PDA

View Full Version : Alfa Brera

Tazio
11th January 2007, 10:16
I manage to find 2

http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/792/bscap0001wl9.jpg
http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/5836/bscap0000ak4.jpg

Second link. Nice freakin' Alfa Dude!
I wolld like to see more picks of this craft!
Anyone know the model?

janneppi
11th January 2007, 10:29
Isn't that the new Brera?

Tazio
11th January 2007, 11:01
Isn't that the new Brera?
THANKS MY MAN! lOOKS LIKE A CLEAN LITTLE COUPE!
http://www.brera.alfaromeo.com/

janneppi
11th January 2007, 11:48
Yeah, the looks almost makes me forget the italian built quality. :p :

fly_ac
11th January 2007, 12:02
I'm not a ALFA fan at all, but I have to admit it does look rather nice. :blackeye:

ioan
11th January 2007, 12:24
Yeah, the looks almost makes me forget the italian built quality. :p :

Ferrari is also italian made, but not too many complain about the quality!

janneppi
11th January 2007, 13:01
When you spend 200000Eur for a bleeding car, youre not going to tell people it breaks down often are you? ;)
I was under the impression that older Ferraris(and other Italian sportscars) did break down quite often and needed constant care. It has to be better nowadays though. But they aren't known for their built quality, at least not Alfas.

ioan
11th January 2007, 13:39
It has to be better nowadays though. But they aren't known for their built quality, at least not Alfas.

It doesn't mean they are bad though.
There will always be a car a bit better technically (Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc) but how much better? Just a little.
Alfas are better looking though, so they are aiming to other people than the manufacturers listed above (although I like Audis a lot for their sleek style).

Tazio
11th January 2007, 13:41
When you spend 200000Eur for a bleeding car, youre not going to tell people it breaks down often are you? ;)
I was under the impression that older Ferraris(and other Italian sportscars) did break down quite often and needed constant care. It has to be better nowadays though. But they aren't known for their built quality, at least not Alfas.

Jan you are the one that helped me get started on this romp off subject, but your wrong about ALFA reliability. I know because I own one. Although not considered as reliable as the older Mercedes or Porshe's. They are considered as, or more reliable than Jaguar, and definately more reliable than the lesser Brit sports cars ALFA has been a mark of excellence since roughly 1911. Like Ferrari(90%),mazeratti, and Lancia. they are now owned by Fiat. The only thing that pisses me off about ALFA Romeo is that they have not been sold in the U.S. for over 10 years. Hence my ignorance to new model types!
Once again thanks for the info------------Peace

janneppi
11th January 2007, 14:16
According to TÜV reports of reliability, Alfas like 156, 145/146/147 are in places about 70-80 on the list, having 3-4 times more problems than the top cars.
My flatmate can tell some fun stories about his old Alfa 75 too.
As he put, it's fun to drive but you never know when it's going to break apart. :)

I've read somewhere that Alfa Romeo is pushing to be in US market with the new line up, the 159 sportswagon is gorgeus, the Brera, new Spider, GT, all are fine cars, i'd be happy to own one, with some reservations. :)

Tazio
11th January 2007, 14:54
According to TÜV reports of reliability, Alfas like 156, 145/146/147 are in places about 70-80 on the list, having 3-4 times more problems than the top cars.
My flatmate can tell some fun stories about his old Alfa 75 too.
As he put, it's fun to drive but you never know when it's going to break apart. :)

I've read somewhere that Alfa Romeo is pushing to be in US market with the new line up, the 159 sportswagon is gorgeus, the Brera, new Spider, GT, all are fine cars, i'd be happy to own one, with some reservations. :)

Part of the reason ALFA Romeo had problems in the 60's and 70's was due more to inovation than poor manufacturing. They were the first production car to have fuel injection. It was however mechanical fuel injection. And was terribly unreliable! when saab introduced electronic fuel injection, ALFA was the next to incorpoate it into it's machines. ALFA definately had a drop off in the 50's-70's, but really bounced back. My '83 spider veloce has over 200,000
miles on it, and with regular maintainance continues to run wonderfully. Maintainance is the key. performance comes stock, and I consider that a bonus!

As for returning to the U.S market they have been threatening to do that since the year they left. I will believe it when I see it! ------- Cheers

Donney
11th January 2007, 15:29
I saw two Breras two days ago one black and the other one red, they are beautiful cars, I really want to have one.

viper_man
11th January 2007, 16:50
Im lucky enough to know someone who has one, looks fantastic in black. Plus he's never had any problems with reliability and he's had it for a while. Should always have been rear wheel drive though.

CarlMetro
11th January 2007, 17:07
Ferrari is also italian made, but not too many complain about the quality!

Simply because the service intervals are so close together that it should never get the chance to go wrong.

A typical example would be a Testarossa. Service interval is every 4,000 miles. Compulsory part of the service is a complete valve change. Each valve costs £128 and there are 48 of them.

Now when you're changing major components of an engine every 4,000 miles you'd expect it to keep running wouldn't you?

Anyway, back to the subject...........

Yes, I like the look of the new Brera but doubt that Alfa have improved on their legendary reputation for poor reliability. I owned a 155 a few years ago and it was a fantastic car to drive, when it wasn't in the garage being repaired.

Woodeye
11th January 2007, 17:10
May I just add that the new 159 is one of the most beautiful cars that I've ever seen.

And now coming to think about it, I don't ever remember seeing an ugly Alfa.

ioan
11th January 2007, 17:24
Simply because the service intervals are so close together that it should never get the chance to go wrong.

A typical example would be a Testarossa. Service interval is every 4,000 miles. Compulsory part of the service is a complete valve change. Each valve costs £128 and there are 48 of them.

Now when you're changing major components of an engine every 4,000 miles you'd expect it to keep running wouldn't you?

Testarossa was produced quite some time ago.
I doubt that newer models have so short service intervals.
Does anyone know what the service interval is for a Modena for example?!

CarlMetro
11th January 2007, 17:26
Part of the reason ALFA Romeo had problems in the 60's and 70's was due more to inovation than poor manufacturing. They were the first production car to have fuel injection.

Just a little history lesson.........

Bosch actually invented the mechanical, and indeed the electrical, fuel injection systems.

The first commercially produced car to have a petrol fuel injection system was the 1955 Mercedes Benz 300SL, closely followed by the 1957 Chevrolet Corvette.

The first examples of electronic fuel injection were installed in AMC's 1957 Rebel Rambler, although this was a high-cost option and was woefully unreliable. The first true production car to come with electronic fuel injection as standard, know as D-Jetronic, was the VW 1600TL in 1967.

CarlMetro
11th January 2007, 17:37
Testarossa was produced quite some time ago.
I doubt that newer models have so short service intervals.
Does anyone know what the service interval is for a Modena for example?!

After a bit of research........

F430 requires a service every 6,250 miles, an F355 every 5,000 miles. Not sure about any of the others but all models require a cambelt change every 18,000 miles, which means an 'engine out' job. Add to that the cost of the parts, front and rear pads £600 a set, clutch every 5,000 miles or so at around £1,500 and a complete exhaust (not including manifold) £3200 or there abouts.

But then this thread isn't about Ferrari's ;)

viper_man
11th January 2007, 21:42
Id back that up, the majority of higher end prestige cars, Ferrari or not, would of course need servicing at very regular intervals

schmenke
11th January 2007, 22:56
And I assume that if even one of the scheduled service checks is missed the vehicle warrantee is void? :s

CarlMetro
11th January 2007, 23:45
And I assume that if even one of the scheduled service checks is missed the vehicle warrantee is void? :s

Yes, and in the case of Ferrari, it has to be a dealer or official franchise to carry it out.

Just as another little Ferrari titbit. If you decided to purchase something like a 550 Maranello, it will depreciate at a steady £4,000 a year and you should budget aproximately the same ammount for servicing and running costs for the same time span. You'll find that even with normal driving the Pirelli P Zero tyres will only last 5000 miles at best, a snip at £900 a set of four :eek:

fly_ac
12th January 2007, 11:40
Nice freakin' Alfa Dude!
I wolld like to see more picks of this craft!

Have two nice pics.

fly_ac
12th January 2007, 11:42
Have two nice pics.

and 2. :dozey:

viper_man
12th January 2007, 11:54
Tazio - http://www.supercars.net/Search2?INPUT=brera&searchType=cars