PDA

View Full Version : Drivers must be pleased

seppefan
8th February 2008, 12:24
I suppose PT, Justin Wilson, Oriel Servia, Tag and Pagenaud are chuffed as they were all looking to drive ovals.

I guess Bernoldi, Perera, Montagny are chuffed as they are signed or looking to sign with Champcar cos they want to drive ovals

I guess Graham Rahal said "Dad, I want to drive ovals but I cannot race for the family team because it might look bad in some way for you in the same way most people realsied that Michael Andretti is a complete ###running Marco in ovals and I dont want people to think your a complete '###so I will pass and try ChampCar even though I want to run ovals.

I guess Bruno is so pleased to be back on the ovals that basically nearly killed him a few years ago, sorry its what he wanted but no Indy team would sign him.

SarahFan
8th February 2008, 14:54
I suppose PT, Justin Wilson, Oriel Servia, Tag and Pagenaud are chuffed as they were all looking to drive ovals.

I guess Bernoldi, Perera, Montagny are chuffed as they are signed or looking to sign with Champcar cos they want to drive ovals

I guess Graham Rahal said "Dad, I want to drive ovals but I cannot race for the family team because it might look bad in some way for you in the same way most people realsied that Michael Andretti is a complete ###running Marco in ovals and I dont want people to think your a complete '###so I will pass and try ChampCar even though I want to run ovals.

I guess Bruno is so pleased to be back on the ovals that basically nearly killed him a few years ago, sorry its what he wanted but no Indy team would sign him.

there is always A1GP

seppefan
8th February 2008, 15:06
there is always A1GP

I know but that misses the point.

Andrewmcm
8th February 2008, 15:14
I know it's easy to be critical of racing drivers from the luxury of my armchair, but if a racing driver gets scared he/she might want to consider a change in career.

If a unified series has 24+ strong entrants it will prevent the younger and less talented drivers who are perhaps not ready for top-line Indycars to take to the track in them. I certainly feel that Marco was rushed into the ICS, and Rahal may find himself in a similar position on the ovals if/when it comes to it. AJ Foyt IV was probably rushed and let's not get started on Milka Duno.

People say oval racing is easy, but it seems to be much more of a fine art than road-racing. Millimetres do make a lot of difference on the oval as rookie mistakes (or otherwise) invariably end up in a trip to the wall.

SarahFan
8th February 2008, 15:17

don't think it does...

a strong AOWR series needs to include a healthy mix of Ovals and RC....

if that's not your cup of tea, and your not F1 talent....then go to A1GP

Henry Cutts
8th February 2008, 15:26
I think the point is that if you have just signed a contract to race CC, on road/street courses in a dp01. You might not be to happy being, told actually you have to drive a Dallara on ovals. a merger needs to happen but 2009 would make more sense then everyone would know what they are signing up for!

SarahFan
8th February 2008, 15:36
I think the point is that if you have just signed a contract to race CC, on road/street courses in a dp01. You might not be to happy being, told actually you have to drive a Dallara on ovals. a merger needs to happen but 2009 would make more sense then everyone would know what they are signing up for!

I say..Fthat....your a race car driver...strap in and race

Dr. Krogshöj
8th February 2008, 15:43
What? Driving Dallaras flat out around Iowa and Kentucky isn't as much fan as racing DP01's at Mont-Tremblant and Road America? You must be kidding.

EagleEye
8th February 2008, 15:49

I've talked to over twenty on both sides over the last 48 hours, and each one is extremely excited at the possibility that there will be one series...even Bruno.

Give it a rest, these guys are racers and realize the big picture, and just what is at stake for open wheel racing in the US.

SarahFan
8th February 2008, 15:53
I've talked to over twenty on both sides over the last 48 hours, and each one is extremely excited at the possibility that there will be one series...even Bruno.

Give it a rest, these guys are racers and realize the big picture, and just what is at stake for open wheel racing in the US.

exactly!~

ChicagocrewIRL
8th February 2008, 16:01
All I can say is "YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

I say bring in Cosworth with a normally aspirated engine...re-fire the Panoz IRL Chassis, tweak it, make it competitive. Get rid of all the massive downforce on the ovals and I think the drivers, ALL the drivers would find it one of the most challenging fun series to drive.

Then hold on for a brand new, hopefully OPEN formula for 2010. One that actually invites innovation and attracts new manufacturers.

Henry Cutts
8th February 2008, 16:08

I'm glad your not my boss! ;) I hope it happens then maybe more than 3 of the drivers will be paid!

SarahFan
8th February 2008, 16:15
I'm glad your not my boss! ;) I hope it happens then maybe more than 3 of the drivers will be paid!

sometimes leadership needs to be fearless also!

garyshell
8th February 2008, 16:41

OK, I'll bite what IS the point? And is it a point or another agenda?

Gary

garyshell
8th February 2008, 16:46
I know it's easy to be critical of racing drivers from the luxury of my armchair, but if a racing driver gets scared he/she might want to consider a change in career.

I respectfully disagree. Would you say that to Jackie Stewart when he and others in F1 stepped up and demanded more safety measures in the cars and tracks. They were afraid. Would you say that to the IRL drivers last year who demanded that Milka be taken off the track because she was a danger to all of them. They were afraid. (If memory serves me, there was a similar incident with the racing dentist.)

No, I am sorry, being afraid does not make you a coward, as your "change in career" implies.

Gary

seppefan
8th February 2008, 16:53
What? Driving Dallaras flat out around Iowa and Kentucky isn't as much fan as racing DP01's at Mont-Tremblant and Road America? You must be kidding.

I think a number of drivers prefer road courses or street courses to ovals. The guys who signed up to CC are in the main those drivers. That does not take away from the fact that, I presume, all OW drivers are looking for one series and that CC drivers will be pleased to race ovals if that is all that is on offer.

seppefan
8th February 2008, 16:57

Fair sentiment but it misses the point I was making that not all drivers wish to race ovals especially if it is the majority of the time. They want to race road courses as well if not in the main, in a series.

I am not a team manager telling my drivers what to do but a spectator saying that a large number of drivers would be pleased to race road courses. It also helps if they wish to move to F1.

seppefan
8th February 2008, 17:03
OK, I'll bite what IS the point? And is it a point or another agenda?

Gary

Is see A1GP as a level below ChampCar and so do not really see many drivers doing a Jani unless they want to get to F1 as he does. My point is these guys were looking for a series offering the circuits that Champcar does and to be suddenly advised they would be racing a whole load of ovals may not be their first choice.

It is like going to ordering fish and being told their is only meat.

No hidden agenda from me just a point that the drivers might not be so happy about the result of a merger short term ( even though they must want one ) when they had signed for CC and the circuits the series ran/ runs.

It was a sympathetic point towards the people we go to watch, the guys and girls who make the show.

gofastandwynn
8th February 2008, 20:54

From the Miller article:

“I think we’d all be happy if we’re back together and the fans would be happy to see all the best drivers in one race,” said Tracy, the 2003 CART champion who hasn’t competed at Indy since his controversial second place finish in 2002.

“We’ll be at a disadvantage to the IRL teams the first year but such is life. Getting everybody back under one roof is what needs to happen.”

Andrewmcm
8th February 2008, 21:28
I respectfully disagree. Would you say that to Jackie Stewart when he and others in F1 stepped up and demanded more safety measures in the cars and tracks. They were afraid. Would you say that to the IRL drivers last year who demanded that Milka be taken off the track because she was a danger to all of them. They were afraid. (If memory serves me, there was a similar incident with the racing dentist.)

No, I am sorry, being afraid does not make you a coward, as your "change in career" implies.

Gary

I have covered the Milka aspect of my statement in my last post.

Look at Mika Hakkinen, he got scared and he quit F1. Which was sensible. The 70s F1 is a very different era to modern day formula racing and I think they had every right to be advocating safety as the drivers' percentage mortality rate was rather high.

I guess in my mind the fear of going over the limit and being scared to drive at full speed are different things. The former is a natural intuition that prevents the driver from pushing too much whilst on the edge, the latter is a psychological effect that severely impairs their performance before they get in the car.

Look at Michael Schumacher - great driver who will never race on an oval as he feels the chances of injury are too high. He is psychologically defeated on an oval before he even gets in the car and would therefore be a danger to himself and others on the track.

garyshell
8th February 2008, 23:11
And one takes those reasonable precautions because of their fear of the consequences. Otherwise the is no need for the precaution.

Gary