PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500 under the lights ?

RaceFanStan
11th January 2007, 14:51
Probably, the Daytona 500 is scheduled to go green @ 3:15 PM EST.
The 2006 Daytona 500 took 3 hours 33 minutes to complete.
Sunset will be at 6:16 PM so it appears that the Daytona 500 will finish under the lights.
It will be interesting to see how the darkness affects track temperatures, the cars engines & handling.

Speedway official states, "We're looking forward to seeing the ... racing under the lights with the sparks ..."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO there could lots of sparks from a big crash ... :eek:
because of the change the cooler track temperature has on the car's handling ... :s

Jonesi
11th January 2007, 22:18
I don't think there's much increased danger, if the teams know and plan adjustments into the car's setup. It's a bigger problem when a race that's expected to finish mid afternoon, gets delayed (rain or cautions) into darkness.

onebadwheel
11th January 2007, 22:20
Great way to start out the season with an 'under the lights' race, even if it is only the final laps.

Speedworx
12th January 2007, 00:14
Boooo!!!

NASCAR needs to think about the European audience!

oldhippie
12th January 2007, 00:47
what stan forgot to tell you is that FOX requested the time change

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/01/08/scene_daily88.html

Jonesi
12th January 2007, 01:55
Boooo!!!
NASCAR needs to think about the European audience!

Won't that be primetime for you, something like 7-11pm? Here on the Pacific coast I like the post noon start time. ;-)

Smilieangel489
12th January 2007, 02:37
I thought it ended in the dark last year too?

djarumdudley
12th January 2007, 06:16
it did. get those ratings Na$car! hopefully this years race won't be
rushed/run in deplorable condition like the 06 race so Fox can get the simpsons to start on time.

call_me_andrew
12th January 2007, 09:31
If NASCAR could, I'm sure they'd run every race at night so everything is nice and gimicy (I'll make that a word). I guess racing in daylight is a tad too prestigious for Brian.

Erki
12th January 2007, 11:04
Won't that be primetime for you, something like 7-11pm? Here on the Pacific coast I like the post noon start time. ;-)

If the race ends at 7pm East Coast time then that is 12am(midnight)GMT, but 2am in Estonia(where I live). I wouldn't complain though, races that end at 11pm are much more complicated to follow here. :)

Speedworx
13th January 2007, 00:33

3:15pmET = 8:15pm UK. Race would finish around midnight UK at a guess. Not as bad as a night race (midnight-4am UK) Still prefer a race that finishes around 11pm to get a decent nights sleep before work.

Erki
13th January 2007, 07:09
I thought it ended in the dark last year too?

Last year's race was misty as hell, cameras could hardly catch the cars in opposite corner of the track.

harvick#1
13th January 2007, 09:06
If NASCAR could, I'm sure they'd run every race at night so everything is nice and gimicy (I'll make that a word). I guess racing in daylight is a tad too prestigious for Brian.

this is nascar's major problem with the ratings, ratings are down because people are watching their primetime shows and don't want to miss them, Nascar never really had competition other then the NFL in the mornings, but they also started earlier then the NFL which caught some good attention, now that its in primetime, its everyone for themselves

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 09:39
I am of the honest opinion that they like the nice visuals of the cars at night, but the sun setting off Corner 1 might be ugly if it is a bright day. Add on the fact that it can get dang cool a night and I just don't think it is a great idea for the fans either. Getting out of there in the dark might be fun, but hey, I guess they do it at the July race, so they know better than I.

I just think something is missing in the tradition of having the race start at 1 EST and ending just in time to catch an early supper.....

call_me_andrew
13th January 2007, 21:09
I am of the honest opinion that they like the nice visuals of the cars at night

They like whatever the fans will pay them for. I'm just afraid that NASCAR will turn into "the sport for people easily impressed by shiney things".

BobbyC
14th January 2007, 03:53
I haven't heard of that issue in the two years the 500 has been run with a 2:30 PM or later start.

SOD
14th January 2007, 07:13
can't wait for the big one to happen when the low lying sun obscures the drivers vision.

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2007, 07:21
Bobby, I think it was an issue 2 years ago, but last year it was so hazy and overcast that no one knew when the sun went down, it just sort of started gray and got darker.

IF there is a bright cloudless day, and a lot of Daytona 500's have been, it may be an issue.

Of course, I could be all wrong, but when I was there years ago for a 24 hour race, the sun went down outside of 1 and to the right just by the grandstand. I am curious to know if there is going to be an issue. I would hope there isn't, but I know the sun is big in the windshield going through 4 towards the end of some days as well.

NASCAR could start this thing at 3am and still get ratings, but I wonder sometimes if they try too hard.

F1suxmoose
14th January 2007, 11:16
Great news! I like night races!