues, Teams, equipment suppliers, sponsors and even fans.

Cart750hp
9th February 2008, 06:27
It'll be fine.

FerrrariF1
9th February 2008, 19:56

Actually the statement has been made by the IRL also many times over. George as well as those inside his organization have also stated (many times) that the media needs to keep out of this and let the parties talk with no interferance. Why is all the blame always put on Champcar? Miller does NOT care about openwheeled racing in the U.S. he has done his best to discredit Champcar as well as the IRL since 1996. If he really cared about openwheeled racing he would be a journalist.

OWFan19
9th February 2008, 20:26
Actually the statement has been made by the IRL also many times over. George as well as those inside his organization have also stated (many times) that the media needs to keep out of this and let the parties talk with no interferance. Why is all the blame always put on Champcar? Miller does NOT care about openwheeled racing in the U.S. he has done his best to discredit Champcar as well as the IRL since 1996. If he really cared about openwheeled racing he would be a journalist.

Oh come on. Saying Miller doesnt care about Openwheel racing is an all out false statement. If anyone has ever met him, thats all he is. His knowledge of Sprint Car history is amazing. I had the priveledge of sitting with him and listen to him talk and talk and talk about the history of Indy and how it related to Dirt racing. I get a kick about how people complain that their isnt enough reporting on Open Wheel racing, but when one does, he is an asshole. I think in the end, Robin will come out as one that got the ball rolling. He got the merger ball rolling. Robin wants Open Wheel to be what it once was, important in our country. At least he is trying, more than others in this industry. At least he doesnt sit at his computer and tell everyone sugar coated B.S., so he says the things right or wrong, and pushes the buttons that need to be pushed.

Next chance I get, I am buying him a beer.

Rogelio
9th February 2008, 21:13
Oh come on. Saying Miller doesnt care about Openwheel racing is an all out false statement. If anyone has ever met him, thats all he is. His knowledge of Sprint Car history is amazing. I had the priveledge of sitting with him and listen to him talk and talk and talk about the history of Indy and how it related to Dirt racing. I get a kick about how people complain that their isnt enough reporting on Open Wheel racing, but when one does, he is an asshole. I think in the end, Robin will come out as one that got the ball rolling. He got the merger ball rolling. Robin wants Open Wheel to be what it once was, important in our country. At least he is trying, more than others in this industry. At least he doesnt sit at his computer and tell everyone sugar coated B.S., so he says the things right or wrong, and pushes the buttons that need to be pushed.

Next chance I get, I am buying him a beer.

I could not agree with you more. Miller is a die-hard OWR fan. Nothing more needs to be said. He bitches and complains because both series have failed to live up to expectations. Of course, he complained about the IRL because of the split, but he was equal in his criticism of CART. Now, he has every right to complain about our inept Champ Car series. Miller complains because the Amigos are failing to produce a viable product. The truth hurts, but hey when its the truth, running from it is not the solution. Both series are failing and Miller knows it. Why have two bad products, when a merger could improve the product.

I will continue to support Champ Car, but it just keeps getting tougher year after year. Let the pain and suffering begin now. START the MERGER.

Think about it. Are the Amigos ever going to improve the product? Probably not. I will watch Champ Car this year, but my "hope" is that this misery ends.