PDA

View Full Version : Cotman in place

Wilf
4th February 2008, 19:56
Well, we've got the officials in place, now all we need is a fuller field. There is still time but ...

ChicagocrewIRL
4th February 2008, 20:23
http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=10483

From Tony Cotman's interview on his new job, from the IndyCar.com website.....;......

"Significantly because of (the Indianapolis 500), the league obviously is in a pretty good position," said Cotman, a New Zealand native. "They have a clear vision of where they want to go, and that's what attracts me. I've had the luxury of being part of very good race teams that have competed in both series and have come from the sanctioning organization of Champ Car, and hopefully I can apply here and contribute toward where I believe the future of open-wheel racing will be and that's right here at the IRL.

"I believe the knowledge I've acquired, especially over the past three seasons, can be valuable as we build upon the future. I can contribute in areas to help us evolve and move in one direction and take a little of the load off Brian as well."

Cotman went to where he believes the future of American Open Wheel is, and that's the IRL. Even though it is diminished, the stature of the Indianapolis 500 in the motor racing world is what keeps the IRL relevant. CCWS has no signature event that keeps it on the motor sport radar. Tony Cotman believes this to be true and he believed it would have been the savior of ChampCar if the teams ran Indy . CCWS didn't believe in this theory so Cotman bolted. The Indy 500 is THE soul of the IRL. CCWS has no soul.

speeddurango
5th February 2008, 07:26
The thing is, as long as he doesn't bring his method of calling a race in Champ Car to IndyCar without anyone in the same race control room correcting him then that would be a good thing.

infoxicated
5th February 2008, 13:13
Exactly.

Barnhart has made some awful non-calls these past few years, and then some harsh decisions when you least expect him to. Hopefully Cotman will bring some consistency to Race Control - I'm glad to have him onboard.

Wraith
7th February 2008, 06:31
One can only hope that "competition" in Cotman's mind means "innovative competition," so that if superteams must rule, stifling sameness doesn't have to automatically extend from that.