PDA

View Full Version : IRL copies CC and F1 with Paddle Shifters

CCFanatic
2nd February 2008, 01:02
Yep, Dani-Drive is here. I guarentee one victory for her now.

Another IRL New Break brought to you by the forums Biggest Champ Car Fan.

call_me_andrew
2nd February 2008, 04:12
Yes, but in an alternate universe occupying anti-time, they're innovaters.

2nd February 2008, 11:02
Yes, but in an alternate universe occupying anti-time, they're innovaters.

Hmm, I've got to admire the way you claim that they are copying F1 & CC.

Talk about over-hyping your claims.

Just for your information, Ferrari introduced the paddle-shift on the 639 (and before that it was on the 638 'muletta' test car) in...................

.....................1989!

A whole 18 years before somebody got round to doing one on a ChampCar.

It is therefore pretty obvious that CC isn't exactly an innovator either. They are copying something that has been used for decades elsewhere.

Not to mention that, whilst cheaper for the teams (no missed shifts and over-revved engines) and safer for the drivers (hands on the wheel all the time) the Paddle-Shift doesn't help racing at all.

With it, because there are no missed shifts, the number of opportunities for over-taking are reduced. Driver-error is no longer a factor in gear-changes.

Funny how you should trumpet something that took ChampCar 18 years to copy themselves when it doesn't help the racing.

Yes, you know, the racing. Perhaps you should change your mantra to something new....how about...

"It's all about the racing....and the racing is diminished"?

infoxicated
3rd February 2008, 11:34
Hah!

Last year called - it wants its news back! :D

We've known about this since the tail end of last season... jees.

Sandfly
4th February 2008, 05:00
How many gear shifts are there in an IRL season anyway?? Hardley seems worth the effort to change.

Civic
4th February 2008, 05:04
F1 paddle shifters are fly by wire, while Champ Car paddle shifters are still mechanically linked. I think the IndyCar paddleshifters are also mechanically linked to the gearbox.

Speeds up for Corners
4th February 2008, 05:41
Let's see, paddle shifters? Check. Power Steering? Check. :D New weight rules? Maybe? More road and street courses? Check.

OMG, the IRL is becoming F1 lite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Next thing you know F1 reject drivers will be flocking to the IRL to buy a ride. :eek:

MAX_THRUST
4th February 2008, 11:57
Oh it'll be just like CART but without all the sponsors and cars.....