PDA

View Full Version : 2007 New Car Launches - Toyota

ArrowsFA1
12th January 2007, 11:11
Toyota are first with the TF107

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56236

www.toyota-f1.com (http://www.toyota-f1.com)

John Howett
"Panasonic Toyota Racing, its creation and entry into F1, is a good example of that willingness to accept big challenges. We are challenging to create the next chapter in Toyota's motor sport activities.
"It is too early to talk about world championships and the first major challenge we have is to achieve that first elusive win. And that really is the target we have for 2007."
Jarno Trulli
"I believe we can be successful for the future. I am always very optimistic for each new season and each new car. I have heard many good things from the engineers; it has made huge steps in terms of downforce in the tunnel and mechanics in general. So I expect better results than the previous team. But we have to get on track before we can judge."
Ralf Schumacher
"Clearly everyone is asking me about the championship - and that is certainly the final wish. But for the moment we are really hungry to get the first win for us, the team and all the people who have worked so hard for the past years."

jens
12th January 2007, 11:26
http://www.f1-live.com/f1/photos/2007/team-toyota/diapo_122.jpg

After a dismal season and a lot of learning done it's time not to give excuses engaged with inexperience. Now it's their second season with V8-engines, second season with Bridgestones - elements that were faithful for them in 2006. They have realised that they need stability in the team by signing long-term contracts. So they should have all the tools to start rising. But the biggest problem, as it's in everyone's case, is of course tight competition. We have what... 6-7 strong teams, all of them aiming high. In all of their case we might think that they should do well and find advantages why they should do well. Besides them some disadvantages as well of course, which start to play vital role.

Toyota is said to have not a strong leadership and some have drawn a parallel between them and pre-Todt Ferrari, who also relied too much on their compatriots (in their case Italians). Toyota is a pioneer of their own working method (Honda as the former BAR is more based on Europe racing culture), as they are criticized for being conservative, let's give them the honour for trying something new in that sphere. Dunno whether that system really takes so much time to start delivering or if not, they should have already noticed that something has to be changed. Their goal for 2007 should be to show consistently such performances they managed in 2006 in France and United States. Based on Japanese racing tradition, Toyota is the team, who has to make the Japanese dream to come true.

Ranger
12th January 2007, 11:33
We can all think any team will be fast at this time of year, but those claims will become half true in pre-season testing, and will only be proved true starting March 18.

I expect more points from Toyota, but I don't exactly expect a higher position up the scoreboard.

But that's just a guess. :p :

RJL25
12th January 2007, 12:17
yay yet another butt ugly toyota...

Giuseppe F1
12th January 2007, 12:21
Looks like Toyota have lost 'AOL Time Warner' as a sponsor -

Their place on the front wing end plates is now taken by a lager 'Panasonic' precense

Hawkmoon
12th January 2007, 12:31
I see they've copied Renault's front wing elements, winglets over the front suspension mounts and sidepod flicks, not to mention Ferrari's airbox wing.

Car will probably go like crap, as always. Livery is ugly too.

VkmSpouge
12th January 2007, 13:09
Not the most attractive F1 car ever. If it goes as fast as it is ugly then Toyota should pick up some good points.

Their place on the front wing end plates is now taken by a lager 'Panasonic' precense

Panasonic do lager too? I wonder what it tastes like.

Sleeper
12th January 2007, 14:19
Looks rather similar to the conservative TF106. I'm not expecting much from them this year as nay team run by someone as delusional as Howett (quoted in this weeks autosport as saying they had the second fastest car in F1 at the end of last year :laugh :) is not going to be in a good position.

jens
12th January 2007, 14:25
Looks rather similar to the conservative TF106. I'm not expecting much from them this year as nay team run by someone as delusional as Howett (quoted in this weeks autosport as saying they had the second fastest car in F1 at the end of last year :laugh :) is not going to be in a good position.

Second fastest? Some would say that their drivers are so crap, therefore the car didn't look like second fastest. :p :

jens
12th January 2007, 14:44
As this thread seems to turn into Toyota-bashing thread, then...

Probably you seem to overdramatize. In these days it is very tough to make something revolutionary (like Williams in 2004, which was also a failure). Were you expecting them to be revolutionar? And you can't say that Toyota has changed nothing, even if you take into account only the outside.

1) You don't count the changes inside the car, but for example the engine has been moved forward - they are one of the last teams to do it.
2) Teams may try to hide maybe some key details from the rivals? And there are two months to go - surely we'll see new aerodynamical parts. The main concept of the car has to be right by now.

"Ugly" and "crap"? If anyone of the other 10 teams launches a very conservative car, then I really doubt you'll use such words...

I'm not saying they'll be great this season, but bury someone long way before the start of the season... Well, I'm just interested, what excuses will you have, if they suddenly might (just might!) start performing well.

jens
12th January 2007, 15:29
http://www.autosport.com/images/upload/1168602723.jpg

Picture of front suspension.

And if you don't see changes, then here is some reading to you:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56241

fly_ac
12th January 2007, 15:40
Well, let's see if that car work for them this year.

wedge
12th January 2007, 16:17
With the aggressive weight distribution and suspension geometry, I get the impression the Toyota are going for broke to get the best out of the harder BS tyres.

Ranger
13th January 2007, 01:49
Seamless gearbox... Wasn't that a Williams creation of last year that wasn't too successful?

ioan
13th January 2007, 13:17
Seamless gearbox... Wasn't that a Williams creation of last year that wasn't too successful?

It's an already a few years old concept and several teams worked on it and used it.
RBR used it last year and they said it was a good step forward in terms of lap times.
I supposed Toyota will get it right to this season and this might help them a lot.

Ian McC
13th January 2007, 15:11
Well I think most have given up expecting anything from Toyota, though with the amount of money they spend you would think they will get it right some day.

Gannex
13th January 2007, 16:39
http://www.autosport.com/images/upload/1168602723.jpg

Picture of front suspension.

And if you don't see changes, then here is some reading to you:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56241

So let's see: they have moved the centre of gravity forward, but retained last year's wheelbase. Sounds good. This wasn't an obvious way to go when the layout of the car was decided last year, because at that point it was not known how poor the 2007 Bridgestone fronts would be, relative to the rears. I think that came as a shock to everyone when winter testing began. So kudos to Toyota for having predicted correctly.

But why oh why have they STILL not managed to package the engine tightly enough to give them tucked in sidepods. I know I bang on about this every year, but every year it continues to amaze me how unwilling Toyota is to get those sidepods neatened up. Even Minardi managed it in their last ever design, and yet here is Toyota with a car that looks as rectangular in cross-section as a 1995 Ferrari.

At least they've gotten rid of the centre keel that they were carrying around for no reason last year. Zero-keel it is, but because of the higher nose, the suspension droops even more than last year, which has to be a risky proposition. The geometry is hard to set up, even with just a little droop. Now it's likely to be damn near impossible, unless those unique kinked wishbones turn out to be brilliant innovations.

Overall, I agree with those who say we should keep an open mind. Just because they've had trouble before, doesn't mean they won't break through to the front now.

RJL25
14th January 2007, 06:25
"Ugly" and "crap"? If anyone of the other 10 teams launches a very conservative car, then I really doubt you'll use such words...

i say it looks ugly and crap because of the ugly livery on the car and all the stupid little winglets on the car which all teams have these days but toyota seems to make the ugliest. my comments have nothing to do with toyota.

Storm
15th January 2007, 08:09
Fly Kingfisher - on the side of the cockpit as well.....2 yr deal with Kingfisher Air (an Indian domestic airline, also you guys might have heard of Kingfisher beer ;) )

jens
16th January 2007, 15:53
I'd like to talk about one more thing. I know many don't like Toyota's colour theme. But red and white are traditional Japanese racing colours. Big European racing countries have their own traditions (Italy - red, UK - green, Germany - white/silver, France - blue). Why is Japanese culture worse? Toyota and Super Aguri are the best examples of Japanese racing tradition.

One simple example.
Ferrari = Italian racing tradition = always red = everyone is happy
Toyota/Super Aguri = Japanese racing tradition = red and white = everyone is complaining?
Why? Why shouldn't the Japanese have their own identity?

Japanese racing culture and identity are young and in a build-up phase. People are not accustomized to them yet as they are new to the scene. The best we can do here, is to be tolerant. It is always tough to understand other cultures.

I understand that there might be too much red on the grid. But for example in pre-sponsorship era in the 60s most of the cars were green. Was anyone complaining?

Any counterarguments?

jens
30th January 2007, 14:40
Probably most of you don't care about them, but I'm still trying to follow their deeds. :p :

http://images.f1racing.net/large/67666.jpg

Toyota today at Valencia. Some new details can be found compared to their launch car.

Actually Toyota has already had one testing session in January 22 & 23 at Vairano, but media paid no attention at that.

Hotlavaaaa
31st January 2007, 00:20
I can't see any new details. Mind telling us what's different?