PDA

View Full Version : New Cars For 2010?

sanguin
5th February 2008, 16:26
There is a rumor from a person that was in Sebring about the new cars for the IRL-

" TG wants a new open wheel type of car. He doesn't want it to look like anything that resembles current open wheel cars. I didn't get details or pictures, but was told it will have front and rear bumpers and an entirely different look than what we deem as open wheel cars."

What do you think?

Andrewmcm
5th February 2008, 16:41
There is a rumor from a person that was in Sebring about the new cars for the IRL-

" TG wants a new open wheel type of car. He doesn't want it to look like anything that resembles current open wheel cars. I didn't get details or pictures, but was told it will have front and rear bumpers and an entirely different look than what we deem as open wheel cars."

What do you think?

I heard a rumour the other day too:

"People just make stuff up for the fun of it and post it on internet forums to wind other people up".

What do you think?

garyshell
5th February 2008, 16:42
What is the actual source of this rumor?

It seems VERY far fetched, given the design competition that the IRL ran less than a year ago. The big stipulation in that contest was the cars had to be open wheel.

Gary

sanguin
5th February 2008, 16:48

It seems VERY far fetched, given the design competition that the IRL ran less than a year ago. The big stipulation in that contest was the cars had to be open wheel.

Gary

True, that may have changed. It's rumored that TG is sure Honda will leave after 2009. It's also being said(rumored) that he is trying to focus on more nascar -style racing with bumping to try to attract those type of drivers and fans. He may be trying to get back to his original plan, American drivers on American ovals getting ready for Honda's departure.

garyshell
5th February 2008, 17:07
True, that may have changed. It's rumored that TG is sure Honda will leave after 2009. It's also being said(rumored) that he is trying to focus on more nascar -style racing with bumping to try to attract those type of drivers and fans. He may be trying to get back to his original plan, American drivers on American ovals getting ready for Honda's departure.

I repeat, where is the FREAKIN' source for these RIDICULOUS rumors. Bumping, yeah right. When pigs fly!

Gary

ChaimWitz
5th February 2008, 17:41

Gary

It is far fetched given the direction that was given tho the current College of Creative Arts Indy Car design competition. That said, all open wheel cars would benefit from two things IMHO:

1) Less artificial grip so that throttle control and talent matters.
2) Some way of preventing interlocking wheel launches.

I also think there is merit in having a fresh and unique look to the cars.

I know that Champ Car gave this some thought but I don't think they went far enough with the DP1.

EagleEye
5th February 2008, 18:35

What do you think?

Much of the talk is based on a concept drawing that has been making the rounds since 2003. Bruce Ashmore presented a concept car to both Champcar and the IRL, as early as Australia in 2003 (I saw the drawings m self). These were presented to team owners, and at the time I believe Bruce was still part of Menard manufacturing or engines in the UK. The car in the early drawings had Menard logos on it. I have since seen alterations of the concept presented in various forms (with air intake, w/o air intake).

The idea was the front would have a wide nose, similar to what the mid-70's Coyote and Wildcat chassis had. The nose would extend across the entire front of the car, and be rigid. Additionally, the drawing featured wider body work, and roller type bumpers in the back, similar to what is now in use on some go karts. The rollers allow wheels to come in contact and turn against the rollers, instead of riding up over a rear tire.

It was a concept drawing at the time that has changed over time. The goal was to provide closer and safer racing, though I know some engineers who wanted to keep a front wing in order to trim the cars aero out. They wanted to prevent cars from rolling up over tires, and tires from interlocking. Additionally, there was quite more additional material around the drivers head.

I believe this drawing made the rounds on AR1, and maybe someone could dig them up in the archives.

There were some good ideas, and some not so good ideas in the concept, but I know the IRL is looking to increase safety, while reducing the wheel to wheel issues of the past.

Remember, there were some that thought the early roll hoops ruined the look of a car, so there are times when technology and safety need to be advanced in place of ascetics.

millencolin
5th February 2008, 22:15

hahahahahaha... wow, thanks man. i got my laugh for the day. damn i feel good now.

Kal
7th February 2008, 05:06
I heard a rumour the other day too:

"People just make stuff up for the fun of it and post it on internet forums to wind other people up".

What do you think?

I can appreciate that. It happens all the time.

But since I was asked to address this issue, I want to highlight two cases for you to review:

1. In the original post which stated the bumpers info, I also said RLR was about to announce a factory deal with a German manufacture in ALMS. To read more, click here:

http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222262

If you find anything on the net with this detailed information, dated prior to when I posted it, please link it. Hopefully this brings some credibility to the disclosed info.

2. Bumpers / fenders. Everyone thought I pulled the idea out of my bumm. Well, I cannot take credit for the idea since it has been around for a while. Click here:

http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222270

I don't care if anyone believes me or not, but the discussion happened. Heck, maybe the guy was pulling my leg... But I doubt it. The "bumpers" were not the focus of the discussion, but more along the lines that TG wanted an open wheel car unique to IRL (meaning it would not resemble what we see as a traditional open wheel car).

But since you eluded to the idea that I may have just made it up, I think the two contained links will demonstrate otherwise.

Kal
7th February 2008, 05:07

Small correction... Honda was never mentioned in the discussion.

Wraith
7th February 2008, 06:42
So he wants to go to less driver talent in AVOIDING bumping, which would amount to a hell of a lot of legal issues if people did that on the highway, in order to be like the great billboard-on-wheels advertising company that is modern WW...oh, sorry, NASCAR.

If so, I would join the TG contingent, after believing in the need for Indy to rule AOWR for 13+ years.

7th February 2008, 12:46
2. Bumpers / fenders. Everyone thought I pulled the idea out of my bumm. Well, I cannot take credit for the idea since it has been around for a while. Click here:

http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222270

That link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/motorsports/news/1999/07/06/ms0712/) is eventually to an article dated 1999!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that's the kind of 'quality' link you are going to provide, let me do the same........

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/date/19980923/news017469.html

To offer a 1999 non-story (never happened = non story) as evidence that Haas is not going to the IRL is un-fecking-believable.

7th February 2008, 12:47

Yes, for the obvious reason that Honda were not in the IRL in 1999.

sanguin
7th February 2008, 19:13

Correct, I included a rumor that says TG is sure honda is leaving after 2009, which would make sense that he would want a new,different car for 2010 and beyond.

sanguin
7th February 2008, 19:17
That link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/motorsports/news/1999/07/06/ms0712/) is eventually to an article dated 1999!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that's the kind of 'quality' link you are going to provide, let me do the same........

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/date/19980923/news017469.html

To offer a 1999 non-story (never happened = non story) as evidence that Haas is not going to the IRL is un-fecking-believable.

Kal posted this article too, from 2007-

"Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Indy Racing League President Tony George has commissioned the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles to draft concepts of what the next generation IndyCar might look like with eyes toward a 2011 launch. Fenders are not out of the question."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20070527-9999-1s27indynote.html

I don't know why everyone is objecting/ I think its a good idea for TG to go in another direction. He hasn't got the OW fans and I doubt he ever will. He needs to appeal to the oval fans to enhance his track.

bennybigb
9th February 2008, 23:42
I didn't think IRL cars could get any uglier, but if anyone can accomplish this it would be Tony George.

Maybe the next generation IRL car will be an open top single seat Grand Am prototype. Wow, that would be awesome.

ShiftingGears
10th February 2008, 00:10
Fenders for OW cars is the worst idea I have ever heard. Only an idiot would consider them.

fan-veteran
11th February 2008, 12:30
I think that a rear fender is only needed and it will be sufficient. Otherwise (with all around fender) cars will look similar to open cockpit closed wheel prototypes of ALMS.
Definitely the car must look good and impressive.

Colt21
11th February 2008, 16:12

What do you think?

This is what EE was talking about. The picture is near the bottom of the post.

http://www.autoracing1.com/MarkC/2005/0526WarMustEnd.asp

Breeze
11th February 2008, 16:39
Ok, that's a lot prettier than what I was envisioning! Good thing I'm not on the project!

zoostation
11th February 2008, 16:48
interesting pic.

i quite like the front of the car, but the rear end looks a bit...bulky.

call_me_andrew
11th February 2008, 23:13
http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2005Misc/MenardsPrototype.jpg

Wow! That is a nice looking car.

The front wing reminds me of a Tyrell F1 car.

http://estb.msn.com/i/59/EAF21FA4B8A97AC095E5EA2D6958A6.jpg

I was just expecting to see this again.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=243&d=1168288335