PDA

View Full Version : Wake me up when it's one series!

mikiec
31st January 2008, 11:01
Nearly a year ago, I posted on this forum

Wake me up, when pre-season ends - 2nd Mar 07, 11:18
...... to paraphrase Green Day.

I've had enough of all the negative bull on here. See you when the green flag drops at Vegas.

A lot has happened since then and I've increasingly found myself becoming more and more negative and disillusioned with the way Champ Car was being run and its future.

The events of the past couple of weeks, since the Robin Miller article, have finally sealed it for me. I've come to a few conclusions, which I'm sure many of you have also reached, but which I've mainly ignored in the past. The rose-tinted spectacles are off and I don't like what the AOWR world looks like without them.

So, here's what I've concluded:-

1. Champ Car will never get to be anywhere near where CART used to be and will never compete with NASCAR or any other major sport in North America without very, very large amounts of money and effort being spent on marketing and PR. However, based on the current ownership's record, that isn't going to happen. IMHO, the IRL has got this part (at least some way) right. We all had a laugh about Simmonds (sp?) from KISS and the 'I am Mindy' song, but they've pulled off a stroke of genius with getting Helio on "Dancing with the Stars". They now have (at least) two household names in the US, Danica and Helio (I'm sure most people probably only need to hear their first names to know who they are). How many has Champ Car got? NONE, no-one, zero, nobody! The important thing here is that it's not about me and you, the hardcore AOWR fans who post on and/or read a couple of forums day-in, day-out... it's about Joe and Josephine Public who don't know the hp of a Cosworth XFE turbo engine in a Champ Car, or couldn't differentiate between an IndyCar and an F1 car. They're the people that sponsors want to reach. At the moment, Champ Car is racing for rich people and forum nerds.... sorry if that sounds harsh, but sometimes the truth hurts.

2. The IRL has a good mix of American and 'International' drivers. If the IRL can do it, why can't Champ Car? Because they're virtually all ride-buyers. This HAS to change because no-one in North America is interested.

3. It doesn't matter what the cars look like or what the engines sound like, as long as the racing is good. Yes, I'm sure all the CC fans on here want DP-01s with turbo engines, but to Joe and Josephine Public, they won't know the difference.

4. It has to be ONE SERIES, called IndyCar!!!! It's so obvious to virtually every team-owner and driver in CCWS and IRL that this is what needs to happen. It's obvious to most of us fans and, most importantly, when it is (eventually) one series, it will be obvious to Joe and Josephine Public! It's too confusing at the moment and complication makes people switch off. Make it easy and people will watch!

5. Regardless of whatever the history, bridges need to be rebuilt and relationships patched-up. I believe that most of the team owners are willing to do this with the exception of GF (who didn't show up for most of the '07 races), PG (no comment) and PN (who I feel will probably retire from team-ownership quite soon anyway).

6. Anyone who stands in the way of achieving the other points should be by-passed... this must be achieved at all costs in order to save the sport of AOWR, and a few egos will have to be bruised!

7. The recent events have shown that even the most die-hard supporters want this and I find myself agreeing more with people like Indycool than some of the Fanatics on this forum.

8. If the teams want to move to the IRL for 2008, it can be made to happen! TG manages to get 33 cars on the grid for the Indy 500, so he can do it for the other races, even if it means fielding old chassis.

Just a footnote to this - while I was clearing out some things yesterday, I came across a disk with a Champ Car race from Cleveland from a couple of years ago as well as an IndyCar race from Watkins Glen from the same year (2006 I think). I watched most of the Watkins Glen race and the thing that struck me was that, although it wasn't the best race in the world, it looked like an American Open-Wheel race. And if you take a step back for a minute, that's what we all want, one North American open-wheel series.

There are ways of doing this, and I believe that the CCWS structure means that contracts can be gotten out of quite easily if the 'Amigos' want to.

KK (IMO) wants it, but he appears to have been sidelined by "the three idiots". My advice to him (FWIW) would be to offer to sell his shares to TG. However, it's likely that there's a clause that any shares must be offered to the other shareholders first and so I'd sell up to GF and move PKV to IRL. Leave Champ Car to the idiots to keep spending hand-over-fist for a series with 14 cars (or less), faked attendance figures and no TV audience.

Until there's one series, I won't be searching out races on Eurosport 2, at stupid hours on a Sunday night. And if the hardcore fans are switching off, what will Joe and Josephine public be doing?!

My two-penneth!

seppefan
31st January 2008, 11:12
My two-penneth!

Worth more than two-penneth.
Good, sensible and I am sure that many agree with you. I think KK will cash in or walk away as GF is letting the side down and the other two are t@ssers. A fly in the opintment is the overall hatred of TG but I guess that will mellow and frankly tough to those who don't like the sound of the lying ***** like me !!
What interests me is where Cosworth and P1 go from here but I expect KK is working on it.

One series from 09 is very possible, lets just hope TG does not screw that up like GF/PG have CC.

MAX_THRUST
31st January 2008, 12:20
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!! (highlander)...

Makes complete sense and nobody needs to loose there head over it.

Well written thread, thank you for taking the time to put it into writting, I get too frustrated these days when I write threads and just end up not bothering.

Joe Public is the looser really in this madness. Joe public in the UK, still thinks Indy Cars is what Nigel Mansell won after F1. I can't be bothered to tell them it was a champ car, oh but it wasn't it was an Indy Car then, but its a champ car now, because TG started his own series.....there you go ZZZZZZZ another Joe public fell asleep on me telling them about the sport I used to be so fanatical about and now all I want is for the two series to merge. I don't care if TG is in total control, I don't care any more who is, as long as I get something like CART back in return.

bblocker68
31st January 2008, 15:39
Great post. That pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Jacques
31st January 2008, 15:48
6. Anyone who stands in the way of achieving the other points should be by-passed... this must be achieved at all costs in order to save the sport of AOWR, and a few egos will have to be bruised!

7. The recent events have shown that even the most die-hard supporters want this and I find myself agreeing more with people like Indycool than some of the Fanatics on this forum.

Re : 6. Doesn't that make you sound like PG et al ? Your way or the highway ? Maybe you are now ready to join TG.

Re : 7. Is that a scientific poll or your own self serving conclusion ?

bblocker68
31st January 2008, 15:52
Sounds like the majority of Champ Car and IRL fans to me.

MAX_THRUST
31st January 2008, 15:56
I was a die hard CCWS fan/CART fan primarilly. I was furious when TG started the IRL. For me it was stupid. thats my opinion.

That is the whole point of these forums to express your opinions. I happen to agree with the poster who put this thread up. If you don't like it then fair enough.

Shame that not everyone can see the wood for the trees. When the three amigos saved CART, I was with them. Now it is clear that things are not getting better,

Lets give it up and move on. I'd rather watch TG's IRL than watch CCWS wilt and die like a sick dog. How can anyone not think some sort of merger is not the way to go. You would have to be dreaming or know something we all don't.

The other plus point for the US market is, alot of European drivers won't go to the IRL because they don't want to do ovals. LESS PAYING DRIVERS, so more US drivers may get their shot.

I feel for all the drivers that have had their careers during this period of seperation. They have earnt less money than they would have had it been one series. That must hurt, no wonder they all run to the NASCAR.

mikiec
31st January 2008, 16:01
Re : 6. Doesn't that make you sound like PG et al ? Your way or the highway ? Maybe you are now ready to join TG;

LOL! Yeah cos I'm in such a position to have that kind of influence! I bet GF's trembling with fear since reading my post!! :P

Re : 7. Is that a scientific poll or your own self serving conclusion ?

In what way is it self-serving? I don't work in AOWR and I'm not a paid troll either. In a way, if there is a merger of some kind, the European races are more likely to be dropped, meaning I won't be able to go and watch any races, so I'll be worse off!!

The post is just my opinion, which pretty much counts for sweet FA! The point being that I won't be losing any more sleep over AOWR until it gets fixed. I'm looking forward to the A1GP from Australia at the weekend and the start of the upcoming F1 season.

indycool
31st January 2008, 16:23
The point being made is "one series," and one series is going to be better than two series. If there's one series, the Indianapolis 500 is going to be the flagship of it, like the Masters in golf or Wimbledon in tennis. I'm sure if you asked the preferences of everyone on this board, you'd get different answers on number of road courses, street courses and ovals, who owns it, who runs it, whose ox gets gored by what, etc. But until the big kids figure out how to get back to "one series," we aren't going to know.

SOD
31st January 2008, 16:31
The point being made is "one series," and one series is going to be better than two series. If there's one series, the Indianapolis 500 is going to be the flagship of it, like the Masters in golf or Wimbledon in tennis. I'm sure if you asked the preferences of everyone on this board, you'd get different answers on number of road courses, street courses and ovals, who owns it, who runs it, whose ox gets gored by what, etc. But until the big kids figure out how to get back to "one series," we aren't going to know.

the unified series wont be any better than sum of the parts, and there wont be a return to the glory days of the early to mid 90s.

Instead of getting hung up about picking up a worthless dead series like CCWs (we're constantly told that CCWs has nothing to offer), TG should concentrate on getting his own series on a level equal to the Truck series.

Rogelio
31st January 2008, 17:01
Even with all the top teams that fled CART/Champ Car (Penske, Ganassi, Andretti-Green, Rahal, Fernadez...), the IRL has struggled for respectability. Champ Car has certainly not performed any better. However, one questions why TG/IRL has not turned it around. The IRL has the money and sponsors. Surely, the split hurts both series, but mismanagement seem to be the dominant dilemna.

Even if Champ Car were to disappear, that would not make the IRL a major OWR series. Likewise, if the IRL were to go under, Champ Car would not become a dominant series. For over a decade, both series have failed in providing the marketability, popularity, and consistency that it takes to be successful.

I really do not think anybody is going to watch the IRL because of Helio's dancing abilities. Danica, who cares, she has not even won a race. If she was so popular, why does the IRL struggle to fill seats? Danica might win this year because she is on a dominant team. Even if Danica does win, it will go back to the same point, who cares? Sadly, but the truth is, AOWR is irrelevant. I assure you that Michael Schumacher or Scott Speed would not turn the fortunes around for either series. At the current state, Americans do not care about AOWR.

Even if both series merge, the series will still struggle. TG and the Amigos have proven that they can not run a business.

nanders
31st January 2008, 17:06
4. It has to be ONE SERIES, called IndyCar!!!! It's so obvious to virtually every team-owner and driver in CCWS and IRL that this is what needs to happen. It's obvious to most of us fans and, most importantly, when it is (eventually) one series, it will be obvious to Joe and Josephine Public! It's too confusing at the moment and complication makes people switch off. Make it easy and people will watch!

5. Regardless of whatever the history, bridges need to be rebuilt and relationships patched-up. I believe that most of the team owners are willing to do this with the exception of GF (who didn't show up for most of the '07 races), PG (no comment) and PN (who I feel will probably retire from team-ownership quite soon anyway).

I think these 3 items would suffice. I think everyone but Forsyth, Pauli G and Petite are ready to go and that includes Kalkhoven going. By-pass GF, PG and DP and just get out of Dodge City.

Rogelio
31st January 2008, 17:37
You would assume that only Forsythe would be less likely to merge with the IRL because of his ties to CART. KK and Gentolozi do not share the bad blood that Forsythe has with TG. Unless, the Amigos are willing to put forth their committed effort to turn Champ Car around, then I agree that they should throw in the towell. Negotiate with TG, so that Champ Car can have influence in the IRL. Unfortunately, I can not see TG sharing power. Champ Car is in worse shape than the IRL and therefore, the IRL will have the upper hand.

For the sake of AOWR, both leagues need to do it. Eventually and hopefully, a merged series can begin to gain respecatbility and popularity it had in the early 90s.

cartpix
31st January 2008, 18:21
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!! (highlander)...

Won an Acadamy Award... For the best pictuer EVER! (Talladega Nights)

Jeff

Sandfly
31st January 2008, 18:40
Right! Thats why there are 130 looking at the Cc forum and 10 in the IRL forum. You guys have gone over the edge. If you live in the UK it's easy to suggest that we all go watch roundy round races in iowa and kansas. NO THANKS !

TG has done nothing to improve the IRL and is holding on for dear life, while his series and his racetrack go down the tubes. FANS ? Count the 15-20 that are here...

I have an idea... Why don't the IRL teams go run the CC series and add in 4 or 5 of the IRL races. I bet KK would make a good deal on DP01's and engines to teams that ran the whole season ( cant give them free- not fair to those who have bought 'em ). If a coupla teams move to CC thwn AGR and Penske can have the 500 all to themselves -- which they do anyway.

The Only way to get some unity and still have decent racing is a two division concept - bothe series come together for say 3 races -- Championship Cup -- that ups the numbers for everybody and TG still gets to run his series and the rest of us don't have to watch oval racing ALL THE TIME.

It won't happen though -- because TG wants to run ALL of open wheel.

Mark in Oshawa
31st January 2008, 19:15
This is all more blather while AOWR suffers from apathy from the general public. It is really simple, the marketplace has never been able to support two healthy series in this type of racing in North America. If Champ Car figures they can go overseas, then fine, pick up stakes from Indy where they still have their offices and get over to London or Brussels or something and make it this F1 alternative that they are playing at. The problem is the IRL has more or less taken on all the CART concepts for the most part, and TG if successful in his merger bid would pretty much balance the sched with road courses and ovals. Duhhhhhh that sounds like it JUST MIGHT WORK.

For years we hoped Tony would see the light. Apparently ina sense he has, although I still don't like him in control, it does at least appear that he is starting to understand racing.

KK and the Amigos have poured a ton of money at this thing, and meanwhile have been underwhelming in their results. It is foolish to hold the sport captive to your stubborn pride. When the Amigo's get tired of losing money, who then? What then? If they cant make it work after 4 years and a head start on fans and karma, they wont get it done now.

Listen, I have never been a big TG fan nor have I any real love for the IRL cars and their races on most of their ovals. That said, in the last 3 years they have started to push their series in a direction that is watchable, and that includes improving their broadcasts on TV. They are winning over slowly people who are tired of this crap. Until the casual fan isn't confused on what series he is watching, neither series will prosper.

If the Amigo's think they can make a go of it still, then go ahead, it is your money, but drop the pretense you re not competing for the same fans and move out of Indy then. Until you do that, you are just waffling....and being in the middle of the road is a dangerous place. I know for me, I will likely watch both series, and wonder about the tremendous waste of time the last 14 years have been.

garyshell
31st January 2008, 20:01
Right! Thats why there are 130 looking at the Cc forum and 10 in the IRL forum.

WHICH forum? The one here or at some other site? This site has never been known as a haven for IRL fans. They have thier own fora elsewhere. So using the relative numbers at this one site as any sort of measure is laughable at best.

Gary

Ice Man
31st January 2008, 23:19
It has to be ONE SERIES, called IndyCar!!!! One series yes but it doesn't have to be called Indy Car.CART survived for a long time without the name IndyCar.Despite what people think if Chris Pook had not ***** up things TG would have had to give up and CART would be the only series around right now.The name Indy had nothing to do with CART's death.

The name Indy(or the Indy 500) will not save the sport,good management will.

Racerguy
31st January 2008, 23:58
the unified series wont be any better than sum of the parts, and there wont be a return to the glory days of the early to mid 90s.

Instead of getting hung up about picking up a worthless dead series like CCWs (we're constantly told that CCWs has nothing to offer), TG should concentrate on getting his own series on a level equal to the Truck series.

I agree 100%. I love AOWR but have really had a problem getting in to CCW the past few years. Guess I was just spoiled from going to CART races in the '80s.

http://classicracingphotos.com/Gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=940

sanguin
1st February 2008, 00:35

I agree. CC owners don't have to give anything to other series. Let him prove he can be successful on his own, 12 years, we're still waiting. That's why they deserve nothing and why CC will continue.

It's about the racing, not a girl who doesn't win or a driver who dances.

LTalbot
1st February 2008, 01:37
Nice to see you Mark, I always agree with your Posts.

All I can say is I was much happier before I discovered this forum, and I was only a fan enjoying the racing in ignorant bliss. After the split, I chose a side, stuck with it and always enjoyed the on-track product. Over time I mellowed and started watched the IRL, because first and foremost, I am a Racing Fan. And over more time I began to see that TG had learned some things, and the IRL had made steps in the right direction. Champ Car has as well, I remember how excited I was in San jose at the launch party for the DP01, but it seems like every step forword has been followed by two or three to the rear. Simply put, I no longer hate TG and I think after the ultimate bone headed move of starting the IRL in the first place, the man has evolved the series into more of what I want to watch. Change is inevitable, and there has to be only one American racing series, and it needs to be called IndyCar. The Amigos should jump on board, or get out of the way.

indycool
1st February 2008, 02:09
Ice Man, a point of history: It was called the PPG Indy Car World Series and included both CART races and the Indianapolis 500 sanctioned by USAC from 1981 through PPG's departure in the mid-'90s.

Ice Man
1st February 2008, 07:33
Ice Man, a point of history: It was called the PPG Indy Car World Series and included both CART races and the Indianapolis 500 sanctioned by USAC from 1981 through PPG's departure in the mid-'90s.

Actually it was called the CART PPG Indy car world series.

I love Indy as much as everyone else but it will not save the sport it.But it will keep it afloat for a little while.

To think right now the monster known as NASCAR is getting bigger and bigger with every second. :mad:

seppefan
1st February 2008, 08:32
Not long to go.

ShiftingGears
1st February 2008, 12:09

Of course its about the racing. It's also about marketing the racing.

If Legge wasn't constantly dead last and CCWS marketing was competent you'd see CCWS flogging Legge for all shes worth.

That's a pretty big if.

indycool
1st February 2008, 13:15
Ice Man, check the series logo back then on a program or a media guide or even news releases. CART PPG Indy Car World Series may have been used inadvertently at some time or another but the name of the series was unquestionably the PPG Indy Car World Series. In fact, the acceptable shortened form of it was PPG Cup Series -- like Winston Cup in NASCAR.

MAX_THRUST
1st February 2008, 15:14
Mark as usual is speaking total sense and as usual I agree 100%.

Hell I even find myself agreeing with Indycool these days, basically because he is right. We all need one series.

As for what CART was called I don't care now, what I would like to know is would TG rebrand the IRL to the Indy Car World Series.

It sounds American, and it is Indy CAr, Joe public in the UK generally know what an Indy Car is, they just get confused with what a Champ Car is.....its an Indy Car, well was once, what do Itell people about???I just wanna say Indy Car, be done with it, they race on ovals and street and road courses, oh and an airport.,....

ChaimWitz
1st February 2008, 16:32
I agree. CC owners don't have to give anything to other series. Let him prove he can be successful on his own, 12 years, we're still waiting. That's why they deserve nothing and why CC will continue.

Actually, for you Sanguin, it doesn't appear to be about the racing. For you it seems to be about hatred. As for the Amigos, it seems to be about egos. Grande Egos. As time passes, it appears to be about business for Tony George. As for the driver who dances, I have a feeling he could give driving lessons as well as dancing lessons to all but one driver in the ChampCar field (all six). Then there is Danica. Like her or not, she has more star power than the entire Champ Car World Series. People have at least heard of her and she probably has more sponsorship behind her than the entire Champ Car World Series as well. How did all this happen? Please explain what Champ Car is doing (actually, they aren't doing much) and how all this is going to work out. You have made many posts here but you fail to ever address the fundamental issue of ChampCar's business viability. Is there a reason for this? I suspect there is.

SOD
1st February 2008, 16:41
Actually, for you Sanguin, it doesn't appear to be about the racing. For you it seems to be about hatred. As for the Amigos, it seems to be about egos. Grande Egos. As time passes, it appears to be about business for Tony George. As for the driver who dances, I have a feeling he could give driving lessons as well as dancing lessons to all but one driver in the ChampCar field (all six). Then there is Danica. Like her or not, she has more star power than the entire Champ Car World Series. People have at least heard of her and she probably has more sponsorship behind her than the entire Champ Car World Series as well. How did all this happen? Please explain what Champ Car is doing (actually, they aren't doing much) and how all this is going to work out. You have made many posts here but you fail to ever address the fundamental issue of ChampCar's business viability. Is there a reason for this? I suspect there is.

Sam Hornish lost out on star power when he was winning because fisher was getting all the star power.

if you think that the IRL is comercially viable then think again. When people were ragging on about CART not being viable the sposnorship in CARTt was way more than it is now in the IRL. The CART TV ratinngs & attendences were way more than the IRL is pulling in today. if CART wasn't comercially viable then there is no way that the IRL can be. take away the red hats and you'l find the fanbase.

SOD
1st February 2008, 16:47

the Hulamns can only be responsible for the comercial & prestige demise of the Indy 500.

indycool
1st February 2008, 17:04
They're responsible for what happens at Indy. They're responsible for what happens with the IRL. What they've done right and wrong is subject to opinion. Obviously, most CC supporters feel they have done little right. Duh.

ChaimWitz
1st February 2008, 17:07
Sam Hornish lost out on star power when he was winning because fisher was getting all the star power.

if you think that the IRL is comercially viable then think again. When people were ragging on about CART not being viable the sposnorship in CARTt was way more than it is now in the IRL. The CART TV ratinngs & attendences were way more than the IRL is pulling in today. if CART wasn't comercially viable then there is no way that the IRL can be. take away the red hats and you'l find the fanbase.

Again, a reflexive change of subject to what the fanatics think is wrong with the IRL rather than attempting to make a rational case for ChampCar's business viability. Why is that I wonder?

SOD
1st February 2008, 17:13
Again, a reflexive change of subject to what the fanatics think is wrong with the IRL rather than attempting to make a rational case for ChampCar's business viability. Why is that I wonder?

sorry doodle, you're the guy mentioning how fantastic the IRL is.

Does CART's business model make any comercial sense? no. OWRS still has a right to exist because the owners are willing to fund it.

ChaimWitz
1st February 2008, 17:44
sorry doodle, you're the guy mentioning how fantastic the IRL is.

Does CART's business model make any comercial sense? no. OWRS still has a right to exist because the owners are willing to fund it.

Actually, I didn't mention how fantastic the IRL is (it isn't). That is your insecurity talking. I am a realist and I look at what they have versus what ChampCar has now and it isn't even close. That is a reflection of how far ChampCar has fallen. As for your comment about the owners being willing to fund ChampCar. I know otherwise and the evidence seems to support the fact that they are getting tired of their hobby now that The Grandson hasn't screwed the pooch as they have been predicting. It looks like it has turned out to be quite the opposite. Get used to seeing Penske, Ganassi and NHL in the same paddock. And that paddock won't be a ChampCar paddock... We may not like it but I am ready for this to end so we can all get back to it being about the racing rather than about the spin doctoring.

SOD
1st February 2008, 17:51
Actually, I didn't mention how fantastic the IRL is (it isn't). That is your insecurity talking. I am a realist and I look at what they have versus what ChampCar has now and it isn't even close. That is a reflection of how far ChampCar has fallen. As for your comment about the owners being willing to fund ChampCar. I know otherwise and the evidence seems to support the fact that they are getting tired of their hobby now that The Grandson hasn't screwed the pooch as they have been predicting. It looks like it has turned out to be quite the opposite. Get used to seeing Penske, Ganassi and NHL in the same paddock. And that paddock won't be a ChampCar paddock... We may not like it but I am ready for this to end so we can all get back to it being about the racing rather than spin doctoring.

I'm glad its there for you. As far as i'm concerned the traffic goes elsewhere and that's what I'm watching.

ChaimWitz
1st February 2008, 17:55
I'm glad its there for you. As far as i'm concerned the traffic goes elsewhere and that's what I'm watching.

Huh? So you are suggesting that IRL teams are defecting to ChampCar? I'll have what you are drinking. Is it Goofy Grape?

SOD
1st February 2008, 17:57
yeah, goofy grape, that's it.

garyshell
1st February 2008, 18:16
Mark as usual is speaking total sense and as usual I agree 100%.

Hell I even find myself agreeing with Indycool these days, basically because he is right. We all need one series.

As for what CART was called I don't care now, what I would like to know is would TG rebrand the IRL to the Indy Car World Series.

It sounds American, and it is Indy CAr, Joe public in the UK generally know what an Indy Car is, they just get confused with what a Champ Car is.....its an Indy Car, well was once, what do Itell people about???I just wanna say Indy Car, be done with it, they race on ovals and street and road courses, oh and an airport.,....

How many of us (be HONEST now), when explaining to our non-racing friends what a ChampCar was, have had to say something like "they are sorta like the Indy cars but they ..."? I dare ANY of you to say they have not done so.

Enough said!

Gary

vintage
1st February 2008, 18:44
The IRL only exists because Tony George controls the Indy 500. And the Indy 500 (and TG's money) is the only thing keeping it alive.

The IRL has no other advantage over Champ Car - but having the Indy 500 is an advantage, nonetheless.

Most of the other IRL races are crap, other than the few road races they have adopted to try to become CART- the formula that the IRL was formed to be an alternative to.

That said, until they have one series, AOWR is doomed to obscurity.

nanders
1st February 2008, 19:35
I sure would like to hear Kevin Kalkhoven answer the questions:

Are you interested in merging the CCWS with the ICS? And if yes when would you think it would happen?

If you could think of reasons why the 2 series shouldn't consolidate what would they be?

And if you don't want to consolidate or merge would you consider getting the "NOPI chicks" to come to CCWS races so it would hold my interest a little better?

RacinRandy
1st February 2008, 20:38
I was once CART's biggest fan. As a matter of fact I worked with them for several years as an official. Back 1998, a whole 10 years ago, they had 19 races on road courses, street courses, short ovals, super speedways, and an airport. 13 of these races were in the USA. 34 drivers were in the series. At that time I concidered the winner of that series the best driver in the world. If you could win a championship on so many different types of courses, why not?

Now in 2008 we have 14 races, including 6 US races. We have no ovals at all. At the most, we will have only 17 drivers and I'm not sure how many are confirmed now. With a merge, I don't think that we will ever reach the old CART days, but it will be much better than now. When Champ Car finally goes away, hopefully most will follow the IRL way, but I expect some to go ALMS, Grand Am, or NASCAR. Looling back, as soon as CART became Champ Car the funeral arrangements were starting to go in place.

For now, I'm following F1 and ALMS.

nanders
1st February 2008, 21:13
How many of us (be HONEST now), when explaining to our non-racing friends what a ChampCar was, have had to say something like "they are sorta like the Indy cars but they ..."? I dare ANY of you to say they have not done so.

Enough said!

Gary

Gary, I know your question was rhetorical but, I wore my friends out a long time ago ..... They now know what champ car is .... however not one of them care. Of course KU football and basketball keeps them pretty tuned in. None of them care about NASCAR, Open Wheel, Drag Racing (even though we have an NHRA event here in town, and for over 10 years had 2 NHRA events), SCCA or any other kind of motor sport. However, they will watch the last place KC Royals and those awful Chiefs.

By the way Jets fans ...... why couldn't you guys have held on to Herm Edwards longer? He's "done blowed up" football around here.