PDA

View Full Version : biggest last name in the history of motorsports?

RevHead
6th February 2008, 05:58
Andretti has the early lead (by a long shot)but Im sure nascar fans havent weighted in yet

Poll is in bottom right of home page
http://www.speedfreaks.tv

JovialJooles
6th February 2008, 14:04
Looks like its Andretti by a landslide, 82%.

If we are talking Globally, I'd have to agree.

libra65
6th February 2008, 16:38
The Nascar vote will be split between Petty & Earnhart. But if it wasn't, even little old ladies know the name Mario Andretti!! My 87 year old aunt knows who Mario is but is clueless about the rest of them.

6th February 2008, 17:52
"Which is the biggest Freakin' last name in the history of motorsports?"

It's not on that list.

The answer is Ferrari.

JovialJooles
6th February 2008, 18:17

It's not on that list.

The answer is Ferrari.

Ahh, but I suspect two people think it is Mosley and Ecclestone :p

Jonesi
6th February 2008, 21:18

It's not on that list.

The answer is Ferrari.

By the choices offered I took it to be race drivers only. Yes Enzo drove, but if you include him, you need to add Porsche, Dodge brothers raced and so did Chevrolet brothers, (don't think Ford ever did).

Alexamateo
6th February 2008, 21:51
(don't think Ford ever did).

Ford raced, in fact he set the World Land Speed Record driving 91 mph over a frozen lake in January 1904, but thinking better of it, he later hired Barney Oldfield to drive for him and rest as they say is history.

Abo
6th February 2008, 23:07
Bah, Ferrari is surely a much bigger name globally than those others, much as it pains me as I do like Porsches and I think Ferraris are for footballers :)

Anubis
7th February 2008, 00:29
Senna
Hill
Schumacher
Stewart
Surtees
Unser
Moss
Fangio

Depending on how you want to define motorsport...

Doohan
Rossi
Fogarty
Sheene

And if we can have Ferrari...

Porsche

Wraith
7th February 2008, 06:19
Biggest = most well known, or biggest = greatest?

Most well known: Mario ANDRETTI.
Greatest: Bill VUKOVICH or Ayrton SENNA da Silva.

harvick#1
7th February 2008, 06:23
McQueen
Icky
Pescarolo
Kristensen
Lehto

the list just goes on and on :p :

muggle not
7th February 2008, 16:37
No contest.............Andretti.

Lousada
7th February 2008, 18:24
With biggest last name I presume it means biggest family tree? Because there were quite a few famous 'Hills' for example, but not all related.

Erki
7th February 2008, 21:13
McRae. :s mokin:

DanicaFan
8th February 2008, 12:25
Patrick :D

wedge
8th February 2008, 13:27
Strangely, no-one mentioned Villenueve....

harvick#1
8th February 2008, 14:46
McRae. :s mokin:

Makinen :D

jslone
9th February 2008, 04:04
Oldsmobile.

Jonesi
9th February 2008, 04:39
Oldsmobile.

That wouldn't be a last name. (Ransom E Olds (couldn't remember if he actually raced or not) made REO Speedwagons before losing control of the company and starting Oldsmobile.)

9th February 2008, 10:09
Ok, if we assume that the "biggest Freakin' last name in the history of motorsports" is American, since the list is all-American, then from a European point of view it has to be Andretti.

A quick non-scientific poll of drinking partners revealed that all of them (in the 35-45 age bracket....sadly I'm not 'hip' enough to know anyone younger to ask) had at least heard of Mario Andretti.

No-one had heard of the others, but then NASCAR has not got any recognition in Europe, so it's not exactly a surprise.

For example, somebody asked if Earnhardt was married to Eva Longoria!

jslone
10th February 2008, 03:37
That wouldn't be a last name. (Ransom E Olds (couldn't remember if he actually raced or not) made REO Speedwagons before losing control of the company and starting Oldsmobile.)

Thanks,thats what I was unsure of,but put it in anyway.

!!WALDO!!
12th February 2008, 01:14
Look I saw Mario race in his fourth career race and his last. I saw Foyt that same year win 7 in row then 2 in a row on his way to 10 out of 13 Champ wins. Add a 4th in the USAC Sprints and USAC Stocks. One must consider the name Foyt the biggest.
See Ralph DePalma had the most wins from 1915 to 1964 in Champ Cars, then Foyt passed him and still to this day holds the lead for most wins.
Interesting that Lee Petty had the most NASCAR wins and in May of 1967 Richard Petty passed him and still has 95 more wins than the Silver Fox.

My votes: Foyt or Petty.