PDA

View Full Version : Australia may lose Grand Prix

Whyzars
2nd February 2008, 15:36
Sorry if this is a re-post:

http://tinyurl.com/2a3hrg

Is Bernie bluffing?

Anyway, looks like there are plenty of country's that do want F1 if we don't so its probably better off to move offshore. Actually, I could never understand why Melbourne took it from Adelaide in the first place. The Adelaide Grand Prix had an atmosphere that I don't think Melbourne has ever achieved.

Just my opinion.

Albert Park
2nd February 2008, 19:22
Our 'group' from all over Australia have been going to the F1GP in Melbourne since 1998, and love it. But we're already talking about traveling to Singapore to watch a night GP in 2011.

Speedworx
2nd February 2008, 20:16
I hope the race stays. Melbourne is one of my favourite tracks.

DimitraF1
2nd February 2008, 20:52
i dont like the race, lets hope for a new European Country race

Hiryu
2nd February 2008, 22:40
Guess Bernie figured that he wasn't going to squeeze any more blood out of a turnip.

ShiftingGears
2nd February 2008, 22:40
They should move it to Phillip Island for a night race. Surely he isn't stupid enough to think that an Albert Park race at night would work. Pity, because as an Australian I like not having to wake up at stupid o'clock to watch races. If Bernie wants timeslots that cater to European audiences, just maybe he should hold more races in Europe.

Ranger
2nd February 2008, 22:57
Melbourne ain't gonna be hosting a night race.

However, Adelaide once held an ALMS race at night, so that might be viable.

Valve Bounce
3rd February 2008, 03:50
Guess Bernie figured that he wasn't going to squeeze any more blood out of a turnip.

Hey!! don't go calling our Mayer John So a turnip.

Valve Bounce
3rd February 2008, 03:54
Actually, Bernie is a greedy adopted son of a one eyed gypsy. There are other places which want the publicity associated with an F1 even are probably willing to pay for it.

Somebody should tell Bernie that when he dies of Syph, he can't take his money with him.

Valentino Rossi Boy
3rd February 2008, 08:47
Bernie should keep the Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park because it's where the F1 Season starts every year.

millencolin
3rd February 2008, 12:18
Bernie is on his high horse again... blah blah blah

for once i like to watch a f1 race DURING THE DAY!!! is that so much to ask? :p :

MrJan
3rd February 2008, 12:37
If Bernie wants timeslots that cater to European audiences, just maybe he should hold more races in Europe.

But as it is he's trying to get rid of European races too. Silverstone has been on the brink for years, as has Spa. Face it Bernie doesn't care about racing just how much money he can fit in his pockets and England, Belgium and Aus obviously don't have enough :angryfire

Big Ben
3rd February 2008, 12:37
Actually, Bernie is a greedy adopted son of a one eyed gypsy. There are other places which want the publicity associated with an F1 even are probably willing to pay for it.

Somebody should tell Bernie that when he dies of Syph, he can't take his money with him.

at least you will be able to take your dog to have a $h1T in the park all year long.

Rollo
3rd February 2008, 13:24
Australia has an policy which bans tobacco advertising. I suspect that this is more to do with selling advert space than the ability of a country to host a GP.
Cancelling the Australian GP is patently daft but perfectly understandable if you consider that Bernie has his head jammed so far up his own arse that he can actually see through his own teeth.

markabilly
3rd February 2008, 15:43
Do you have faith in Bernie above, well if the bible says it is so

And do you beleive in the saint hood of MaX, and will he steal your mortal soul....

Pretty soon we will all be singing

Bye bye american GP, took my races to china where the tobaco ads run free

Bye bye silverstone too, took my races to turkey where I own a piece of the pie

And soon, soon, I will be rid of tight arse aussies, taking that race to India for more money for me....

:love:

rah
4th February 2008, 01:29
At first I wanted him to leave it be. But really, let the silly greedy git take it. When was the last good Melbourne F1? Is it really making money for Melbourne? Are most of the fans actually going there for the supercars?

Valve Bounce
4th February 2008, 04:49
at least you will be able to take your dog to have a $h1T in the park all year long.

Actually, I live right next to and overlooking a huge park where they play cricket in summer and soccer in winter - so for Benny to have a poo is not the problem.

However, we take him there for an outing which he seems to enjoy thoroughly.

As for the timimg of the race, the race is held around 5 am in Europe, later in England, and even worse in te US, which eliminates a lot of current fans.

Having said that, it comes on at a good time for the Asian audience, and I can see this increasing in countries like China and India, not to mention an established audience in Japan.

However, I suspect that certain parties in India and Russia are willing to line Bernie's pocket with much more gold to have their countries hold what is perceived as the premier motorsport event. I am sure Korea would do the same to have their country put in the minds of potential car buyers.

wmcot
4th February 2008, 08:59
Bernie "show me the money" Ecclestone is at it again!

ArrowsFA1
4th February 2008, 09:50
Seems a fairly familiar story. Bernie puts the squeeze on a GP with these kind of comments from time to time. As long as there are other places wanting to host a GP, and who are happy to pay through the nose to do so, we will continue to see existing GP's under threat :dozey:

JovialJooles
4th February 2008, 11:10
Bernie's after more money. If he gets it, he'll stay, if he doesn't, he'll be off.

It has ever been thus...

SGWilko
4th February 2008, 11:20
Seems a fairly familiar story. Bernie puts the squeeze on a GP with these kind of comments from time to time. As long as there are other places wanting to host a GP, and who are happy to pay through the nose to do so, we will continue to see existing GP's under threat :dozey:

Isn't the Oz GP haemoraging money as it is? If I were Ron W, I'd tell Bernie exactly where he can go..... but let BCE take the race away, so there is no financial penalty incurred.....

Bernie is, quite simply very greedy. One aspect - for me anyway - that makes the F1 season what it is is having to get up at stupid o'clock to watch the races on tother side of the globe.....

4th February 2008, 12:56
Bernie is, quite simply very greedy.

Well, there is no denying that he likes to make money.

However, I think that it's a bit more complex than that.

For a start, the teams all get revenue from Bernie's deals, and also their sponsors want the maximum exposure. Maybe the Asian markets are more valuable to the sponsors now.

For example, when Fosters were pumping sponsorship money into F1 sponsorship, Australia made economic sense to be included. But now, with no Aussie companies involved, maybe the need to have Australia included isn't so pressing and new sponsors from the Asian continent are pressing for other venues.

India is the obvious one, given the sudden influx of Indian money.

Big Ben
4th February 2008, 12:58
Actually, I live right next to and overlooking a huge park where they play cricket in summer and soccer in winter - so for Benny to have a poo is not the problem.

I'm glad to find out that me and your dog share the same name :laugh:

Valve Bounce
5th February 2008, 00:11
Our 'group' from all over Australia have been going to the F1GP in Melbourne since 1998, and love it. But we're already talking about traveling to Singapore to watch a night GP in 2011.

You'll have a better time going to Hong Kong for the Rugby Sevens - its a three day expat party. Just make sure when you make the bookings that you get tickets for the event. And don't forget to buy the Rugby Sevens guernsey - they are the greatest to wear anytime.

P.S. Make sure you keep away from the Southern Stand. :eek:

Whyzars
5th February 2008, 02:23
For example, when Fosters were pumping sponsorship money into F1 sponsorship, Australia made economic sense to be included.

There has been enormous investment in the Grand Prix from hoteliers to hot dog sellers and this needs to be ackowledged.

If its a squeeze for more money or a change of timing then we should call the bluff and see what happens. Certainly Australia is not going to hold the Grand Prix at night because Bernie wants us to. People of all country's see the race as belonging to their country and this is Australia's Grand Prix, not Bernies. That may change of course. :(

India is the obvious one, given the sudden influx of Indian money.

India should definitely have a Grand Prix but there are plenty of Grands Prix still in Europe that could be relocated rather than take one from Australasia. The Australian Grand Prix can be seen as servicing the 'Oceania' fanbase and. IMO, is an appropriate season opener. The competition could wend its way back through Asia and take possibly 4 months on the road.

Saying that Australia is an expensive location might be more of a reflection on F1 organisers. The current schedule sees the cars moving around the globe in a pattern very similar to my woeful golf game.

If F1 wants to court Asia then it might need to stop seeing itself as a predominantly European entity. Maybe European Grands Prix should be the ones running at night, on Saturday, so as to increase the Asian television audiences! :rolleyes:

tsarcasm
5th February 2008, 09:25
How about the first Annual OPEC-Marlboro-F1 World Championship

we'll race in Dubai, Abu Daubi, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, U.A.E., Iran, China, Singapore, Korea, Malaysia, and ANY other country that will bend over and cough up a $20mil sanctioning fee...

Ranger
11th February 2008, 06:40
Gahaha... Bernie you hypocrite.

The premier of rival Australian state New South Wales, however, recently said that he might be interested in making a bid for a race in the famous Australian city of Sydney.

But 77-year-old Ecclestone told the Melbourne newspaper Herald Sun: "There is nothing in Sydney -- they haven't even got a circuit.

The remark regarding the absence of a circuit in Sydney does not seem to apply to the Russian city of Saint Petersburg, where Ecclestone is scheduled to meet government officials to discuss the construction of a track for an eventual Grand Prix, according to recent reports.

The billionaire also made it clear that he is serious about not including Melbourne on the Grand Prix calendar of 2011. That adds to current speculation that Australia's loss will be Russia's gain.
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080210131001.shtml

Valve Bounce
12th February 2008, 03:03
Gahaha... Bernie you hypocrite.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080210131001.shtml

It's all about money which is mega from TV ratings. When I was in Bologna last year, I got up very early to watch the GP and I was the only person in the large camping ground interested, even tho' Ferrari were strong and won the race.

Running a race in St Petersburg would be quite different because the whole of Europe and Asia as well as Us here in Oz would be able to watch the race in a good time.

Having sounded out various people here as well as what is reported in the press from out Govt., there does not appear to be the slightest chance of running the race at night here.

maxu05
12th February 2008, 19:04
I bet Bernie would not dare to tell China that Shanghai must host a GP at night. am really disapointed that Aus will lose the GP. Most, (If not all), the drivers enjoy coming to Aus, what a shame that F1 is ruled by a dictator like Bernie.

Ranger
13th February 2008, 02:41
I bet Bernie would not dare to tell China that Shanghai must host a GP at night. am really disapointed that Aus will lose the GP. Most, (If not all), the drivers enjoy coming to Aus, what a shame that F1 is ruled by a dictator like Bernie.

Of course he wouldn't! The place built a freakin' monument for him... which is why, despite being in the same time zone as Australia but with barely any fans, they won't face extermination or change in time. Same with Fuji and their Toyota money.

It's also interesting that Bernie isn't warming to Malaysia's and Bahrain's proposition of having a night race... maybe because he realises the idea will become sterile. Which makes his threat to the Oz GP even more futile because he's arbitrarily picking races that will bend further backwards for him or kick the bucket trying.

If only Bernie was as interested in the traditions of the sport as he is in his money. But to him it will all be in the name of "change" I suppose. :\