PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: BMW sign Klien and Asmer

Giuseppe F1
2nd February 2008, 13:10
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33845

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64958

BMW sign Klien and Asmer as test drivers

By Biranit Goren Saturday, February 2nd 2008, 12:47 GMT

BMW Sauber have decided to take on board two test drivers for the 2008 season, with former Formula One driver Christian Klien appointed the team's test and reserve driver, while Marko Asmer has joined as their second junior test driver.

Klien raced for Jaguar Racing and then Red Bull Racing in the 2005 and 2006 seasons, and joins BMW after a year at Honda as their test driver. Asmer is the reigning British F3 champion.

"We wanted a third driver with Formula One racing experience, as well as an up-and-coming young driver for us to train up to Formula One level," said BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen.

"With Christian we have signed on a driver who is familiar with the format of a Grand Prix weekend and can step into the breach right away should one of our team drivers have to back out.

"Marko has driven our car four times since December 4th and has made steady progress. He has worked in a concentrated, focused and calm fashion. The feedback from the engineers bears positive testimony to him, and the chemistry between him and the team is right as well."

Austrian Klien, who raced in Formula BMW in 1999, said his new position with BMW Sauber was "a bit of a homecoming".

"I'm really pleased that I will be part of the team in 2008 and continue to be involved in Formula One," the 25-year-old said.

Estonian Asmer added: "I always hoped for an opportunity to get into Formula One. Naturally I did everything I could to avoid any mistakes and to do a good job. I learnt a lot while driving in the tests at Jerez and Valencia, but also as a spectator and observer.

"I was given a very friendly welcome and got on just fine. I feel good in the BMW Sauber F1 Team and I'm very grateful to be a part of it now."

jens
2nd February 2008, 13:50
That's awesome news! :D It took quite long to make the decision, but what's most important that it's a positive one and was worth waiting. And it's also a historic moment for our open-wheelers racing history. :D All that hard work for many years has finally started to pay off. Sometimes (like after 2005) there were situations, when everything seemed to be over, but 'somehow' there was always found a possibility to keep Marko's career going. Finally Asmer has managed to reach such phase of the career, when it's not needed to think about (the lack of) money all the time and endlessly try to find some sponsors. Now everything depends on Marko - be quick and the doors will open! :)

Roamy
3rd February 2008, 00:50
now lets start taking bets on how long it take Mario to get rid Nick and install klien

gloomyDAY
3rd February 2008, 01:18
now lets start taking bets on how long it take Mario to get rid Nick and install klien
HAHA! My thoughts exactly. He's the future in F1 and I'm absolutely astounded by the great news.

woody2goody
3rd February 2008, 02:24
Klien's cool and I said he would get picked up by someone!

I'm glad he's got another chance but I don't want BMW to sack either one of their race drivers.

keysersoze
3rd February 2008, 14:11
Why would Nick get replaced by Klein?

RaikkonenRules
3rd February 2008, 17:18
Two great signings. Hopefully they will both get a race seat in the future.
I'd like to see Asmer in GP2 this year too.

jens
3rd February 2008, 20:39
I'd like to see Asmer in GP2 this year too.

Asmer has ruled out GP2 this year, because the top teams have already been filled and he doesn't see any reason to drive for a less competitive team and achieve average results.

He will probably drive either in World Series of Renault or Euro F3000.

Tazio
3rd February 2008, 21:31
I think BMW could be a very good fit for Klien.
But he still has a lot to prove in race trim!

RS
4th February 2008, 10:15
Good to see Klien get this chance, and I am glad he held out for this instead of a Force India test drive.

Can't see him replacing Heidfeld, if he was gonna replace anyone Honda should have booted Barichello and done this last year!

wedge
4th February 2008, 12:27
Asmer has ruled out GP2 this year, because the top teams have already been filled and he doesn't see any reason to drive for a less competitive team and achieve average results.

He will probably drive either in World Series of Renault or Euro F3000.

Nice to see Asmer in a BMW. I don't think he gets the attention he deserves - everyone is talking about Nico Hulkenburg. The Marlboro Masters for example, I thought Asmer did a terrific job considering Euro F3 and Brit F3 run completely different tyres.

Roamy
5th February 2008, 07:02
Why would Nick get replaced by Klein?

Because Nick told Mario that this year's car is Sh!t !!!

woody2goody
5th February 2008, 20:15
Can't see him replacing Heidfeld, if he was gonna replace anyone Honda should have booted Barichello and done this last year!

Great point, even though I like Rubens, I thought CK should have got a chance in that team. I think both will do well for their respective teams this year.

Tazio
8th February 2008, 04:09
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/02/08/klien-ready-to-step-in/

leopard
8th February 2008, 04:44
May he replace Kubica in American race this season.