PDA

View Full Version : The end of the begining

Old Stock Nut
4th February 2008, 16:25
For a long while we have all being wanting to see our sport prosper here and have been listing a number of things we would like to see to make it happen. Well maybe we are just about to witness the phase of this sport where it enters a new era with some of those boxes ticked at last. We will have NASCAR on mainstream sport TV from next Sunday and for the next two years ( http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12993_3108146,00.html ) and with any luck at all, we will have a series in the UK that will have the car numbers to look reaslisic enough for at least a casual comparison by the end of this season. We now have an opportunity to see if the massive Sky Sports viewership is able to demonstrate an interest in the massive entertainment and merchandising aspects of roundy-roundy racing in the UK and if Duane's efforts can keep us in tune with the same look and feel for the V8 Trophy we could be entering next year or the year after with what we have been wanting since the Ascars started - lots of customers and sponsors wanting the same over here. And what price Rockingham asking for it back then.... Truely we are now seeing the end of the begining.

Tony Hurdle
4th February 2008, 20:09
Just spoke to a nice lady at Setanta/NASN or whoever they are this week and she didn't know anything about them losing the coverage. Their website also still shows them as having the deal. Apparently Setanta are showing something this weekend (the 125's etc) and then that's it. I guess I shall then be calling them on Monday to save myself a tenner a month. Oh well. It will be interesting to see how Sky's coverage compares.

Abo
4th February 2008, 22:57
Hmm, was considering going back to Setanta and paying the extra tenner a month. But now Sky has the coverage it'll be an extra £17 a month and considering all I'll watch is the NASCAR I don't think it's worth it...

JovialJooles
4th February 2008, 23:31
Please guys, keep this thread on topic...

If you want to discuss Sky's coverage of NASCAR, pop over to the NASCAR forum, we've been discussing it for days. :)

Nick Brad
4th February 2008, 23:39
I really hope it pans out as you see it OSN, that would be really great for the series.
It's all up to us to put on a fantastic show wherever we go though, not sit around and hope that it's all handed to us on a plate, that's what lead to the decline in the first place. We have excellent leadership now though and by god I think it's going to be a good year. TV coverage will come eventually, but when it does, it'll be the TV company paying us, not us paying them to show the racing.
With regards the sponsors, I'm hoping to crack one or two nuts over here, the problem is that so many companies are just run as franchises and they can't afford much on their own and the head offices don't want to know. It's the same thing as last year all over again.