PDA

View Full Version : CART 1998 at the mile

MAX_THRUST
4th February 2008, 08:40
Spent some time at the weekend watching a couple of CART races from 1998. The Millwaukee Mile in particular stood out in my mind.

Only 26 cars started the race, should have been 28 but there was'nt enough room in the pitt lane.

there were four Chasis,

Four engine suppliers,

Several ex F1 drivers,

Cart Champions,

Indy 500 winners,

The crowds were good, but were considered low at that time,

Big sponsor names, and lots of little sponsor names. Cars covered in decals......bill boards full.

Then the negative,

pit crews with no helmets,

pit speed limit was clearly very high,

TEN YEARS LATER!!!!?????

This is why I'm so fed up with the current situation. I#m so glad I recorded those races so I can sit like an old man, saying how good the old days were.
Becasue they were good!!!! I'm sorry CART is Dead, I'm sorry that there was a split, I'm sorry if this thread seems negative, but both sides in this split, need to wake up.

If you can get to see any old CART race on you tube or any where else go watch it. It'll cheer you up and make you feel sad all at the same time...Sad that things aren't that way anymore.

seppefan
4th February 2008, 09:43
This is why I'm so fed up with the current situation. ..........I'm sorry CART is Dead, I'm sorry that there was a split, I'm sorry if this thread seems negative, but both sides in this split, need to wake up.

I agree 100%. Sorry, angry, resigned, and then you get a glimmer of good news like Sebring but most of all I am angry. So many people say you are not a fan if you spout D&G. It is only because one is a fan that we do spout D&G Sorry , angry the most and kinda sad. See you at Long Beach!!

Claus Hansen
4th February 2008, 11:43
Dont blame Cart, blame 9/11, sposorship is so hard to get, and all the small decals where partners, or small sponsors, teams are happy to put your sticker on their car, if your are paying... But its not happenden anymore !

One make championship are the norm, just take a look around the world, its sad, but thats open wheel racing ano 2008...

Chapcar is a great series, either love it, or just go some where else, there are seriies enough to look at !

MAX_THRUST
4th February 2008, 12:00
In 10 years we have come so far with safety, safer barriers courtesy of the IRL, Hans device, slowly speed limits in the pitts, crews with helmets. All great stuff.

But it really hurts watching 17 cars doing nothing. 10 years ago there was 15 cars in the race that could win, with strategy or other means. Now there are two cars that might win.

garyshell
4th February 2008, 15:55
Dont blame Cart, blame 9/11, sposorship is so hard to get,

Rudy? Rudy, is that you? Wow, when did the ex mayor of NYC become a race fan?

This has to count as one of the most ridiculous bits of "logic" posted here in quite some time. Pray tell exactly how 9/11 has played a role in making sponsorship so hard to get? (This should be entertaining...)

Gary

maddog76
5th February 2008, 03:25
In 10 years we have come so far with safety, safer barriers courtesy of the IRL, Hans device, slowly speed limits in the pitts, crews with helmets. All great stuff.

But it really hurts watching 17 cars doing nothing. 10 years ago there was 15 cars in the race that could win, with strategy or other means. Now there are two cars that might win.

What series are you watching? Could Dale Coyne have had 3 podiums and a legit shot a win 10 years ago???

The racing is 100 times more competitive now.

MAX_THRUST
5th February 2008, 08:24
Because there are so few teams on track Dale Coyne can get a car up to the front. It only takes a few cars to drop out, back then it took 15 cars or more to drop out to be in the top ten,

Sorry thats competetive.......

Anyhow DCR got a 9th place at Rockingham in 2002.

Keep those rose coloured glasses on CCWS is the best series ever how dare me to remeber the CART series, and for enjoting the great races on tape at home. I'm not bashing CCWS I was making a point about a far we have come in ten years and how far it has fallen.

Its tragic that a huge sport can be dismantled into a two bit series with no real global credability...

Civic
5th February 2008, 09:16
Dale Coyne Racing "pulled in a win" a few years ago.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4dJvOZ6_Kic